collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help! Can you tell me what these guys are? Possibly UK?  (Read 687 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Help! Can you tell me what these guys are? Possibly UK?
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
I bought these little guys at a yard sale the other day because they made me, even though they are a bit creepy. Their eyes close when you lie them down.
I just adore them, but I'd like to know more. Can you help me out? Thanks!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

EDIT:
I just thought of something silly to do with these guys:
Spoiler

"Piper down!! We have a piper down!!" :lol:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:50:38 PM by Salli »

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Can you tell me what these guys are? Possibly UK?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
Considering that they're dressed in what I believe is Scottish attire, they're more than likely from the UK. My mom has a large collection of foreign dolls, I'll ask her if she knows anything about them. :)

EDIT: She doesn't recognize them, but she said that maybe an antique dealer would know where they're from and what they're worth. I typed in 'plastic scottish doll' in my search engine and found some similar ones on eBay, prices are anywhere from $7 to $42.
Sorry I couldn't help more, but I wish you the best of luck with your identification.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:57:34 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
Thanks, Sundown! That's helpful. I don't want to resell them and doubt they are worth much, I just want to know what they are and who they are representing :D Right now they are guarding my 'Mini Britain' on my desk corner :)

phoenixsoul85

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Those are pretty sweet.  I love your Little Britain!!!

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 03:05:09 AM »
I've seen a lot of similar dolls in different national attire (i.e. from different countries) so maybe they're just a souvenir doll? I vaguely remember my mum getting one of these from my uncle when he came back from England in a little plastic cylinder.
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

Offline pilarsworld

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:56:31 AM »
I think they are just souvenir dolls too.They are everywhere at carboot sales and charity shops in the UK and arent really worth anything....BUT they look great with your other britsh bits so they have a real value to you.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
That makes sense. They are made of super cheap plastic and have no markings so I didn't expect much value. I love all things British/Scottish/Irish so that's why I grabbed them :) Part of the reason I wanted to know what they were was because I wondered if there were any more in the set, and now I NEED the English Guardsman and Beefeater souvenir dolls of these guys. Also, I may have to have a mini Scotland on the other side of my desk for these two. I have tons of Scottish ancestry (my mom's a Cunningham/Stewart) so it would not break my heart at all. I may need to make custom Queen Bess and Mary Queen of Scots for myself too.

:blink: This is the beginning of a new obsession I think. Darn you little creepy dolls!  >_<

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
They're just souvenir dolls like others have said.  They're definitely not worth much.  I believe these dolls were actually made in Hong Kong or they were made in the US.  These sorts of dolls were some of the first truly mass-produced dolls, they were made in the US at first, but they used factories overseas later on.  They made dolls of all sorts of nationalities and shipped them off.  These ones could maybe be the celluloid dolls, which may mean they were made in the UK, but it's hard to tell because so many of these dolls were made and made by so many companies and a lot of them look so alike.  I don't believe anyone is fully sure where a lot of these souvenir dolls came from because so many companies were pop ups and busts. 

Now, there are a few of these souvenir dolls that are worth something, but they're marked and quite clearly on their backs.  The UK used American molds from Vogue ( yes, the fashion company, they had a doll line at one point ) to produce a doll called little Miss Rosebud.  She is marked Rosebud on her back, and sometimes they were sold in removable fashion clothes, or they were sold as dolls resembling tourist dolls.  My mother has one dressed as a Scottish girl and a Swedish girl, for instance, and these dolls are worth $60 and up.  So, if you collect these sorts, be on the look out for those.  We've found them in the US, and I found a few when I was over in the UK. 

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for passing on your info :D I wish I could fly over to the UK right now to buy more dollies :D But I'll have to stalk EvilBay and 2nd hand stores here :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
Cool finds! They are a little bit of everything in their uniforms. However I am pretty sure they are supposed to represent the Scottish Dragoon Guards - normally the drummer wears the white bearskin however and everyone else a black bearskin. Only bass drummers are allowed to wear white bearskins and only in the Dragoons. The rest of the outfits are a little off as well but I would think the white bearskin is enough to give an idea of who they are in theory supposed to represent.

We see something similar to these in just about every tourist shop in Edinburgh during this time of year - perfect little souvenir dolls :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Flutter_Valley

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
i have them too there from the uk my mam said my dad who passed awaygot them from london on a trip cant te you much more ill need to ask my mam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal