collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saving money tips?  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Saving money tips?
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
My money is flying off my hands! And next month there will be discounts... Even if I'll buy only discounted (or second hand) dolls and other products, and even if I estimate a price for the item and only buy it if the actual price is close to my estimation,  I know I should save even more if I want to make my toy hobby affordable. So please share your saving tips, please

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Saving money tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
I'm a little confused are you asking for tips on how to save money in general? Because the mentioning of buying more toys is throwing me off. Saving and buying more doesn't really work well together.  :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
I'm a little confused are you asking for tips on how to save money in general? Because the mentioning of buying more toys is throwing me off. Saving and buying more doesn't really work well together.  :lol:

Yes, I'm asking for tips on saving money in general. Sorry if I confused you ^^U

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »
Hmm, I have some kind of a rule that one month I buy ponies, second month I buy manga and third month I can buy games. I've never bought more that 2 ponies (or one, if it's more expensive), 2-3 manga volumes or more than 1 game at once (not including Steam sales, damn you :shakefist: ). So you can set up monthly quotas for yourself. Mine are flexible since I don't buy games very often, so I can replace that month with something different.

Also I keep a list of all the money I've spent online (credit card) and IRL (cash). I can instantly see if I'm going to spend too much money. I think this is something everyone should do.

Furthermore, I always empty my wallet of coins when I get home and put half of them in my "regular" piggy bank and half of them in "off limits" piggy bank. Regular piggy bank is one from which I take coins if I need them or exchange them for large bills when it gets full (once a year maybe). Off limits piggy bank is some kind of last reserve for extremely rainy days :lol: Luckily, I didn't need to use it so far :)

Oh yeah, I always use cash (except for online purchases) because it gives me better idea of how much I've spent. And I avoid keeping a lot of money in my wallet because I'm always like "there is so much money in here, spending just a bit here and there won't make a difference" and before you know it, it's empty :lol:

So yeah, these are my advice haha They may be weird, but they work for me :) Hope it helps!

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
There's a mantra on a UK money saving board which is useful...
Ask yourself these three questions:
"Do you need it?
Can you Afford it?
Can you get it cheaper somewhere else?"

It really helps because sometimes I have doubts about buying something so I think about those questions and if I do need it and can afford it I don't buy it in a store because chances are I can find it online for less. That alone can save me money. Sometimes just thinking like that is enough to make a decision and save money.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
Well what helps me save is to grab my saving piggy bank and actually pull a set amount from each paycheck out of the actual bank and shove it into my pig. That way, the money is tucked away safe. If there's a REAL emergency it can be spent of course, but it keeps it from being easily spent on random things I think I need but don't actually.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
I would do something similar to Kat.  Shove a part of your money away somewhere you wont beable to access everyweek.

Id also mentally limit what I would spend.  Save it as a reward for something instead of 'just cause' :) Maybe save it for the end of the month so you have a goal to work towards.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
There's a mantra on a UK money saving board which is useful...
Ask yourself these three questions:
"Do you need it?
Can you Afford it?
Can you get it cheaper somewhere else?"

It really helps because sometimes I have doubts about buying something so I think about those questions and if I do need it and can afford it I don't buy it in a store because chances are I can find it online for less. That alone can save me money. Sometimes just thinking like that is enough to make a decision and save money.

I do the same thing also. I also think about how much I make at work in an hour. Then I figure out how much time I have to be at work to afford it. Is it really worth it to me. Most of the time its no unless its ponies. But I don't buy ponies unless I have extra money saved up.  I also limit myself to.

Another thing that helped me with money and wants is called Minimalism. I know when people hear that word they think of having nothing. Well that is not all true, yes some people live out of a back pack. I for one could not do that. But what I do do it not buy everything I want and see. I love to read all the different sites that are about it. Its teaches you have to be happy with what you have. I have been able to save a lot of money after following a lot of the steps and advice that is given about it.

And don't go shopping with Credit Cards, they will get you in trouble.

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »
I write it all down and set budgets for the year which I break down into per month amounts. I find having it all written down really helps me stay on focus and not just spend it all away.

My brothers both have secondary savings accounts where they have 10% of their paycheck deposited to each month, that way they don't miss it since it happens right away, and that money is used for emergencies and future big things.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
Ever since I started earning money, I've written down everything I earn and everything I spend. It's a bit tedious at first, but once you get into the habit, it's very convenient and marvellous for working out how much you've got left over every month, how much you want to put aside and how much you can afford to spend on random things.

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 06:09:57 AM »
I always put the money I don't want to spend from each paycheck on my savings account immediately. If I can access it easily, I will end up spending it, usually on several small things and then in the end I always end up surprised on how much money I've spend on trivial things! As long as it's in my savings, I have to think twice before spending it, and that always helps me not spend it :)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
We have a detailed budget for the year - each pay period, how much is coming in, and how much has to go out for bills. If we're short on a pay, then we set aside what we need in a separate account from the pay before, so we know we're covered.

After that, the extra is our spendable (within reason). It's all tracked in an Excel spreadsheet, so we know exactly how much we have available. And we always check the budget and with each other before spending too much (like over $20).

The most important is to make sure bills and obligations are met first. Then if you are saving for something, pick an amount and set it aside - out of sight, out of mind, unspendable. Set a limit of what you can spend and stick to it. If you are looking at something over that limit, then you need to make a sacrifice on something else to make up the extra money needed.

Bottom line - set your limit and stick to it.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
You've got some great tips already!!

Like avenue1984 said, avoid credit cards. If you have to borrow money from someone for something, you don't need it.

For me, I have very little disposable income to begin with.
I only allow pony money to come from ponies. What I mean is if I don't sell ponies or customs I don't buy ponies.

Definitely sit down and work out your monthly budget. Also if there are long term things you're thinking of start a savings account. That doll or pony or other collectible will be there in the future (yes, with the exception of that rare ooak deal).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
My wife and I do a lot of praying, sneaking extra hours at work, and selling things we can live without if it gets desperate.

It's not a good way to make ends meet, so we've cut back a lot since we moved.  :blush:

I reccomend just pulling $20 out of your paycheck, storing it somewhere at home where you can't touch it and save it for emergencies/rainy day.
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »
To save money:

!) Give your money to me. Lol... nobody takes me up on this solution... Actually my dad does.

Seriously, give your money to someone else (that you trust, like a parent). Tell them to put it in a savings account (that you don't have joint access to). They'll be happy to help, and it's easier and requires less discipline than putting it in your own savings account and leaving it alone.  And of course, try to make regular "deposits", even if it's only $10-$20 a month. ($10 means $120 saved each year, $20 means $240 saved each year.) Can you save one dollar each day? ONE DOLLAR? Then you can save $365 each year. How about two dollars each day? I'll bet you can! That's $730 saved after only one year!! Math: it adds up. (trademark. just kidding.)

To not spend money:

!) To curb impulse buying, make it a habit to immediately think of something negative about the item. (example- see a pony at a toy show: "WOW! A yellow pony! Want! >it's a little dirty, and I know I can find a nice one for a similar price on the Arena when I'm ready.<"

I  also do this when I'm trying to avoid not-good-for-me-food: "A caramel roll! I love those! >the ones across town are better, but I'm not going there today.<"

Good luck! Let me know if you want me to hold onto any of your money for you! ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:01:24 AM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal