collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to Best Care For Glowing Toys? (Keep them able to glow)  (Read 1554 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
How to Best Care For Glowing Toys? (Keep them able to glow)
« on: September 12, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
Does anyone know the best practices for glowing toys?
I recently got my first glowing Funko pony, and she glows great! (Its glowing DJ) But, I got to wondering, is there any specific way to care for your glowing items to ensure they keep glowing for years to come?

Should they be in general darkness, to not activate and "Wear out" the glowing feature?
Should you keep them out of direct light, so they don't absorb too much energy?
Does it not matter?
What do you do with your glowing ponies like, GnS, Funko & Shadowbolt Dash / Zecora?
Is glowing hair any different?

I didn't know if I should be hiding her away or something, or that letting lamp light shine indirectly on her would be bad. My Glow n Shows still glow...a little. If you put them in strong light for a while like 3 min, then into darkness you can really see the stars.

Just looking for tips on how to care for glowing items, or if they needed special attention.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How to Best Care For Glowing Toys? (Keep them able to glow)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
I hope this helps, but I still have those cheap stars you stick on the wall and they still glow after 15+ years! xD Also I remember before I moved out of my parents house that my childhood Happy Meal Monster Inc Randall's mouth still glows in the dark! Im guessing you have the Funko Mini DJ? She might be fine for a while! I dont know if glow in the dark toys wear out since the toy contains phosphors that turn light into energy, that give it the glowy effect. If glow in the dark toys do wear out, I huess keep the toy in a dark place away from any light? I love glow in the dark stuff, so fun! :P

Also, anyone ever put glow in the dark stuff under blacklights? Its aaawweeesooome!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 06:59:13 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:49:41 AM »
It depends on what type of glow in the dark the toy is. I am guessing these are basic phosphorescent items rather than either of the other kinds. If thats the case they actual need light in order to glow - they "charge" from being exposed to UV and then reemit that later. This means that they are glowing all the time its just that in the dark you notice it more. So if you do want them to glow in the dark make sure you expose them to light before you test them out - let them "charge up". Keeping them in the light is not going to cause them damage. In the long run yes the phosphors will eventually break down and stop working...like any chemical will. How quickly that will happen will simply depend on the quality of the product. All my Glow n Show ponies still glow 30 years after their manufacture so it can be a long time before that happens...a very very very long time.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:23:22 PM »
I always wanted to know this! I used to keep my GITD toys under my covers when I was little as I didn't want their glow running out!

Glad to hear that long term exposure to light won't have any adverse effect on them, even if their 'glow' does break down eventually.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal