collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Making a custom for a small child...  (Read 346 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Making a custom for a small child...
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
So I was commissioned to make a Rapunzel/Tangled custom for a very young girl (she's about to turn two) - and I have asked the mother if this was to be a display piece, but she was more inclined to think it would be something her daughter could play with.  My question is this: 

How on earth can I make this child safe?  I know I can use E6000 to keep the hair secure (I was planning on doing the braids like she has in the scene when she finally gets to the town), but I want to do airbrush gradients, repaint the body, the WORKS.  I want to do lanterns on one side, the flower, the tower, even a Pasquel for her, but I really want to make sure it's safe before I do anything over the top...which means I might have to tone it down to just a regular body, small symbol, and rerooted and styled hair, which is fine, but I want it to be nice as well, and still very safe. 

Any advice?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Making a custom for a small child...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Well if the kid is going to be playing with her, and is a little kid-  I don't think you can really paint the body and expect it to not get chipped/scratched, regardless of what you seal it with-  so I agree, if you are making it kid proof, I think just a symbol paint (sealed well) and re-hair that is very firmly glued in...

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
I had some custom blind bag ponies that were sealed well. These ponies were displayed more than played with but my daughter who was about 3 or 4 at the time got a hold of them a couple of times and the paint chipped. Just some info. Good luck!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Thank you guys - so far, this is exactly what I was thinking.  I pretty much knew it anyway, but I wanted to confirm my suspicions.  I am going to warn the mom again, and see if she'd be ok with a display piece, and we will see what she says.  I would really love to make her something that she would treasure for a long time. 

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:49 PM »
I made a custom for a little girl at Christmas last year. It was one of those G3 Styling Starcatchers, with the colour change? So I gave her an FBR, with thick, thick hair, and even a sculpted name on the side (little girl's name). I sealed her several times in each Mod Podge (watered down), Triple Thick on the shiny bits, and Testor's Dullcote. Her mum tells me Daisy takes Princess Daisy (the pony) every where with her, plays with her all the time, brushes her mane and has learned to plait hair with her, and she swears she isn't chipped at all!
I never gave her a full photoshoot as I was commissioned to make her within 2 weeks (lol).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Now I don't know if Daisy the girl is either a miracle child who is crazy gentle with her pony, or I just got lucky, but maybe, just MAYBE, it's possible?

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
I haven't customed but I've commissioned for about 12 customs and I know they can get pricey based on the materials and other stuff you need.  I personally wouldn't spend tons of money customizing something to have it destroyed in two seconds.  I'm not trying to sound mean, but I feel 2 is a little young for someone to receive a custom.  I feel like that's still kind of baby age...well more toddler but still.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 07:16:57 PM »
If you're a collector, starting the child at a young age to know that some items can be "gentle toys" while other things are "anytime toys". I started my almost 4yo with simpler customs that were safer and easier on my nerves. A new symbol on a bait applejack that I gave a Perfume Puff to was the starter. Later, when she could handle it better, I will occasionally let her handle more fragile customs for pretend play under supervision. Now I don't have to worry so much about her being in their general vicinity.  ^.^
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
Totally depends on the child.  Some are that gentle some are that rough.

If the parent says she wants a play piece not a display then I would stop pushing a display piece on her and make the best simple custom you can and make that fancy one to sell to an older collector who will display it and keep it mint.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »
Strawberry, I LOVE that custom - she is so pretty! 

Also, I have already voiced all my concerns to the mom (most of which have been addressed here) and we agreed that it should be a display piece for now, and when she is older and can handle it better and gentler, she can play with it.  I will definitely take all the advice into mind though, and seal it really carefully and very well.  I want it kept as long as she can, and as durable as it can be so that she CAN play with it, but it can last for a long while.

aaaand I kinda want to make one for me now, on that huge styling size I have that has been sitting there for forever in my bait bin.  xD 

Thank you so much guys!  You all are SERIOUSLY the best.  <3

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:03 AM »
I agree with Diamond.  Get in writing (a casual email etc) that the parent agrees that you can't guarantee the same safety standards as a factory (like the kid pulling out the hair and eating it through her nose) and that it's her job to teach the child that this is a 'gentle toy' for treating specially, and only for her to play with (don't take it in for show and tell).
Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Maybe you could make the nice display one, and also a super simple one that the child could play with freely.  Not sure how that would work in the kid's mind, but it is a thought.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:16:19 AM »
Maybe you could make the nice display one, and also a super simple one that the child could play with freely.  Not sure how that would work in the kid's mind, but it is a thought.

This is exactly my thoughts. I made my nieces ponies with just painting new symbols (with their names) for them to play with and I tell them that when they are older I will make them a fancier one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal