collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "G1.5" ...?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
Re: "G1.5" ...?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »

If we're getting nitpicky, in the UK comic books, Majesty's fantasy world and the "modern" Tales world are clearly in the same universe.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They are just on different sides of the Rainbow.

The first picture reminds me of the Slumber Party play set and paradise estate.

The drawings of the ponies in those are not very different from any other G1 pony except for the background and themes going on but then again it's not different really, especially considering the stuff associated with G1 even on the MLP&Friends series, like the episode Bright Lights. Knight Shade acts and behaves a bit differently, more like ponies from the Tales series. I could almost imagine that the town MLPtales takes place in could easily fit into the same universe as MLP&Friends. It's just in a different part of the world, more city, less country.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »
I was going to bring up that the comic ran all the way to 1993 and included stories about the Tales ponies.

I'm a mostly show fan.  However, I understand My Little Pony is a toy brand first with the media being adverts for it.  Therefore generations are determined by molds and not series.  They could have made five series with vastly different settings from 1982 to 1995 and the toys they advertise would have still been G1.  (Now wishes there had been a sci-fi series of ponies in space somewhere in there.)

Tales is part of G1 period.  It's not G2, it's not G1.5.  Simply accept your wrong and learn about the brand you supposedly love so much.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
All of everything LadyMoondancer said x 1000. This is such a bug bear for me.

All those people have been interested in MLP and collecting MLP longer than...well...2 years, have been referring to things in a certain way for a pretty long time. Its not being snotty or unreasonable to politely state its annoying when people who clearly dont have enough of an interest in something to research or learn its history start reclassifying to suit their own wishes.

Personally I just think its a touch rude. Would anyone here enter any other collecting community or fandom and say "hey...I know you guys have been doing this for the last couple of decades but I am going to change this...oh yeah and if anyone says I am wrong...well...tough noogies to you"?

Unfortunately as others have mentioned, the rise of G4 has brought with it some kind of mass amnesia...forgetting My Little Pony is a TOY line with a "cartoon advert".

THIS. If Equestria Girls can be referred to as simply "Equestria Girls" and not "G4.5" or what have you, why does Tales need a different name? :/

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »

THIS. If Equestria Girls can be referred to as simply "Equestria Girls" and not "G4.5" or what have you, why does Tales need a different name? :/

Agree about EQG , they toys are a LOt differet wit all seen in MLP before anyways , no hooves , no tails, no hocks and THEY HAVE TEETH lol  :rofl:

Aquatic Neon, it's true that MLP Tales is very different from MLP 'n Friends and maybe in its own universe, or the far future, or something.

But G1 is still a toy term.  If you said "MLP 'n Friends is way different from MLP Tales", everyone would be nodding.  But even though they are different universes, they are still all G1.  Like, Posey and Melody are literally in the exact same mold.

Heck, even in the Transformers fandom (which is where G1/G2 terms originated), the "G2 show" was not the reason for the two terms.  In fact, the "G2 show" consisted of reruns of the G1 Transformers show!  The only difference was they slapped a CGI opening on it!

If we're getting nitpicky, in the UK comic books, Majesty's fantasy world and the "modern" Tales world are clearly in the same universe.

Love it, are there more pages of the comic?    :)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
Aquatic Neon, it's true that MLP Tales is very different from MLP 'n Friends and maybe in its own universe, or the far future, or something.

But G1 is still a toy term.  If you said "MLP 'n Friends is way different from MLP Tales", everyone would be nodding.  But even though they are different universes, they are still all G1.  Like, Posey and Melody are literally in the exact same mold.

Heck, even in the Transformers fandom (which is where G1/G2 terms originated), the "G2 show" was not the reason for the two terms.  In fact, the "G2 show" consisted of reruns of the G1 Transformers show!  The only difference was they slapped a CGI opening on it!

Oh, that comic is neat!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »
I find it so rude and hurtful that people of the last couple of years would come and redefine what has been established within the collectioncommunity for almost 20 years. Have the word 'research" gone out the window?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2014, 04:01:15 AM »
As I said bronies think they're the best thing to happen to My Little Pony.  They're patting themselves on the back for making it so popular.  They have an outrageous sense of entitlement.  When Hasbro named the pony they had been calling Lyra Heartstrings, the bronies raise a stink until they made it a compound name.  There was the issue of you know who that they considered a personal attack on them.  Then when she returned with no voice they complained Hasbro was chickening out.  They rage against every whiff of change.  They figure the brand should revolve around them and probably think the whole community should do the same (some even think they're the whole community).  If they don't want to bother to do their research or realize it's a toy brand with a show and not the other way around (they particularly rage about that) it's not a problem with them but other people.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:07:03 AM by Al-1701 »
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 04:09:28 AM »
I really don't get some of the fans of FiM sometimes - They feel a deep need to classify the shows as G1-G3.5, and yet, their favourite show isn't 'G4', it's 'FiM'? Whaaa? I'm also loving the Equestria girls argument. Why hasn't EQG been given a number if numbering the media is so important?  Is it G4.5? FiM 0.5? No, it's Equestria Girls, Just like we had Dream Beauties, except EQG has a couple of movies. Even the tie-ins are similar is you compare it to Tales:

My Little Pony n' Friends ----> My Little Pony Tales
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic -----> My Little Pony Equestria Girls

The shows are both very different, yet unarguably part of the same universes. G1 has the rockin beats and family pony references, G4 has the characters and 'portal'. It's the same deal. If Tales is G1.5, then EQG is G4.5.

Mind you, that's how we would have it if this wasn't already settled back in 1997. The generation system was assigned when the G2 toyline came out, and then, 17 years ago, the community as a whole made the universal distinction between G1 and G2 TOYS. Tales was already out there, and if it was the intention of the collecting community to divide generations by media, then it would have been done back then.

If anyone here wants to sell their G1.5 Bright Eyes, I'm not going to be interested, I'm looking for a G1 one!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2014, 04:21:56 AM »
There are actually two G1 Bright Eyes.  There's the Twinkle Eyes Bright Eyes and the Tales Bright Eyes.  Though, two Twilights were released while the original cartoon was being made and both made it on screen.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2014, 05:17:52 AM »
I wonder what these very first commercials should be called? G0.5? (And if that is the case, where does My Pretty Pony stand?) :rolleyes:

*sidles out of thread*

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2014, 05:31:58 AM »
I wonder what these very first commercials should be called? G0.5? (And if that is the case, where does My Pretty Pony stand?) :rolleyes:

*sidles out of thread*

They would be called G1, just look at the style of the /TOY/- not the cartoon characters. As for My Pretty Pony they were the debut before My Little Pony became a thing, so I'm not sure they actually fall into a gen so much as stand as a predecessor (but if someone knows for sure, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:34:02 AM by Cool.Breeze »

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:37 AM »
The shows mostly have their own names, so if you want to distinguish between them, it's not that hard. The toys do not, nor do they all correlate to a show, so generation numbers matter.

This is a good point I didn't consider before! The entire purpose of the labels "G1", "G2", etc. only exists so collectors can tell different toys apart and the approx. time the toy was made. Back in the 80's of course we didn't refer to the ponies as G1 because we had no need to, there was no other MLP's to compare them to. The labels were created to tell the different toy lines apart.

This wasn't such a big issue back before 2003. Up until that point, the only two cartoons that existed both belonged in the same era/toy line. With the introduction of the animated shorts for the G3 line, I saw a lot of collectors referring to "the old cartoons" versus "the new cartoons." Again, simple labels designed to tell apart the different series.

Now we have four different cartoon series and all of them have unique aspects and they all existed at different times (just like the toy line). It's starting to get confusing, I think, for people just getting into the fandom (or for people who are only interested in certain parts of the fandom and not all generations). I think the issue that is arising is that we DON'T have short, simple, easy labels for the different cartoon gens the way we do for the toy lines. So people just saw labels made up for the toy line and took them to apply to the shows, even though that isn't what the labels were intended for.

The Friendship is Magic cartoon very easily simplifies to "FiM." "MLP&Friends" is about the simplest I can make the original series, while "Tales" works well for the second series. But the G3 animation doesn't really have a neat little label (unless we go with "G3 cartoons"), and NONE of them have a set of labels that works together the way G1/G2/G3/etc. do.

I think the biggest issue that has been revealed to me in this thread is that people out there DO want a simple label system so they can easily identify and talk about the four cartoon series in context, and it is just as obvious that using the already-established labels created for the toy lines is not going to cut it.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2014, 07:10:53 AM »
To  Al-1701: While I agree with most of what you said, despite being a brony (I actually tried to talk them out of this, but I failed due to limitations* - which is annoying because the fandom may not have gone the way it's gone if I had been more vocal) it is unfair to say that the "what generation is Tales?" thing is purely down to them, as I am sure I have seen older fans make the same mistake, not as much, but they have.

I have gotten into conversations with people who insist that Tales is G2, and I am sure some of them portrayed evidence that they had watched it as children. 

I agree that it is mostly bronies getting it wrong (and I agree that many of them are very ignorant, but can sill learn) but I think what makes us forget that some long term fans/non-bronies have gotten it wrong as well is that the majority of bronies favor the shows to the toys, and the majority of long term fans are avid collectors (I know most of the people here are) so we forget that the odd long term fan only watched the shows and didn't follow the toyline, and could get it wrong as well.

I really don't get some of the fans of FiM sometimes - They feel a deep need to classify the shows as G1-G3.5, and yet, their favourite show isn't 'G4', it's 'FiM'? Whaaa? I'm also loving the Equestria girls argument. Why hasn't EQG been given a number if numbering the media is so important?  Is it G4.5? FiM 0.5? No, it's Equestria Girls, Just like we had Dream Beauties, except EQG has a couple of movies. Even the tie-ins are similar is you compare it to Tales:
We refer to it as "G4" as well, it's just easy to alternate between the two.  In fact, I have seen the fandom use "G4" far more than "FIM", especially when talking about the ponies themselves.

Also the numbering (as I think Dragonflitter is saying, sorry if I've missread it) didn't start with the "bronies" (term for G4 fans, but can be extended), but has been going for a while, and used by and for collectors.  Also, I think the thing about Equestria Girls not being numbered is because it is viewed as part of G4 by the majority of them.  My guess would be that it directly uses the characters as they are, where as Tales is a completely new show, with a new storyline, and G3.5 is closer to being a spin-off, but the ponies used act completely different in G3.5 than they do in G3.

I admit it's hypocritical, but if it helps I don't use the term 1.5 - I will for the most part refer to the Tales ponies as "G1 Ponies", which is what they are, but I will specify I am talking about "Tales" when I am talking about the show if I need to.

* The easiest way for me to be vocal towards other bronies at the time was to write articles on the MLP:FIM Wikia, but my computer made it hard to do that, as I couldn't edit them, so I had to resort to respoding to things, and in time even that got harder to do on my computer. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:13:40 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
I think bronies took it from an honest mistake for the most part to "Just respect my opinion."

Also, bronies haven shown an unwillingness to get their facts straight.  I remember when It Ain't Easy Being Breezies aired and analyst after analyst claimed it was because Hasbro was going to sell breezy versions of the Mane 6.  I face palmed as I had been keeping track of what was actually being released this year which didn't include Mane 6 breezies.  It's not that hard to look this stuff up.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2014, 09:18:55 AM »
I think I can understand where the G1.5 idea is coming from.  I was a kid in the 80s, collected ponies and watched the shows.  "Old My Little Pony" to me was Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina.  New was My Little Pony and Friends and My Little Pony the Movie.  They were in different categories to me just because they were getting to be more gimmicky and had a new theme song in their commercials. Same with Dream Beauties... I didn't consider them to be a part of the My Little Pony of old.  I remember a friend and I were in a toy store and she was admiring how they looked so much better than the old ponies and I was feeling   :cry: :cry: :cry: "I miss the chunkier look". 

But the appearance of the G2 toys reset that thinking. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal