collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Working with horses, anyone here got experience?  (Read 593 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Working with horses, anyone here got experience?
« on: June 29, 2014, 06:44:17 AM »
I've wanted to work with horse for years, I absolutely adore them, and the very little time I have spent with horses has been lovely. I've never really had any real training or experience, as my parents were completely against the idea so the odd time I got to go horse riding was a treat. For the next few years I need solid work so won't be able to do this for a while, but in the future I'd really like to learn more about them and perhaps get a job caring for them or something. Is it possible to go into something like that with very little experience? Can you get qualifications and such later on?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Working with horses, anyone here got experience?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:02:10 AM »
I wanted to try horseback riding since I was a little kid and tried it for the first time when I was 16. It was really expensive even though I didn't have to buy any equipment and people there were really snobby, stuck up and mean to me. I really enjoyed the part where I worked with horses, but prices and people put me off, so I had to quit after a year. I'm not sure about qualifications, but after training for some time people usually went to some kind of an exam to get riding licence. Also, one of the instructors had previously been a nurse, so I guess it's possible to get licences later on :) 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
I love horses but I have very little experience either. I wish you luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »
I was promised id go horseback riding but it never happened.  Mom used to do it all the time.

I have no experience, but I do know others do <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
The horse world is notoriously full of arrogant people.  Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of us out there that are very happy to assist beginners in gaining experience, but since horses are typically expensive, some people that have them seem to think they're automatically better than others.  That, and horses require a tremendous financial, emotional and time commitment, which can make some people kind of obsessive about their own horses.

The thing about horses is that you can learn a lot of the basics from studying text about them - dietary requirements, management practices, behavior analysis, that sort of thing - but you really do need hands-on experience to actually become proficient in working with them.  They are very large, very powerful animals and even though a lot of people seem to treat them like big dogs, they take very different handling.  For example, it can get hard to stand there calmly while a 1500 pound animal is jumping and dancing and freaking out next to you because it thinks the garbage can is going to eat it, but if YOU get nervous, that's going to only make the situation more dangerous.  It's something that gets easier as you get experience and learn how to read horses, but it's certainly not something that comes naturally to everyone.

I'm not sure what sort of opportunities you have nearby, but you may want to check by some stables or therapeutic riding centers to see if they would accept some sort of volunteer groom position from you, explaining that you're looking for practical experience.  You could also ask around at local tack or feed stores to see if there might be anyone that is looking for help, or possibly post a flier explaining that you're looking for experience.  Keep in mind, if you do find someone willing to give you horse experience for free, it will likely come at the price of less exciting chores such as hauling hay, cleaning stalls and conditioning tack.  (My personal experience with horses began when I was 7, taking riding lessons at a public stable for a few years, but when we moved, I was limited to renting hack-line horses.  I pursued a degree in Animal Science where I capstoned in equine management, and got a very solid education and hands on experience there.  I got my first horse towards the end of college - an aged, been there done that gelding that everyone should be as lucky to have as a first horse - and have had horses ever since).

Don't be discouraged!  Horsemanship isn't something that has an age limit, as long as you're of able body :)  It *does* take time, patience and practice to gain the strength, balance and coordination to ride a horse seamlessly, but anyone with an open mind can learn this sort of thing :)

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
My mum has worked as a groom at the same riding school for 45 years. Out in all weathers, occasionally snobby upper and middle class horse-owning people look down on her for being a manual worker, bad arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, inflicted with kicks, bites, and having horrifically low pay (til the minimum wage laws came in she was getting less than £2 an hour) but she loves the horses and that's all she knows.
BHS exams help, just depends what you want to do in life. The work is hard, and staff turnover in a lot of places is high as people can't take the hard physical messy work. But don't let that put you off!

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
i grew up around horses.  and  have broke and trianed a few mysel.f even worekd as a stalbehand for a year.  i even   have a few   injurys now due to the horses. it isnt easy but it can be rewaridng and fun.  i got expericne form reading. and   watching videos and  from  people who would   listen and teach things.  you denftly have to be comfortalbe around them.  becuae they can feel  your emotion. if your scared. they know if your nervous they  know.

Offline Tiny_Bubbles

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Safety lights are for dudes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
My experience is a little different from what others have posted, so I thought it might be helpful. I grew up in the U.S. showing on the A circuit, doing 4-H, and going through the AMHA horsemastership program. My family is not and was not wealthy, but we had the space to keep horses at home, so I was able to do the work myself and save a LOT of money. I worked in the industry for a very short time, but actually didn't earn enough to keep and show my own horses, so I went to school for something else and have kept the horses as my primary hobby. Health insurance and other benefits are also nice to have. :)   I can't overstress the importance of getting some formal lessons if you want to ride or drive, and keeping up with them.  A pair of extra eyes on the ground is invaluable. It is possible to get a lot of knowledge from books and articles, but there is no substitute for actual hands-on experience, even just grooming and tacking up.

It is never to late to learn to ride, to learn about horses, or to become more proficient at either of those things.  My husband learned how to ride as an adult and it brings him a lot of joy.  You can absolutely learn at any stage of life and enjoy doing it.  My question for you is, do you think you want to groom, be a caretaker, train?   If you learn how to braid hunters, you can make a good chunk of change at horse shows and get repeat business.  Professional stables always need good grooms and barn help. Please be aware, though,  that the hours are long, the work is hard, and many other fields pay better.

Katika gave you some great advice.  I would add to it that you may be able to find someone who would allow you to be a working student: that is, carry out barn tasks in exchange for riding time/lessons.  That usually means mucking stalls, fixing things that need fixing, turning out horses, cleaning muddy horses, cleaning tack, scrubbing water buckets, and so on.  It can be a good way to get your feet wet and learn all aspects of horse care, and you don't need your own horse to do it.

I think keeping horses is more affordable where you live than here in the U.S., and the show circuit costs are definitely more manageable. You also don't have to show! Therapeutic facilities are awesome and can be super rewarding work. I'm excited for you to find out where your horse-y passion lies!

Cherry Hill has some great general horsekeeping books that could be a good starting point for you to learn more.  The HorseKeeping Almanac is a good one. 

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
My first job was at the Barrie horseracing track as a groom at 13 yrs of age. My patrents knew I wanted to be around horses, but when I came home one day and said I needed someone to pick me up after the races at 2am, they found out just HOW badly! It was a great introduction to the hard life...caring for the horses was the best way to learn about them. I figured out very quickly which horses were Ok to work safely around and who I had to cross-tie out of their stalls to do even the smallest chore. I'd be at work at 6am, work till 1pm, then be back for 6pm to work till 2am on race nights (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday) and the other days 6pm until at least 9pm. TBH, it was pretty illegal, but the more I did, the more the owner made, so he was happy. I was injured many times and never complained because I was afraid I'd have to stop working with them. The kicker was that these horses were harness racers...they pulled a rider on a little cart on two wheels...none of us actually RODE any of the horses!!
Anyway, fast forward to 4 years ago, I saw an ad in the local paper looking for someone who knew how to ride to do simple riding walks on paths...well broke horses for newbie riders who were much like yourself, if not newer. Many were unsure about how to approach the whole situation with a horse, let alone ride one! I had taken lessons many years ago in English riding (no horn on the saddle and much lighter style of riding) and these were Westerns. But I decided to show up anyway. The other people who were there didn't get on with the lead horse, who was the one I'd have to ride in order for the other horses to follow. He was the stronger, more...let's say...feisty...one of the bunch. He pretty much chose me, to be honest. The owner asked me my history and talked to me a while, then asked me to take the horse out. I asked her when she needed me to lead the first groups, and she said their first booking wasn't for another few weeks (it was early Spring) I told her I'd be there in the morning and the evening to work with him for a week, then I'd try to ride him. Apparently this was the right answer for both of them! I'd tack him up twice a day and then take him down, walk him, muck him and brush him. For that first week I didn't ride him once. I just got him used to my style and I got used to his....then we'd go for short, gentle rides together that got longer and longer. I'd care for him and ride him for hours in the early morning and evening hours...the times when horses can't see as well and they rely on their people more than usual, and humans can't hear as well as a horse EVER, so I got to learn much quicker what set him off. After a while of riding we were  able to read each other and if something worried him to one side or the other he'd let me know....but it was with subtle body movements or turn of the ear, so nothing that someone who didn't know him would notice. It's the care and love that goes into a horse that gets the connection you need to be able to ride. You can both be unsure of each other, but by working together and learning each others limits, that's what brings it beyond what you read in the magazines and papers. And just because you don't make that connection with one horse, it doesn't mean you can't have it with others.
If you have a chance, take it. Go for a simple noob ride on a trail as I led people on. If you feel comfortable there, talk to the owner of the  place or the other riders. Some are used to the "I wanna work with the horsies" scene, but when you're genuine and acknowledge the hard work, they often soften and will be more forthcoming with info on how to get started. The owners are often a lot like the horses...they need to see you do the hard work before you can get to the nitty gritty :LOL:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:47:46 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal