collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you balance different doll collections?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
How do you balance different doll collections?
« on: August 08, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
I get so overwhelmed trying to collect more then one line at a time. Like I love MH and the EAH lines but I just can't get myself to collect both. It's one or the other. I also love Disney dolls but I don't collect them either. A couple of years ago I hat a huge MLP collection but I got overwhelmed and I sold them all off. I just can't figure out why I have such anxiety over having so much. Maybe it the clutter. I'm still trying to figure it out I guess.

Anywho how to you collect different doll lines. Do you only collect ones you love? How do you display them all?

I hope this makes a least some since.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Re: How do you balance different doll collections?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
I don't get into the madness of COLLECT IT ALL, which helps a lot.  I buy the pieces and particulars I like.  At one point, I did try to collect them all with MLP G1, but that made me realize I was spending hard-earned money on ponies I didn't like, and for what?  The satisfaction of collecting ALL of them?  Meh, enough with that.  So, I basically kept sizing it down until I had just the ones I like.  Now, I'm about to do another size-down, and that's alright.  I'm hovering up and down around the 100 mark, that seems to be the point where I feel I have too much.  My entire MLP collection is in a stack of bookcases 8ft high and 3 wide.  Vaulted ceiling ftw. 

I also have several other collections.  I have an antique American doll collection that has about 17, last I counted, dolls, that range from 14inches to 29inches.  Some are worth several thousand dollars a piece.  To me, this collection is just about done.  There's only a few dolls on my look out list, and they so rarely get listed and they're almost all those thousands and thousands of dollars per doll.  So, unless they fall into my lap?  Not happening, even as much as I've wanted another Horsman Sweetheart. . .

I have around 20 Japanese dolls, anywhere from 6inches, to my talllest doll being 27inches tall.  They're all in glass cases, but I have displays set up, so that they work into all my decor really well.  Some of them are as old as 1870, while the newest one is probably from 1960.  Again, I feel this collection is pretty much complete and done, unless something very special popped up.  All the dolls I have are super special and unique whether it be condition, garments, styling, quality, or a mix of all of those factors.  Such dolls don't come up very often, though I may be looking at one that has a very pretty face, but I would have to totally redress in her, though I do have said supplies, but I have three other dolls in various states of restore sitting in my closet. 

I also have who knows how many kimono.  Some are for wear, since I have long taken dance lessons and do recitals, so, those least have function, but then I have a collection of Geisha's kimono of around 20-25.  Lots of antique stuff.   And then I have mini collections within that.  X_X  Luckily those displays I mentioned before are large cabinets for storing kimono.  And one of the cabinets then pulls double duty as our TV stand.  If I could get some more time, I would be selling some kimono, probably 5-10, just for some extra car part money.  It's just an issue of time and patience right now.  And again, I'm pretty much done actively collecting unless something special falls into my lap besides buying accessories for my dance needs.  One does have to buy a few new undergarments here and there and toss out the old. . .

I still have lots of open space, I would say that.  And that definitely keeps ME from getting overwhelmed.  I don't have much more for collection space, which unless I'm constantly trimming down, I just don't buy.  Since I can't stand to part with anymore of my dolls, I just don't collect them anymore.  I find I enjoy best what I have, and so I can easily go about collecting a few more of something from another collection, like MLP, as I'm still table to trim down and what not, and allow myself to buy a few more. 

In terms of space, I don't have that much.  Even now, I'm looking into buying a large house.  ( At least 2500sq/ft )  But right now, I share an apartment with my roommate that is about 1100sq/ft.  I have a bedroom, and then it's mostly my stuff that decorates the living room.  I have two cabinets, one huge, one large, the huge one is kimono and dolls, and the large one is kimono and tv.  I have some stuff on our mantle, and since it's my furniture she gets to enjoy too ( which includes a third cabinet filled with my 'liquid collection' that she gets to enjoy time to time ) she doesn't at all mind that I furnish the living room, just as long as I don't moan about the moldy book smell coming from her room.  Book packrat, that one.  XD 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Agree strongly with trying to resist collecting it ALL.  FORCE yourself to only collect the things that are really really awesome, not just stuff that is cute.  Think about all the stuff now that you have that you wish you had thought twice about the first time around.

Don't even hesitate to thin down the ranks when you can.

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:03:21 PM »
Agreed!  Don't try to collect them all...I tried that with MH and quickly got overwhelmed, so I've been thinning out my collection for a while.  I collect all different kinds of dolls, but I try to keep it to the ones that I absolutely LOVE.

I've decided I can't deal with all the clutter, so with things I already have, I've been thinning out and making room for several months now...my trick is I'll move things into the back bedroom and put them on the shelves where I never see them.  If I don't miss seeing them after a few weeks, out they go, to make room for something else.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
I "collect" lots of different things... but only my very, very favorites.   So whenever something new comes out,  I narrow everything down to the one I like the best.  It's hard!   But after that, whenever I see the others, I just think I already have "the very best one".   It helps.   

My biggest weakness is when I'm surprised to see something at the store.  Then I want it right away.   >_<   MLParena and MHarena have actually helped me cut down on the surprises.  Then I can really think about what I want before I go to the store.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:26:20 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:47:54 PM »
I'm uber picky and want just a little bit of a lot of different toys. It works for me.
  Hope you can find a nice groove. :)

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys!

I'm hoping that with my new job I'll be able to buy what I like. Just not everything.

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »
I know how you feel! I was once in the same boat Heehee I love too much stuff!  My advice: dont try to collect 'everything' of everything you wanna collect. Collect maybe 1 of each character, stick to budget releases OR clearance/sales like meeee! Also ask for certan dolls for Christmas or your birthday! :D It really helps!!!  I like to collect MLP, Pomemon plush, EAH, MH, and Disney (mostly Frozen heehee!). I suggest stalking the crap out of your thrift stores and ANY store that sells dolls because stuff can get marked down at anytime!

As far as displaying, I have a big closet/ laundry room with nothing in it so its now the Doll Room. I take advantage of the long empty walls and keep my dolls, some pokemon figures, and even Infinity figures on the wall by using a pushpin and 'pegging' them to the walls. If they dont come with the plastic clear hangy-thing I have millions at work that I take handfulls of home and stick them on the back of the doll boxes to hang them up! Doll boxes make lovely wallpaper! LOL! I want a giant bookshelf so I can put my ponies in that room! My small G4s are stuffed in a storage desk atm completely hidden and out of the way. Pics later to come!

Spoiler
PICS! *some* pictures of my room :-) As you can see hehee I love to take advantage of walls!! ALL these toys I am sharing below I have either gotten on SALE or CLEARANCE! Heehee Honest to the moon truth! I will even list locations and prices! Im a cheapo! Hahah! xD I sadly collect much more than this in this room but I wanna focus on all the fun stuff Ive been a patient little cheapskate on.

Playsets aquired from TJ Max all under $20, talking Princesses were sales, G4 zillas were BOGO 50% off at Dollar General, Zelfs $3 at Walmart, tins BOGO Free sale at cpmic book store, Rainbow Dash box FREE from Target, all the goodies are holiday pony items (mostly valentines day cards and christmas gift sets) clearanced to 50% off or more, Wild Rainbow Scoots 15% sale at Target, TRU exclusive glowies were 20% off sale, etc.

Again, all these were aquired via sales or clearance! Draculaura was $15, Frankie (black friday version) was $10, Skelita was $18, Duece FREE (present xD) Cleo was $12at Justice sale, Catrine $19.99- my 10% off discount, Catty was $17 at Target, Abbey was $5.98 at Target, Robecca and Lagoona were $5 at Kroger, Maddie was $19.99 - 10% off discount, Cupid was $18 at Target, and lastly Hunterella set $17 at Target. Wooooot!

ALL these novistars were $5-$7 each at Walmart except Cici- she was $3.50!

All skylanders were clearanced at Walmart and TRU, most under $7. Pinkie Cooper dolls were all $5 each from Walmart and the MH dolls are thrift store finds!

Infinities are all aquired through sales at Best Buy and Walmart. I got Jack for $10 and that poster was FREE from Gamestop!

So see? You can buy your favorites that grab your attention now and if you can be paitent find more dolls you want on clearance and have more $ for other dolls!It can be a gamble though
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:15:11 AM by Sprinklecupcake »

Offline kadytheredpanda

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
I recently broke down my collection:

11 Sailor Moon
10 Winx Club
5 WITCH
5 Barbie
4 Monster High
1 Ever After High
1 Madeline
1 Vocaloid
1 Licca
1 Spirou et Fantasio (custom)

Mainly I like to collect magical girl/Euro series dolls with some Barbie and MH/EAH secondary focus. After that there's the occasional thing I will collect because I really liked it but not the actual line. Like everyone else said I'm trying to forgo the "collect them all" mentally and grab only what I really like. There's lines where I want all the dolls (special editions, certain magical girl transformation forms) but I try to prioritize with favorite characters. I want mostly Rebel EAH characters, for example.

I also have an "expensive taste but cheapskate mentality" of sorts so I usually will only buy a doll if it's at the lowest or near lowest price I can get it. Like, I wanted all five Disney Store WITCH dolls and managed to find them for $35 combined with all accessories and outfits on eBay (and that was the lowered price!). If I bought the dolls separately it would've cost a lot more (I've never seen Hay Lin separate, Will can go for up to $100). I knew that was probably the lowest price I could ever get all of them together in such great condition unless I had some miraculous thirft store find so I snapped it.  A couple months ago I had a similar situation with a Sailor Moon doll lot. Five deluxe Irwin dolls, all still in box. If you broke down the price per doll they were near original retail price versus $30+ each separately. Had the money so added to cart immediately. I don't always buy lots but if there's a lot of dolls that I want in there for a good price I like to at least bid. I recently kicked myself because someone had near complete Mattel Winx dolls for a great price and I got outbid by one dollar at literally the last minute ><

I also tend to focus depending on what I feel my collection needs or what I want to collect at that moment. Right now I mainly want Sailor Moon and Winx Club so I'm scouting the prices on various prices online (eBay, Amazon, Tumblr, blog and forum sales) and seeing what fits into my budget and how bad I want that particular piece. There's also Monster High on my birthday wishlist (I'm an August baby)but I think starting next month Monster High dolls will go higher on my wishlist since Halloween is coming up. I feel I want more accessories and male dolls (I only have... four?). If I find a Tintin or Captain Haddock doll that I want to get either or both real bad.

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 01:56:18 AM »
This is a really interesting thread and I'm going to respond properly, later, but I wanted to make sure I'd remember.

I would say that if you want to be a completist & it makes you happy & doesn't interfere with anything, then go for it. Some people collect really successfully that way and it's very satisfying for them. But if it's overwhelming because you feel like you have to collect a certain way because other people do, or for some other reason, then try to just collect what you love and remember to have fun! :D

As for how I collect, I'll need to be a little more awake to formulate my response properly (but I did ask a similar question to my Flickr friends, once, which you can see here if you like!)

Short version: I just collect what I think is cute but try to keep my biggest collections to Barbie (vintage & 80s), Tammy & Blythe. Unfortunately I don't display most as I've not got the room but I bring them out for photos.

Long version: I will think about it (as in, how I balance that).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:58:43 AM by andibgoode »
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline SwordPony

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:17:35 AM »
I am not a completist not could I ever be. I do admire people that can collect them all. I just don't have the room. I get way over whelmed with about 10 dolls.

I think I'll just keep me a very small collection of EAH dolls. And focus more on getting my BJD girl lined out. 

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:23:44 PM »
I think priorities are my answer. I know you've already gotten some great answers, but that's how I do it. EAH takes top priority. I am a completionist when it comes to EAH. That's just me. Then for MH (I got into the game in 2012, so a little late) I just get what I want.

I got lucky, because I found Toot's Toys. He gets things in intervals (earlier than the stores) so I was able to get everything that came out this fall a little early and little bits at a time. If I had to pick up Thronecoming and Hat-tastic and their playsets and worry about finding Dexter and then Legacy Day Wave 2 and the Lizzie! Whoa! That sentence is a lot! And it would have cost a lot all at once, but spacing it out since this spring has been so helpful.

I'd say: be happy. Find something that works for you. If you are happy having 10 dolls, don't let anything deter you from that happiness. If you want 110 dolls, go for it. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
Usually on their stands.........Sorry......Someone had to say it........

I tend to choose the sorts I like best and focus on those. The ones I sorta like, I'll get a few of the ones that I like best and that's all. Right now m BJDs out rank most others but I do have large Jun Planning, MH, and LaLaLoopsy Minis collections. I have all the Pinkie Coopers (there weren't alot of those anyway) and a few La Dee Das, NoviStars, EAH, and a few others. I guess I buy one or two of ones I like and if I decide I really like them I'll get more, but otherwise, I'm satisfied with just the couple. As for display, the ones I adore most at the moment stay out. The others have boxes. I switch them around sometimes but all of them are never displayed at once. I tend to play with my dolls and when I'm ready to play with different ones, those come out and the others go up. Some never go up. My JP dolls and my BJDs stay out. They are my favorites and I can't bear to shove them in a box.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »
I currently collect a few different kinds of dolls and the amount of space I have available for them has plenty of room for new dolls so no issues there. However, since there are so many different collections I tend to buy dolls in stores when I find them and I buy online if/when I find good deals. Usually I'm feeding my EAH and MH collections but I still manage to make new additions to my other collections every now and then.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
Yeah, really specialising helps. Then it becomes more manageable, and you end up being really knowledgeable about certain kinds and people will hold you up in awe! (That's what I tell myself!).
And selling a few cheaper ones to buy one more expensive harder to find one helps too, since you have something to show for saying goodbye to the others. I have had hundreds of dolls over the past few years, but have no room or pence, so have had to downsize, which is so hard, but I've kept the irreplaceable ones, and bought more expensive ones with some of the money raised through selling the others. Not quite a manageable collection yet, but I have to photograph the others I'm selling so I have a record of them, then I've found I also don't miss them as much when they go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal