collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 hair styling tips?  (Read 1258 times)

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
G4 hair styling tips?
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:01:10 PM »
Howdy everyone. Starting to look for help/tips on styling the G4 brushable toys, at least so the manes/tails aren't a mess. Most of the time I leave them as is, but I'd like to get into styling them and making them look nicer.

I'm currently working on untangling this fashion style Pinkie I got at the fair. Her hair was a big tangled mess. Which actually makes sense considering it's Pinkie Pie we're talking about. The last inch or so of Pinkie's mane is paler than the rest, and feels rougher too. Dunno if it's because of all the tangles, but I was wondering I can do to bring the color and texture back. On a relatively constrained budget, since I'm spending too much on pony stuff this summer.

Thanks

lordalexander74
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4 hair styling tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Conditioner! Just wet and condition it to break up the tangles.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline lordalexander74

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:09:09 PM »
As in any standard meant for human use conditioner? I'll try that, thanks.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Fabric softener works as well. :)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
Do you want to just untangle the hair, or full on style it to look show-accurate?

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:08:39 AM »
Diluted fabric conditioner works well, especially if the hair is left to soak in it for a few hours. A friend of mine salvaged a tangled and ratty cosplay wig this way ^^
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline lordalexander74

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:21 AM »
Do you want to just untangle the hair, or full on style it to look show-accurate?

Eventually to make it look show accurate. I managed to get a 3in Fluttershy brushable to look somewhat accurate. Right now I'm working on untangling them. Tried a bit of random conditioner, left it in Fluttershy's hair/tail (a different one, got one of them 9 inch high things at the fair). Didn't seem to do much, I'll try soaking it in fabric softener next.

Edit: Dunno if the conditioner helped, or me just combing through the tangles (Taking it easy of course, don't want to pull out any more hair than I already have), but Fluttershy's hair is in better shape. Letting her dry out now.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:23:51 AM by lordalexander74 »

Offline moonsugar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • my Tumblr blog (may occasionally contain adult content)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
Hot water, comb from the bottom and work your way up. Works every time. Sometimes (being careful not to submerge them) I comb my ponies in the bath for this very reason. :)
:fox:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
Make sure to use a metal comb rather than a normal plastic one :) It will help the hair long term as it does not stretch the hair as much.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lordalexander74

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Yeah, I'll look around for metal combs. Been using plastic combs, only kind I have.

Currently working on a 3in AJ brushable. How does one get these tiny rubber bands/hairbands on tiny pony tails?

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »

Eventually to make it look show accurate. I managed to get a 3in Fluttershy brushable to look somewhat accurate. Right now I'm working on untangling them. Tried a bit of random conditioner, left it in Fluttershy's hair/tail (a different one, got one of them 9 inch high things at the fair). Didn't seem to do much, I'll try soaking it in fabric softener next.

Edit: Dunno if the conditioner helped, or me just combing through the tangles (Taking it easy of course, don't want to pull out any more hair than I already have), but Fluttershy's hair is in better shape. Letting her dry out now.

If you want to fully style them, you may need to get a few things, but all in all it'll only be a few bucks.  First, you'll need some bobby pins and small rubber bands for securing the hair, although the bobby pins are mostly for doing curls.  You can take a drinking straw, preferably a larger-diameter one you get with a drink from a fast food place or gas station, cut it up, and make curlers from it.  To dry things out faster, get some incandescent bulbs if you can find them, and prop them under a desk lamp to get them to dry after getting the hair in place. I'd also recommend getting some kind of sewing or craft scissors since they'll be a little more precise than regular scissors.  This is all you really need to for pretty much any pony.

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
Yeah, I'll look around for metal combs. Been using plastic combs, only kind I have.

Currently working on a 3in AJ brushable. How does one get these tiny rubber bands/hairbands on tiny pony tails?

Hahaha, yeah, it's tough if you're not used to them. Hold the end of the tail, stretch the rubber band around three fingers (at least, that's what I do), then put the band against the tail and pinch the end of the hair over it to hold it in place for a moment. Twist the rubber band tight, the flip it and bring it over the hair again, letting go of the end of the tail. Once it's over, twist again and repeat until the band is tight! I know they're small, but they can be used. I've styled many of my ponies with them!! And my AJ has both of her red bands, mane and tail. It takes patience, but it can be done.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
Using a brush while some conditioner is still in the hair has been helpful for me.

Once you start getting into show-accuracy, I recommend starting with countschlick's tutorials. That's where I first started with Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie. From there I was able to do my own experiments and learn what works for how I like my ponies. I still use the basic concepts I learned from countschlick. There was another tutorial that showed how to do different types of basic bangs, braids, etc., but I'm not sure where it is anymore. :(
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Using a brush while some conditioner is still in the hair has been helpful for me.

Once you start getting into show-accuracy, I recommend starting with countschlick's tutorials. That's where I first started with Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie. From there I was able to do my own experiments and learn what works for how I like my ponies. I still use the basic concepts I learned from countschlick. There was another tutorial that showed how to do different types of basic bangs, braids, etc., but I'm not sure where it is anymore. :(

I learned what I did from his tutorials, too.  I don't know if this is the tutorial you're referring to, but this one had some good info as well. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Bad-Mane-Days-258834978

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »

I learned what I did from his tutorials, too.  I don't know if this is the tutorial you're referring to, but this one had some good info as well. http://www.deviantart.com/art/Bad-Mane-Days-258834978

I don't think that is the one, but it shows a lot of the same methods from the one I saw many years ago! The one I saw showed a method of folding bangs over the forehead which works really well for Cheerilee and Applebloom, achieving that three loop look.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal