collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing value  (Read 320 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Rehairing value
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:25:41 AM »
If you have have a pony with a hair cut, otherwise beautiful, but just has a bad hair cut...If you replace the hair what does it do to the value of the pony?

I guess the simple form of the question is, will the pony be worth more with a bad haircut or with a rehair?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing value
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:31:09 AM »
I have been wondering the same thing to? 

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
from what I can tell, it's like this

original pony with haircut = $
original pony rehaired with SAME color/length hair = less $ AND people will be upset if they purchase it not knowing it's a rehair
original pony rehaired in an alternate way = same $ or more as original with haircut

*edit
rare ponies and nirvanas go down in $ from the original no matter what color the hair is rehaired to
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
I agree with Roogna. Its a bit of an odd situation and there are a lot of different circumstances which are going to affect the price. A pony with her hair rehaired in her original colour is automatically worth less than a pony which has been rehaired in alternate colours. I guess its a similar idea to deflocks - when a deflocked pony can run more expensive than a nice flocked version of the same pony.

As for the value of a colour correct rehair against a hair cut, personally I think that depends on the pony and on how bad the hair trim is. I think in most common enough ponies, a rehair is worth the same as the pony with the hair cut. It just depends on how bad the trim was to start with; if its a forelock trim, I would think the original pony is worth the same or more with the cut than one with a completely rehaired forelock; if the mane has been cut down to a couple of cms, then the rehair is probably worth a little more.

And the exception to all the rules are rares and nirvanas - almost always a pony with hair issues, but still her originally hair is going to be more value and more desirable than a pony who has been rehaired.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »
Lol, I have often thought it strange about the deflocked ponies being around the same as a mint SS.

Wow, I am amazed to think that alternate rehairs would sell for the same or more than a pony with the correct hair color done very well.

Intriguing to see that happen.I wonder why that is?  :what:

Well, maybe I will put off rehairing Leaper then. I know he is kind of rare and sought after and I do not want to lower his value.
elish22 | eBay

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:27:05 PM »
How bad is his haircut?

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
I guess the other question is, how likely are you to want to sell him eventually? if he is a prized part of your personal collection now that you have him, and you strongly doubt that you will ever sell him, and you hate the hair cut so much that it bugs you every time you look at him, then do the rehair. But if you have an inkling you might sell him someday, I can tell you that, speaking for myself only, I would rather have him with a haircut, even a bad one, and original hair than  a gorgeous rehair. Admittedly, I might not be able to tell it's a rehair unless the seller told me, but if I found out it was, I'd be sad. Otoh there are probably collectors out there who would be happy to have the restoration already done for them, so it's not like you wouldn't be able to sell him. Just a matter of how much you would be able to ask. :)

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
His hair is cut to be about halfway down his cheek. Otherwise he is perfect!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
elish22 | eBay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »
I think Leaper comes into the category of being hard enough to find that a full out rehair will probably devalue him and certainly not be worth the investment in hair. He is a cutie!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal