collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Gauging Interest: My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Gauging Interest: My Little Pony Community Quilt Swap
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »
Woohoo! I would love to do this :---D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »
I love the idea of dropping in for one month and making a pillow case or framing it!  That would be a perfect way to participate if you don't have the time to commit to doing all 12 mini-swaps. 
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
I am interested, but I don't quilt.  I do paint and could make squares with fabric paints.  Is this an option?

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2014, 08:16:28 PM »
I don't see why not. We could all state preferences, of course, but I personally wouldn't have any problems with a painted square.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
I might be interested then.  I just don't know how to actually quilt!  but maybe I could learn if there is something simple I could hand sew.  I could do some kind of embroidery/knotting actually. 

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
What a fun idea!!  I have never quilted before (except for crocheted ones), but I would love to learn a new skill.

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
Yes- you could definitely paint squares instead of applique or sew them.  I would like to match people according to their making and receiving preferences. For example, if in the form that someone sent me they said they were only comfortable painting squares, I would match them with a partner who indicated they were okay receiving painted quilt squares.  There are so many ways to make a quilt square that I think anyone who wants to join should be able to find a way they can make a really awesome square.  I also want to have them be 18" square so that even if someone only wants to participate onces they can use the square to make a pillow or frame it as a wall hanging. I should be submitting the swap request to the mods after this weekend :D
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
I would like to match people according to their making and receiving preferences. For example, if in the form that someone sent me they said they were only comfortable painting squares, I would match them with a partner who indicated they were okay receiving painted quilt squares. 

I'm confused by this.  Are we only making one square for one person?  Or squares for everyone involved so we each get the same number of squares?  I was pictureing getting a square from every member and some might be quilted fabric, some might be embroidered, some might be painted, some...other? 

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was one square to one person per Swap instance... To make things easier on all. I know receiving 12+ squares at once would be cool but think of all that work you would have to do as well!  :shocked:

You would list your preferred type of square to receive (painted, embroidered, etc), your preferred skills to use (same), what (if any) focus you would want for your square [I'd like a Mountain Boy quilt personally  :P], and if any colors are truly verboten for you.

If one to one is a little tame for one month, maybe each person could have up to 4 partners. I, personally, think that 2 would be as much as I could handle with life and kids to contend with but, who am I to be a stopper? ^^;
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

Offline brighteyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
I would like to match people according to their making and receiving preferences. For example, if in the form that someone sent me they said they were only comfortable painting squares, I would match them with a partner who indicated they were okay receiving painted quilt squares. 

I'm confused by this.  Are we only making one square for one person?  Or squares for everyone involved so we each get the same number of squares?  I was pictureing getting a square from every member and some might be quilted fabric, some might be embroidered, some might be painted, some...other? 

The current plan is to have the swap be a series of 12 mini swaps- each having four weeks of working time.  During each mini swap you would be assigned one partner based on your abilities and technique preferences matching their abilities and receiving preferences.  If you participate in all 12 swaps you will end up with enough squares to make a large quilt.  If you participate in only 9 of them, you can make a smaller twin size quilt and if you participate in 6 you can make a lap quilt.  Even people who participate in one or two swaps can use their squares to make pillows or frame them for display. 

We decided to run the swap this way (if it is approved) because it will allow people who cannot commit to doing 12 blocks to participate.  I think it will be a really nice way to get more people involved and give plenty of working time to make really awesome squares :D

Post Merge: August 15, 2014, 11:44:39 AM

If one to one is a little tame for one month, maybe each person could have up to 4 partners. I, personally, think that 2 would be as much as I could handle with life and kids to contend with but, who am I to be a stopper? ^^;

I think having as many as two partners at a time could be doable.  The squares will be large (18 inches) so it will take time to make them and we wouldn't want people to get overloaded and not be able to finish.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:44:55 AM by brighteyes »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:28 AM »
Okay thank you for explaining how it works!  Sounds fun!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
I know there's submissions for the Arena fundraising quilt going on, but what about this "square swap"?  :) 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal