collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How long do you spend on your console on average PER DAY?

< 30 minutes
12 (30.8%)
30 minutes to 1 hour
8 (20.5%)
1 hour to 3 hours
9 (23.1%)
3 hours to 5 hours
4 (10.3%)
5 to 10 hours
3 (7.7%)
> 10 hours
3 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: August 15, 2014, 03:53:38 AM

Author Topic: Limiting Play Time?  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Limiting Play Time?
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:53:38 AM »
Okay, this is going to sound odd, but how long do you all spend on your consoles?

Scientific research shows it can be good for hand eye co-ordination, but it can be bad too for the brain and hypothalamus, so I try not to spend more time than I feel comfortable on my console. (3DS and Wii, which I haven't touched in a month now)

I have health problems and I feel constantly harassed by my mum saying "If you want to get better, you have to stop playing your games." And this morning: " You need  to get rid of them, if you ever want to be able to get better." Which to me, is a bit farfetch'd (ha, get it?!) Anyway, I'm trying to limit myself to 20 minutes a day, but it's tricky when you set yourself in game goals, like for me, one thing leads to another, and after I've hatched that non shiny egg, I go and get another and try to hatch that one etc, so it leads on.

So, out of interest, how long do you spend PER DAY on your console? Are you cutting down? Why? Do you know the health risks concerned? What do you think of them?

Some food for thought articles:

The Daily Mail
The Guardian
CNN
U.S News
Eurogamer

Icey.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:01:06 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
Re: Limiting Play Time?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:42:58 AM »
I only play internet-based games. In total... about 20 minutes a day, but split into smaller pieces. Some days it is zero, on weekends it can be more. I watch very little TV, too. Most of my time is spent gardening, working with my animals, and selling stuff online.

As far as my opinion on how much is unhealthy... it varies by person. I used to play or watch tv or game for just about every spare minute, every day, when I was 12-25. So about four hours a day. I did have a job and work weekends, but week days and when not working I was a lazy bum.  I do think it had a negative impact on me, but I was raised in that sort of household.

I don't think anything less than an hour is excessive. It mostly depends on whether or not it is taking away from the rest of your life, and how old you are.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
I literally spend 0 minutes on game counsels daily. I haven't played a game on anything for over 2 years now. (That's how busy I am with work and other household duties.) Though I try to limit myself to no more than an hour on the arena daily (I'm lucky if I even get that)... lol

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 07:44:09 AM »
I literally spend 0 minutes on game counsels daily. I haven't played a game on anything for over 2 years now. (That's how busy I am with work and other household duties.) Though I try to limit myself to no more than an hour on the arena daily (I'm lucky if I even get that)... lol

:worshippy:

I shall follow in your footsteps oh wise one.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »
I have binges where they are nearly all I do. Then I won't touch them for months.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
If I'm really into a game and have the free time I'll go at if for a few hours.  That being said it's pretty rare and I have to really be into a game.  When I was younger I played a ton, and so does my brother.  I don't worry about the health affects but I usually turn off the 3d.  If Mario cart 8 was for the 3ds I'd be playing for hours upon hours. 

Offline Attercop

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • ~Art~
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »
When get down to it I will spend days, even weeks, on a game, but those times are few and far between. The last game a marathoned was Mass Effect 3 and due to my ever busy school and work schedule I haven't been able to play anything since.  Also, gaming makes me incredibly happy and fill me with energy and have to get up every half an hour or so to just do something active.
~Originally Soull~

InkyMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
I just let myself roll with my current interests. There will be weeks where I won't play anything at all and then days where certain games are all I think about. I tend to get obsessed with things though. I'm currently all about customising toys at the moment but I will imagine that will burn out again soon, and I'll move on to one of my other hobbies for awhile.

I don't fight it.  :lol: I'm happier this way.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:07 AM »
It depends.  im usually not playing console games every day...actually tend to only play once or twice a week.

But if something's coming out im going to be glued until I finish the game.

As far as computer games go---I actually TRY to play a bit each day because of the beneficial aspects of them. 10 or 15 minutes of bejeweled or something similar helps with speed, coordination, remembering and problem solving.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
I very rarely play video games, and even when I do it's usually stuff that doesn't take up too much time, like a few races on WipEout, a quick go on Flower or some rounds of Columns. I rarely spend longer than half an hour mucking about on games, even when I have absolutely nothing better to do.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 11:08:16 AM »
I really dont play console much, unless a new game comes out then I usually do a long sitting, then shorter ones after. however I'm on my pc more then i want to admit lol.

My son is on long during the summer months, but I try to keep it around 1-2 hours. otherwise during school months he gets an hour IF he finishes his homework, and then weekends are loosely monitored free for alls. I still try and shove him outside when i can xD.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
I have binges where they are nearly all I do. Then I won't touch them for months.
I'm the same. I haven't touched my 3DS, which is the only console I've ever owned, for a few months. I'm on the computer too much, though.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
Unless it's summertime, I usually only game from 1 - 3 hours a day. I take my 3DS to school with me and play when I finish my work, in the mornings, and during lunch. When I'm at home I usually play on my PC for an hour or on the school computers. I also play games on my phone a lot.
If I got a brand new game recently, I might spend up to four hours playing it, it just depends.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
Right now I'm in a terrible depression so my 3DS is currently my life XD I wouldn't say I go over 10 hours a day though, but it could be. It's my escape at the moment. When I'm not depressed then I hardly play it at all (unless I have a new game)
My Wish List

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »
1-3 hours, and not every single day. Sometimes I only play a few days a week. It seems like I'm always online, though! :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal