collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ENG 102 research help  (Read 588 times)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
ENG 102 research help
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »
So our first paper is called I-search. Well I need help finding a topic. I need a question(s) that I can then go ask an expert in the field or maybe do surveys on. She recommended something that interested you, that you might already know something about since the 1 part you explain what you know, the second part you explain what you want to find out, 3 part is the research part, (so on and so on)

The example she provided was a person who wanted to know about a ceramic cup her grandma made. So the question she answered "What inspired my grandma to make the cup and how did she make it?" This person was lucky enough that her grandma had own her own pottery shop, studied under Japanese flower arrangers (this was the inspiration part) and had contact info for said people in the each field already that could answer the question like how the cup was made, how long, materials and such. 

If anyone is willing to just throw some ideas out for me or maybe if you have examples of I-search (or research) papers you have done for class. That would be tremendously helpful. She wants 8 pages but the example she provided was only 4. So I feel like I need a better examples. (I-search = the ability to use I in the paper instead of third person and first hand research like the surveys and interviews)

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: ENG 102 research help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
Silly suggestion, but maybe ponies?  As in My Little Pony?  Are you allowed to interview people/do surveys online? 

Other than that, I've got nothing.  ^^;
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »
I was actually going to suggest something pony-related as well. You are here because you like them and they interest you, so that's what's coming to mind.

Good luck! :cheer:

Aednatia

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »
Well I thought of that. What questions could I actually research? It is EXTREMELY unlikely I will get anyone at Hasbro to talk (if I did probably not before the end of the month) about how they come up with designs and there isn't any manufactures or boxers or anything here in the states that I can go to ask about the process of making the ponies  (that I know of, maybe the head honcho in charge of orders and again very unlikely to talk to that person). So I just kind of dead end for me that direction. Sorta thought about fandom wise and I could watch the Brony movie and then survey people that have watched and ask opinions about what they think about it. but it has to be 8 pages so I would really need all of it to be included not just the fandom side.

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:59:35 PM »
How about interviewing some of the fabulous custom makers here?  They have to design all their projects just as much as anyone from Hasbro, right? Maybe one of the questions can be about why they like to customize MLP as opposed to creating/sculpting something original (I don't think that would be an offensive question....).

I never had any assignments like this so I'm sorry I can't help you more. Best of luck with your paper.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:01:26 PM by aluke »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
I was thinking custom ponies too. We have a whole forum section full of customs artists you could ask questions of.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
I don't really know you (except obviously you like ponies!), so I can't really suggest a topic, but if you do choose to do a project that needs surveys I bet lots of folks here would take a survey for you.  I love filling out forms, anyway XD  And you know how popular those internet quiz things are!

Also I think aluke has a good idea. 

Another possibility is you could ask something like "Which ponies are most well-liked and what features to they have in common?"  Then you could look at things like colors, symbols, rarity, etc.  I'm not sure if this is ethical but you could compare results among ponies in the POTD threads mlp4me usually makes in the Pony Corral (I would ask her first!).  Or make your own surveys related to this.  Ah, I'm getting carried away! 

Good luck with your project :)
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »
If you decide to write about ponies, you can perhaps research the history of the popularity of ponies rather than the ponies themselves. You could write about why ponies like Mimic or Diamond Dreams or Nightglider are so desirable within the fanbase.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »
I think customs would be a great route to go.

Or how about pony fairs/meet-ups? Perhaps you could PM Summer for questions about the fair. There are also many members who set up local pony-meets that you could talk to. You could also survey the people who go to the fairs/meet-ups. You could tie this into the Brony documentary too if you wanted. Just an idea!

Good luck on your paper!

Aednatia

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 03:08:44 AM »
Thanks guys. That is a lot more questions. Keep an eye out I will probably post a survey by the end of the month then.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 09:24:46 AM »
Best of luck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Aednatia

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
Well today we did a group review on our ideas. Mine didn't go over all to well. 'Childish' in comparison to others and one 'manly man' completely opposed to it. I'm a little defeated at the idea of doing ponies if I don't have people that can help critique it without such bias opinions. Especially embarrassed about adding in the customizing part that pertains to my ties with why I chose ponies, but I never mentioned that in the group. It wouldn't be a problem if I could skip the in class activities and just have the teacher grade it, but part of our grade requires peer review.

for comparison the best option in my group was - agricultural harm of pesticides and non pesticide option pros and cons.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:00:48 AM by Aednatia »

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »
Ohhh, peer review. When your grade becomes a product of popular opinion rather than expert critique.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:51 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that  :(  Maybe they didn't think it was "important" enough.  But considering the example the teacher gave, I would have thought it in the realm of expectations.  So are you thinking of trying a different topic altogether? 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »
Ouch.  I'm curious to know what the teacher thought though.  I'm guessing you'll probably be looking for a new topic now?
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal