collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hot Topic Phasing Out MLP in stores?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Hot Topic Phasing Out MLP in stores?
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:12:47 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that their local HT stores are barely carrying MLP stuff anymore?  Mine has a few of the Funko vinyls and a handful of shirts and comics but that seems to be it.  It has been my mane place for MLP FiM stuff.  They don't even get the variant glitter Funkos anymore so I totally missed out on that AJ cause they never got them.  Even the HT exclusive comics seem to be dropping out.  I am disappointed in HT.  It is awesome that they are getting more Disney stuff but I want some MLP stuff back.  :mad:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Topic Phasing Out MLP in stores?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
I have been noticing it, too. A year ago, they had a whole section and/or part of a wall dedicated to MLP and a ton of shirts. Now it's just the Funkos and a couple of shirts and comics.
Part of me is wondering if HT is slowing trying to phase MLP out. But why? Maybe due to possible lack of sales/popularity (HT is a pop culture shop, right?) ? The company owner not really wanting MLP merch anymore and wants to focus more on Disney merch? Either way, I too would want more MLP stuff in their store (provided they get in some more "not so obvious" shirts, if that makes sense.

I know a few years back, their anime merchandise went through a drought for a while (like at least six months to a year plus) before coming back with a ton of anime products, so maybe the same thing is happening with MLP?
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:09:30 AM »
Mine keeps gettin in all kinds of new shirts and random merch! We just got comic books and a ton of stuffed animals. Now they keep getting all this stuff, but dont bothergetting Funko restocks LOL. Theres seriously like 2 Princess Twilights, an AJ, and 1 BM. Ugh D: ORDER MORE! Lololol

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »
Yeah, it's the same in the area I'm in too. They even keep the Funkos on the very bottom shelf(the ones that are practically on the floor) behind a bunch of shirts. I barely even found them. Other than that, they have a few shirts, old comics, and empty boxes of the mini funkos. It's really disappointing.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
Mine still has a lot of everything except the Funkos. Only ever a few of them on the very top shelf where no one can reach them :P
My Wish List

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:45:34 AM »
This is sad to hear! I dont have one in my town but I like to go to the bigger town that I live by and see what they have. :(

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »
I don't check my HT... mostly because I'm uncomfortable even going there.. even more so due to the fact it's in the mall...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 06:08:36 AM »
Ours is the same. Is it sad that this pleases me. :) Maybe the trendiness is fading some.

Sarah Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »
Yep, there used to be a whole section and now it's just the various types of figures and comics. Maybe some shirts. For awhile it was same old same old stuff, nothing new, and getting kind of boring.. so maybe it wasn't selling ? Around here, Adventure Time has been tossed aside as well.

Newest things I've seen getting their own sections now are Harley Quinn, and Studio Ghibli ! Both of which are very cool with me. :D I'm hoping with Mockingjay fast approaching that they'll do another wave of merchandise for Hunger Games.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:35:21 AM by Sarah Jo »

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »
Same. Most hot topics used to have an entire pony section but now the pony items are just scattered randomly around the store.
~Foxtale~

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »
Mine used to have a whole section dedicated to MLP but they've since just moved all the Funko figures to one shelf at the very veeeerrrry top above all the POP! figures, and they have a few comic books, shirts, and other small things in various places throughout the store.  There are 6 Hot Topic's near me that I frequent (usually when the Funko figures are released so I have a better chance of running into a glitter) and they're all the same.

I'm okay with this though, as I only went to HT for the Funko figures and ever since the Octavia/DDJ Pon-3 wave, I've been pre-ordering the ponies and the last three times I had them sent to the store.  So my only reason for stepping into an HT is to pick up my pre-order and look around/ask about glitters. This keeps me from wanting to spend all my money.  :lol:

Although it was a little disappointing that not all of them seemed to have all 3 of the newest Funko figures or series 2 of the Mystery Minis.
Instagram / Want List

Offline MintamenaPie

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sailorangei.livejournal.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:29:07 AM »
I don't feel there's any real reason to worry. HT still sells a slot of Pony stuff, and just got in the new Aurora S1 style Luna and baby Spike plushes. They seem to be rotating the hot things in more. Doctor Who just started, as well as the new TMNT movie and its nostalgia merch wave, and now its Halloween next month so its costume time. When S5 starts up I'm sure they'll have a large dedicated section again.

Also look at all the website merch, including the stallion backpack that comes and goes pretty quickly! http://search.hottopic.com/search?p=Q&lbc=hottopic&uid=268569939&ts=custom&w=pony&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&af=tab:products&cnt=300

Art by SpottedSlug and MustBeJewel.

Previously known as Steves_Minty.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
I actually remember this being spoken about not that long ago when other people had noticed some reduced displays. I think its too early to say for certain to be honest - it could simply be a reduction in shelf space while other ranges come in or it could indeed be a change in direction. Because they stock merch from multiple licensees it could also be a change in what they are buying and who they are buying from.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Maybe it's a demographic thing?  Some areas are because bronies are either not that common, or don't like to advertise the fact they're bronies.  Some aren't because there are still lots of bronies?

Offline sheena

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
I had an employee of a different store that used to sell pony stuff tell me they aren't carrying it anymore because the brony phase was over.  I didn't know it was? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal