collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any aquarium owners here? Need some ideas!  (Read 684 times)

Offline rearing_palomino164

• Trade Count: (0)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
Any aquarium owners here? Need some ideas!
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:44:23 PM »
I am looking into getting some recommendations for a new and bigger aquarium for my fish and some decorating tips for it too. The new tank will be for only one fish and I'll get to why in a little bit. I want the decorations to be fun and safe and have a theme but I have no idea what!

This new tank is going to be for my black moor goldfish, Jeffy. Jeffy was born with some deformities and he can't be housed with other goldfish. He has only one eye and half a tail and swims very slowly but gets around fine. He also had a bad case of fin rot when I brought him home which has cleared up but given him additional problems with his tail. Surprisingly, when I brought him home from the pet store, he had a baby fish in there too, and it made me think it was another goldfish. It ended up being a guppy and they do both live together in their current tank. Jeffy doesn't seem to mind him and they both leave each other alone which is good. I've had him for 7 months now and he is getting so big! He's a trooper!

Jeffy has gotten tangled up in some of his plant ornaments that were in his tank and have since been removed. So, we are staying away from big plants. But for a theme, I wanted to do some cute tugboats or a pony theme, but I can't find anything similar. :( Any suggestions?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
Re: Any aquarium owners here? Need some ideas!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
I have a small around 1 - 1 1/2ft long tank, I currently have a unicorn, castle, carriage and mermaid in there with white stones to make things stand out. I also have some spongebob stuff that I sometimes switch over to. You can find some pretty neat tank ornaments in most pet stores or online, everything I have I brought from pet stores, but its all available on ebay too.

I suppose you could figure out a theme you want for the tank and run with that :)

Offline ladyaquitaine

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
hmm, well I've had several tanks in the past. One thing my fish LOVED was a long bubble stone in the back of the tank. They would often start at one end of the bubble stone and swim as fast as they could to the other end before the bubbles could push them to the top of the water. They played in it all the time.

I also took some marble tile that I had bought from Lowe's and broke it on the driveway, then I used the pieces to build some little caves and hiding places for my fish. They loved it, but you may want to use some stones that aren't sharp, or some stones that you can stack up. Also, most any kind of porcelain will do fine in an aquarium.  So if you can make or find some porcelain pony stuff, it will work in there too. You could also print out or buy a mlp poster of ponyville and tape it to the back of the aquarium as a background. Or use some ponyville stuff in your aquarium. It would be kinda cute imho. Post some picx once your'e done' I'd love to see it!
Special thanks to Fleur-de-Lis for my Avatar!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
I agree with bubblestones too, fish love them and it helps get oxygen into the tank.

Also, this would be an awesome background -

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
I have several fishtanks but none of them really have a theme to them.
Last summer I ended up with a comet goldfish from the county fair (not really a fan of them since they really should be housed in a outdoor pond and have a really high bioload). Since he has grown alot in the past year, I don't really have decor in there. I do have some live plants though (which I am pretty sure he snacks on). I have some Amazon Swords, java fern and some other stringy, low light plants. There is one cave with silk plants that I got from walmart a long time ago but I think he is now to big to fit in the cave.

Not a very exciting tank and I need to upgrade  :cry:

This one kinda has a theme..sort of. The fish with its but hanging out of the tube is a clown pleco and they are one of the few pleco species that need to have wood in their tanks because they eat it. I have mopani wood and that also releases tannins and tints the water amber colored which is similar to both their and the bettas natural habitat.

Anyways, this is what the goldfish looked like when I won as a fair prize

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:13:37 AM »
No ideas but I hope you'll share pics of Jeffy in his new home!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline rearing_palomino164

• MOC Mimic
  • Share a smile at least once a day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »
I'll def. post pics when I have it done. I'm leaning towards either an old west/cowboy theme or ponies. I was also thinking of a finding nemo or spongebob theme as well.

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

ruby_spitfire

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 08:57:01 AM »
I don't really have a theme for my big tank. I had a bunch of live plants but a snail outbreak took care of that :( I have a few resin rocks and caves and am looking at silk plants to fill in the empty spaces.

I have a 5 gallon "hospital" tank with white gravel and neon plastic plants. It's in my son's room since it's usually pretty quiet in there, if he keeps up his chores I might get a few purple and orange glowfish (tetra variety) and put a uv bulb in it.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
Sorry, all we have is an outdoor pond :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »
I've got a 150 gallon tropical community.

I've got a pair of german blue rams, balloon mollies, a couple black mollies, rummy nose tetras, neon tetras, black skirt tetras, fancy guppies, long finned leopard danios, white clouds, cherry barbs, 5 otolicinclus, dawrf gouramis, emerald Cory cats, galaxy rasboras, 10 or so mixed platties, guentheri killifish, threadfin rainbows, cherry shrimp, and two electric blue goby.

My substrate is all sand, and I have 4 big pieces of drift wood and all fake plants. I opted for fake plants because they are eaiser to maintain then live plants. I do however have live christmas moss on my drift wood and a few live marimo moss balls for the shrimp! I also have several pieces of large aquarium rocks in there as well.

I always opt out for a natural habitat look. But I think fun decorations are cute! My betta tank has a mini Parthenon in it.

You could always look at your local fish store for decorations! Mine always has tons! Also ebay you can find a bunch of cool stuff! Good luck!

Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal