collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you clean rusty seaponies?  (Read 328 times)

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
How do you clean rusty seaponies?
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
So, here's my question of the day! :biggrin:

I currently own two seaponies, and the baby of the two has some serious rust that has even spread to her mane. What do you do to tackle rusty seaponies?

• what cleaning products/process do you use to clean rust out of a seapony's body?
  • what cleaning product/process do you use to clean rust out of her mane?
  • do you keep the rusty weight (pony value higher?), or replace it with something that can't rust? (i.e. glass pebbles)

Thanks for all the help! I've struggled enough with normal tail rust (two ponies still stand without their tails on display) and didn't want to tackle this seapony business without expert advice. ;)

Starlily
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

TWILIGHTCOOKIE

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: How do you clean rusty seaponies?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
I'm curious also on cleaning seaponies. I got a baby one whose head wouldn't come off, it looked like the body and neck were stuck together when I broke the seal.

Offline CuteyStorm

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »
Unfortunately that in the baby sea pony is probably not rust, it's mold. What I do to restore, is remove the head, If it's an adult, make sure you remove the metal weight inside them. Then I boil them in a big pot so they don't rub too much on the sides on a low heat for about 5 minutes. That will kill anything living inside them. Then wash them out and scrub the inside really well. Be careful while they're warm, and be careful not to rub too much on the paint while they're warm. Wash and condition the hair. I usually let the conditioner sit for a few minutes. Then rinse and let dry. They'll be good as new! ^-^

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:29:21 AM »
Unfortunately that in the baby sea pony is probably not rust, it's mold. What I do to restore, is remove the head, If it's an adult, make sure you remove the metal weight inside them. Then I boil them in a big pot so they don't rub too much on the sides on a low heat for about 5 minutes. That will kill anything living inside them. Then wash them out and scrub the inside really well. Be careful while they're warm, and be careful not to rub too much on the paint while they're warm. Wash and condition the hair. I usually let the conditioner sit for a few minutes. Then rinse and let dry. They'll be good as new! ^-^

Hey, thanks for the advice! So baby seaponies don't have weights? Hm, interesting. I'm kind of afraid of boiling...do you heat the water to a full boil, or just simmer it? Also, can I boil her with her mane still intact?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
As has been mentioned you need to get the weight out of the adult pony. You can use a proper rust removal agent on it in order to restore it or a soak in baking soda will eventually clean it up. A toothpaste and baking soda combo scrubbed inside the pony will eventually clear it out. If you decide to put the weight back in [some people replace them with marbles] then make sure everything is absolutely dry before you do so as otherwise the rust is just going to come straight back.

As for the baby - they relied on their external floats in order to go into water. It could be just about anything inside the baby but as she has probably been in water at some point, mould is a good bet. You need to get her soaking in something like dishsoap and vinegar in order to shift it. Again a scrub with toothpaste and baking soda should remove stains in her hair.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline CuteyStorm

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
Baby seaponies don't have weights. For the water, just bring it to where the water just starts to bubble then lower the heat. The hair will be fine. This will actually alleviate a lot of the need for the cleaning products as well since most of the stuff inside will be loosened and you can you dish soap to get out the rest. I always boil all my ponies except glitter ones for obvious reasons. I've never had any trouble. Just be careful, and don't go full boil. I like to know my ponies will be safe for anyone (including little ones) to handle, since they could've been anywhere over 30 years of play or storage... ^-^

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
Thank you, hathorcat and CuteyStorm! I really appreciate all the help. :hug: Now I'm off to clean little Baby Sea Breeze...depending on how everything goes, I might just post pictures!

Post Merge: July 23, 2014, 03:53:05 PM

The boiling method worked! :D She's as squeaky clean as she can get. Now off to conditioning...

hathorcat, I will have to try that baking soda bath with my adult seapony and other ponies that have tail rust! Thank you for your help. ^.^
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:53:05 PM by PrincessStarlily »

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
I have used oxyclean for rust, unless it is one of the pearly sheen ones, I am afraid that it would come right off.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
I have used oxyclean for rust, unless it is one of the pearly sheen ones, I am afraid that it would come right off.

Something to remember! My seapony is pretty normal (no pearly-ness), so that should work fine with her. When my seapony herd grows beyond two members, I'll have to invest in some cleaner!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal