collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: tips for cutting your own hair?  (Read 322 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
tips for cutting your own hair?
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »
The last few times iv gotten annoyed and just chopped my own hair, I'm not a "fashionable" person so for me, i usually just tie it up and chop, and trim bits and pieces i think should be trimmed. Before that, I usually would just get my hair cut once a year (or more) because I usually don't have the money, and when I do I'm usually more concerned about my son then myself.

That being said, I HATE having long hair lol. So its always up in a bun, I feel like I wear it like that so much (for years and years now) that people probably wouldn't even recognize me otherwise. I need tips for cutting my own hair, I want really REALLY short hair too. I hate it touching my ears or the back of my neck.

I bought a clipper set a year ago and haven't even touched it, I figured I could use it for my son, but honestly I'm so nervous I dont want to ruin his hair lol. Its got all the different size attachments though.

I'm just really nervous I guess? Id rather experiment on myself then give my son some horrendous haircut that he has to suffer through lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
Re: tips for cutting your own hair?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:31 AM »
I know of a website to help trim long hair, but I'd be afraid to cut it short on my own. Why not go to a salon?

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »
Nothing for super short hair :(  I typically go tot he salon once a year but I never get it cut past my shoulders, even though I overheat.  Something about always having super long hair and getting traumatized when they cut it to my chin as a kid (from knee length......yeah).

Even if you can go in and ask for advice on how to use it--or maybe get someone else to help you?  Sounds like something someone else should do on you?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »
The major issue with short hair is that you have to cut it about every 6 weeks to keep it short.  Even if your hair doesn't grow fast (my doesn't), a short styled cut will start to look bulky or shaggy.  I've worn a pixie for about 10 years and it does get expensive to maintain at about $20 a cut every 6 weeks.  So, I understand your desire to learn how to do it yourself.

However, I would recommend going someplace to cut it at least until you find a style that you like.  It would be worth the cost of a few hair cuts to find what works for you.  You can find the cheaper chain places (if those are available in your area) rather than a salon or try to find a student who will cut your hair really cheaply!  I had a friend that did free haircuts while he was learning how and building up experience! 

Maybe then you will have observed the general process and would feel more comfortable giving it a go on your own.  ALWAYS do a longer clipper guard than you think to start- you can always go shorter!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 10:08:28 AM »
I rarely get my hair cut at all other than my bangs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:22:30 AM »
I have a very short hair cut and usually maintain it myself (my hairdresser even says I do a decent job of it, haha) :) My best advice is that you get it cut short from long professionally, and then buy some hairdressing scissors and a comb and get a friend to help you with the back (as it's very hair to do the back properly yourself and you risk cutting yourself). As many short styles are intentionally supposed to look rough and choppy, it's difficult to make it look "bad" and even if it does....eh, it grows back.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline PinkiePosh

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
It's easier to cut wet. Keep in mind when it drys, it's like a fourth of an inch shorter. Use reference points like ears, eyebrows, neck, and shoulders. Don't do one side at a time. Do a little on both sides as you go along to match.

If you want a cheap haircut, cosmetology students are happy to help. Find your local school and schedule an appointment. Tipping is always appreciated since we usually have no income and the school takes the rest.  :good:

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
@Aadra310 Thats exactly why I would like to learn, lol I really cant afford to go someplace and get it cut every few weeks. So being able to do it myself would just be great haha.

I usually get my hair cut at one of the less expensive places, The place I used to visit recently closed, although im sure there are similar places around I just have to look lol. My problem with the beauty school place is that Im terrified I might KNOW some people there. This might sound really dumb but Iv always been a rather quite and sadly awkward person growing up, with just a very small handfull of friends (im not bitter about that lol I like my odd bunch of friends :p) but everyone else I went to school with was pretty... well mean i suppose. These are the thoughts that cross my mind literally whenever I go anywhere and I realize its made my world incredibly small but, the bottom line is that I could not possibly sit in a chair and have someone I possibly went to school with even be in the same room while Im having my hair worked on, imagining their fake smiles. :/ Im just paranoid I guess?

Offline PinkiePosh

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:51:23 PM »
@Aadra310 Thats exactly why I would like to learn, lol I really cant afford to go someplace and get it cut every few weeks. So being able to do it myself would just be great haha.

I usually get my hair cut at one of the less expensive places, The place I used to visit recently closed, although im sure there are similar places around I just have to look lol. My problem with the beauty school place is that Im terrified I might KNOW some people there. This might sound really dumb but Iv always been a rather quite and sadly awkward person growing up, with just a very small handfull of friends (im not bitter about that lol I like my odd bunch of friends :p) but everyone else I went to school with was pretty... well mean i suppose. These are the thoughts that cross my mind literally whenever I go anywhere and I realize its made my world incredibly small but, the bottom line is that I could not possibly sit in a chair and have someone I possibly went to school with even be in the same room while Im having my hair worked on, imagining their fake smiles. :/ Im just paranoid I guess?

I totally understand that. There can be a lot of hostility in salons and I hate it. So much mean gossiping and shallow people.
 :stressed:
I don't want to run into anyone I went to school with either, so I do avoid some places.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 03:05:07 PM »

I don't know how old you are but I will tell you that people change.  Some of the girls that I absolutely LOATHED in high school because they were mean, self-centered, shallow, etc etc. actually turned out to be my friends and lab partners in college and beyond!  It was seriously weird... at first.  And then I realized that a lot of people are self-conscience and feel out of place in high school.  Even if they were pretty and popular.  So, I think you just have to cut people some slack and give them the benefit of the doubt- they might be decent people now that they've grown up and realized what's truly important.  And, if they haven't, it's not your problem.  You can be nice and polite and go about your day!   

And that's me assuming you weren't horribly bullied or harassed but got the more typical "mean girl" treatment.  I realize some people go through much worse than nasty teasing and would need some extra help in overcoming those kinds of issues.  In any case, good luck! 

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:36 PM »
Hairstylist here, I fix a lot of home haircuts, so my advice would be not to do it. I know that's not what you're looking for, sorry! It's just that it's very hard to see what you're doing in the back of your head and backwards in the mirror! I don't even cut my own and I've been doing this 14 years!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »
@Aadra310
I don't want this to come off the wrong way, because I do fully understand what you're saying, and I agree that people do change. I am 27 and in general my philosophy has always been "treat people how you want to be treated yourself." I go out of my way to be nice and helpful even when I'm in a bad mood, I just think that nothing can be gained from expressing your bad days to total strangers lol and being nice usually actually makes me feel better too lol.

Now the thing I mentioned above about not being able to be in the same place as someone from school, I agree that I should give people the benefit of the doubt, I try to at least. But my entire educational career from k-12 was full of harassment, and I was pretty good at letting it slide right off me and pretending I didnt hear it. Non the less, I hated school, I have few good memories. Bullying is infectious, some kids want to be "cooler" some are going through terrible things at home, some do it because their friends are doing it, and countless other reasons. I tried to keep these things in mind even at a very young age, which i was told was very weird for a kid in 4th grade xD. Anyway I dont want to turn this into a "poor true" story but I got used to avoiding people so much that I genuinely get so nervous and scared that I become very irrational of thought lol. Its something Iv tried to get past for yeeears. I know that people change, in fact one of the guys who physically harassed me thought elementary school confronted me a few years ago and broke down crying for the way he treated me, I was so shocked by the whole thing all i could do was stand there. I felt terrible. :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal