collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Might throw my first ever pony away  (Read 2880 times)

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Might throw my first ever pony away
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
I wouldn't throw him out, my G3 Childhood rainbow dash is in poor, poor shape. (pen marks, hair cut, nail polish, you name it she has it.) I hated seeing her that way too, but now she is in a box in the desk in my pony room.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Maybe you could send him to someone to be restored? :) I understand that from the sound of his condition he can't be completely restored, but I've seen people here work wonders  :shocked:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
Well, it's your choice really, but perhaps you can try fixing him up, .ie customization or trying to match his original color as best as you can, if your not feeling up to it, perhaps you can find someone who can restore/customize him for you. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
I am with everyone else, don't throw him away!

moonlight twinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
You shouldn't throw him away, but you should keep him separate from your other ponies.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Not ponies, but the worst mistake I ever made was throwing out my childhood 1960s Mattel Twiggy doll, who was also my mom's, when the plastic around her belly started to turn green. I didn't even try to fix her. :yikes:

If I were you, I'd wrap him up in a paper towel and put him in a box of childhood things. It's possible that maybe your kids will want him one day, splotchy or not!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
What is with this myth of pony cancer spreading?!  ( this is NOT pointed at the OP, just my general frustration with people being told this terrible misinformation from sources claiming to be some sort of authority ) 

It doesn't!  This is like the fourth thread in a week of this.  Plastic is plastic.  It is inorganic, it cannot harbor lifeforms or feed them.  Just like moths can't eat rayon, germs and parasites can't eat plastic to produce pony cancer or pony mold.  Water inside the pony can harbor mold because the induction of water and what not within, but a cleaned, sanitized pony will not spread anything to any other pony because it is not alive and it is inorganic.  Can we please get this sort of information stickied or something. . .?

Cancer spots are likely caused by metallic or foreign flakes of non-plastic getting inbedded into the plastic.  As time goes by, and the pony undergoes temperature, humidity and light spikes, these foreign particulates break down within the plastic or change at a different pace than the plastic.  Please remember some basic chemistry that everything reacts at different temperatures and environments.  Hasbro has never been known for their quality control, and even in much more regulated factories, toys have had issues like these.  It is not an organic phenomena.  I have literally dug out nickle shavings out of vinyl dolls from the 1950's from spots in the vinyl that look *very* similar to cancer spots in ponies, just different colors.  While the vinyl itself does not suffer a lot from light, wetness or heat, those particulates inside, however, do.  Vinyl is porous which gives it a sort of osmosis effect, allowing the decaying bits to spread while there is the epicenter where the particulate is located. 

Secondly, boiling a pony can worsen cancer, in my honest opinion.  Plastic degradation of all sorts, not pony plastic only, is caused by certain elements.  Light, temperature, humidity, wetness, etc.  Heat increases degradation, so boiling a pony would speed up the process, and introducing water makes it worse as well.  -Anything- you're attempting to preserve is best kept in a stable temperature ( 60-70F ), with low light ( absolutely MINIMAL natural sunlight ) and an environment of LOW humidity.  Cleaning is one thing, and needing hot or boiling water -briefly- is one thing, but actually boiling a pony for 5 minutes or more is doing it no favors. 

And for anyone's information, I have a degree in Anthropology and Archaeology with an emphasis on preservation of antiquities, and around 12 years of hands on experience in the restoration and preservation of dolls ( porcelain, composition, vinyl and hard plastic, 1860's to 1960's ) and textiles. 

My suggestion is there is no need for separation or throwing him out.  Either keep him, or pass him onto someone else.  If you're worried about increased damage and degradation, my suggestion is to keep sunlight OUT of your display area, invest in a dehumidifier if you live in a wet or humid state, and keep an ambient and stable temperature year round. 

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
I guess I could put him away. At least for a while. I'll find a place for him when I get my cabinet up.

I know I couldn't throw him out/sell unless I got a replacement first, but I rarely toss things out that can be used/given away and I'm sure now I'd end up keeping him around anyway. Besides, I don't want a replacement just to have a nicer pony. I remember him "ugly" and splotched and I wouldn't want him any other way. I don't want him to get worse, but on the other hand he wouldn't be mine without that mark on his nose. Perhaps I could indulge myself with a second Mountain Boy of another kind ... I mean, these things happen. With age, as MiRaja kindly pointed out. Especially (as someone mentioned) to the boys!

Thanks a bunch MiRaja for clearing that up. I've heard your explanation from various sources many times, but I guess people (at least myself) fear that there will be traces of "something" that is "contagious" on a pony when it looks as bad as this particular one does.
In my case I must be thankful I boiled him (he was kind of gross) but I should probably refrain from doing it again then since, as I mentioned, I feel it got worse afterwards. I can tell you he's not been exposed to excess humidity since then - I live in Sweden.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 03:05:44 PM »
Everyone is new to collecting or new to information at different times :) The Arena is a friendly place without the need to demand that everyone understand everything right from the get go. Sure, it can be frustrating but people start threads and ask questions; we answer them and have some discussion without the need to get angry. And not everyone reads every thread so some repetition is pretty standard. I have had the same conversation many times on other subjects and sometimes you find out new information or cool different details every single time.

As for the original point. I can completely see why you would be upset that your childhood pony is in such a bad way. But I agree with everyone else, he is worth storing for the future or if you are set on removing him considering selling him to someone else. Or perhaps you could commission or make some clothing for him to jazz him up a little and cover the marks which most annoy you?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »
I've had more than one childhood pony start the slide down into bad condition.  I keep all of them, but I keep them separate from the rest of my collection.  You can get acid free tissue paper, wrap up your pony, and store him away somewhere safe.  Maybe make him a pretty little custom box to store him in so he can sort of be on display, but he's packed away safe.  If you have any pictures of yourself with him as a child, maybe print them out and decorate the box with them.   

I have been getting "upgrades" of some of my favorite childhood ponies that are degrading while still keeping the originals safe.  I enjoy the upgrades for their condition, and the childhood ponies for their good memories.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
If I were you, I'd wrap him up in a paper towel and put him in a box of childhood things. It's possible that maybe your kids will want him one day, splotchy or not!

I should probably specify that I don't advise wrapping him up due to whatever issues he's got, but because I personally wrap all of my ponies before putting them away. It's just a little added protection to prevent things like symbol rubs or stains from the dyes of other toys.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
I had a child hood pony with bad cancer so I turned them into a custom pony.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
i think throwing him away or even selling him, would just make you feel worse.
you can't return him to his former glory, and i'm not even sure you can keep him from getting worse.

i know my favorite childhood pony. even if he melted into a puddle with a few hair plugs sticking out i'd find a fun clear jar and quark and display him like that.

but all and all, it is up to you. as a harder to find pony, people most people would give him a home of course. regardless of the condition. but he is your childhood memories. if you think you can hold onto those memories without him physically being there and it's just painful to see the change. then maybe you should get rid of him.

. though. i do want to say. even though he's getting old and it's starting to show, that doesn't tarnish any of the memories you had with him or when he was there. i know when my childhood toy got a tear, i thought it was the end of the world because it meant to me, that all the good things that had happened and the nights crying where he comforted me, were going to disappear, cuz he was broken. of course that's not the case. no more than it is when a friend moves. your memories of them don't disappear. don't know if this is what you're going through, but i wanted you to know its ok.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:50 PM »
Everyone is new to collecting or new to information at different times :) The Arena is a friendly place without the need to demand that everyone understand everything right from the get go. Sure, it can be frustrating but people start threads and ask questions; we answer them and have some discussion without the need to get angry. And not everyone reads every thread so some repetition is pretty standard. I have had the same conversation many times on other subjects and sometimes you find out new information or cool different details every single time.

Frustration does not equal anger.  That was not what I was getting at.  I fully understand that everyone is new once, and questions pop up, but there is still a constant perpetuation that these phenomena of smooze, cancer, etc, etc are some sort of living organism when it is simply not possible and has been gone over and over, and yet there are still people who perpetuate it, who think they know what they're talking about when they just don't.  People who tell others and cause more than a little silliness with it all and panic. 

We do really need a sticky that has actual fact within it and the mechanics of vinyl and plastic and that many of these faux-treatments for ponies meant to 'stop' cancer are actually harming ponies, either destroying them more, or expediting the degradation process. 

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 12:41:23 AM »
What is with this myth of pony cancer spreading?!  ( this is NOT pointed at the OP, just my general frustration with people being told this terrible misinformation from sources claiming to be some sort of authority ) 

It doesn't!  This is like the fourth thread in a week of this.  Plastic is plastic.  It is inorganic, it cannot harbor lifeforms or feed them.  Just like moths can't eat rayon, germs and parasites can't eat plastic to produce pony cancer or pony mold.  Water inside the pony can harbor mold because the induction of water and what not within, but a cleaned, sanitized pony will not spread anything to any other pony because it is not alive and it is inorganic.  Can we please get this sort of information stickied or something. . .?

Cancer spots are likely caused by metallic or foreign flakes of non-plastic getting inbedded into the plastic.  As time goes by, and the pony undergoes temperature, humidity and light spikes, these foreign particulates break down within the plastic or change at a different pace than the plastic.  Please remember some basic chemistry that everything reacts at different temperatures and environments.  Hasbro has never been known for their quality control, and even in much more regulated factories, toys have had issues like these.  It is not an organic phenomena.  I have literally dug out nickle shavings out of vinyl dolls from the 1950's from spots in the vinyl that look *very* similar to cancer spots in ponies, just different colors.  While the vinyl itself does not suffer a lot from light, wetness or heat, those particulates inside, however, do.  Vinyl is porous which gives it a sort of osmosis effect, allowing the decaying bits to spread while there is the epicenter where the particulate is located. 

Secondly, boiling a pony can worsen cancer, in my honest opinion.  Plastic degradation of all sorts, not pony plastic only, is caused by certain elements.  Light, temperature, humidity, wetness, etc.  Heat increases degradation, so boiling a pony would speed up the process, and introducing water makes it worse as well.  -Anything- you're attempting to preserve is best kept in a stable temperature ( 60-70F ), with low light ( absolutely MINIMAL natural sunlight ) and an environment of LOW humidity.  Cleaning is one thing, and needing hot or boiling water -briefly- is one thing, but actually boiling a pony for 5 minutes or more is doing it no favors. 

And for anyone's information, I have a degree in Anthropology and Archaeology with an emphasis on preservation of antiquities, and around 12 years of hands on experience in the restoration and preservation of dolls ( porcelain, composition, vinyl and hard plastic, 1860's to 1960's ) and textiles. 

My suggestion is there is no need for separation or throwing him out.  Either keep him, or pass him onto someone else.  If you're worried about increased damage and degradation, my suggestion is to keep sunlight OUT of your display area, invest in a dehumidifier if you live in a wet or humid state, and keep an ambient and stable temperature year round. 

*Applauds* thank you!

I agree. I didn't read this as a negative comment, but more so an informative one trying to put an end to a fictitious rumor that has been around since I can remember. I look at this post as a vital piece of information to collectors new and old a like! Thanks for posting!

I agree with everyone else, don't throw the pony away! I regret getting rid of a lot of my childhood ponies, it's a regret that I think about every time I look at my ponies or get online here. (Which is every day.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:45:14 AM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal