collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non-pony brag!  (Read 439 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Non-pony brag!
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
(x-posted from my blog.  :) )

In 1979, Mattel released a new line of fashion dolls called Gorgeous Creatures. It’s possible that Gorgeous Creatures could be a delayed response to Hasbro’s Peteena the Poodle doll from the ’60s, as both toys were humanoid animal fashion dolls. It was a pretty silly concept at the time, and perhaps it’s still a little silly now.

Though Gorgeous Creatures are not as elegant as Peteena or other anthropomorphic dolls out there, they are still pretty cute and I’ve wanted them for quite some time. I filed them away into the back of my mind to remember in case I ever found one at a yard sale or something.

Yesterday I went to the antique mall looking for ponies, like always, and not finding any, like always. Sure enough, what do I see behind glass but these, all with their boxes! And for only $38 too… that’s a steal, I think! They’ve been removed from their rather worn boxes before and they do have some gentle play wear, but all of their accessories are there (except for the horse’s perfume bottle) and they are just too cute!

I didn’t want to remove their clothes but I took a peek up their dresses to see how they were made. I was expecting the torso to be a Barbie mold, but nope! It was sculpted specifically for this! Or at lease I assume so, since they are marked 1979 on their backs. I also find it kind of neat that like Barbie and her etched plastic panties, these girls have an etched plastic corset. They are so delightfully curvy. I love it. The arms and legs have strange proportions that bother me a little bit, but these dolls are still way precious. They each come with a mirror, a comb, a brush, a perfume bottle, a pair of shoes, and, strangely enough, a picture of their boyfriends! I’m not a fan of the shoes either. They have straps and a strange peg that I can’t seem to get to hook into place.

Anyway, Mattel continued their Gorgeous Creatures line until they decided they were too silly and ceased production at the end of 1980. I don’t think that they are particularly popular, but I’m glad that I stumbled upon them because they do make a nice addition to my collection.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Non-pony brag!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
Those are really cool! I've never even heard of them before, I think that's a great score :D congrats on nabbing them, definitely a unique collection piece

Offline Baby_Honeycomb

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Wow, never seen those before! Don't think they were released here. Always nice too see something new although it's old :)

Send via Tapatalk on my Galaxy - blame autocorrect for every mistake ;)

:biggrin:  There is always space for more ponies  :biggrin:
My wantlist http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,358238.0.html

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
Very cool!  I've never heard of those either...great additions, I love the hippo!

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »
Thanks! I'm glad that you guys like them. :D I thought that the horse would go over especially well here, for, you know, reasons. :lol:

Offline sparkykandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
It's cool that you managed to get them with their boxes and with most of their accessories. My friend loves cows, so she would probably be rather giddily over the cow one.
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:14:12 PM »
 :shocked: Never seen those! I love them!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 04:13:10 AM »
Omigosh! I love those. Those are so cool! The cow is my favorite. How could I have never heard of these?! I love anthro dolls.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
Since I was a child, I loved anthro cartoon animals... I wish I could have one or two of these dolls.

InkyMomo

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 08:20:43 AM »
I had no idea these even existed. They are so quirky and cute. I quite like the piggy.  Awesome find!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal