collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Silly dilemma, what would you do?  (Read 987 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Silly dilemma, what would you do?
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:10:21 AM »
I am stuck in a very silly dilemma which probably only people here would understand, haha.

Namely, a few days ago I picked up a whole Apple Delight family from the thrift store. They were a mess as you can see on the first picture, but they cleaned up pretty nicely. The thing is, they have obviously been together since always! They are a true pony family that was together for almost 20 years!! I know I shouldn't care but I do :blush:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here's the problem: i already have an Apple Delight family. Mine is mismatched and members vary in condition. The little sister I have is in a very poor condition whereas the new one is in a pretty great condition. Daddies are similar but my Mommy and little brother are basically mint whereas the new ones have issues!

WHAT SHOULD I DO!? Haha, I know i'm silly, but I feel so bad breaking up the family!!

This is my family btw. I know apart from the sis the pictures don't show much difference, but the new brother and mommy's hair isn't as silky as it is on my ponies.

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
Re: Silly dilemma, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
Keep the best and sell the rest :)

GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Ackryllis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 10:37:15 AM »
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind.
;A;
Keep them all?

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »
I understand the sentimentality of it, but if you're going for best condition I agree, use this opportunity to upgrade and make some pony spending money!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
Maybe upgrade your current family and then sell the others as a family> I know I'm looking for a complete family and I'm sure others are too!

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Yeah, it depends what kind of collector you are - if you go for minty goodness, keep the best and sell the rest. If you are a not-so-picky collector, keep the family together.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to break up the family! Since it sounds like you really only need to upgrade your baby sister, I would sell the new set (I'd be interested depending on postage!) and use the money towards upgrading your sister.

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
I can't break family, I had the choice once to separate twins to upgrade one of them, I just couldn't.

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
I prefer things, as a collector, kept original.  It's your ponies, of course, but I find things that haven't been pieced apart or together or split to bits and kept original are more interesting and better.  Just me. . .

What flaws do the mother and brother of the new set have?  You said something about hair?  It's not as silky?  Have you tried the boil and condition method of hair restoration?  I find it'll restore even frizzy hair to almost new, and slightly rough hair usually goes almost to factory new if it hasn't been messed with a hot iron. 

svetilda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »
I can't break family either. As you said they were together for so long! And as someone said I couldn't upgrade some of twins when I had chance if mine were bought together.

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:14 PM »
I would keep them all :P

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 12:55:29 PM »
I personally would keep the best ones and do whatever with the rest, but as others said, it depends on what of collector you are. 
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
Haha, thank you all for your comments! :D
I am strongly leaning towards keeping the new family. I'm kinda glad to see i'm not the only one sentimental enough to really care about not breaking them up :) I am also not a picky collector and i do chose sentimentality over minty-ness most of the time.

The flaws on the new boy are that his body was very dirty and although he cleaned up 90% there are still some smudges left that I think might be permanent. The mom has an eye rub, and they both have kinda stiff hair. I generally wouldn't mind any of this if I didn't already have minty counterparts with lovely silky hair. But I think I might just bite the bullet and keep them and try to use the tips MiRaja mentioned to fix them up.

My old family will then be for sale so if anyone is interested in them, let me know :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Carcina

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »

I prefer things, as a collector, kept original.  It's your ponies, of course, but I find things that haven't been pieced apart or together or split to bits and kept original are more interesting and better.  Just me. . .

What flaws do the mother and brother of the new set have?  You said something about hair?  It's not as silky?  Have you tried the boil and condition method of hair restoration?  I find it'll restore even frizzy hair to almost new, and slightly rough hair usually goes almost to factory new if it hasn't been messed with a hot iron.

... Could you possibly tell me more about this method? :O

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
Oh! I completely understand that dilemma! :lol: I would be the same and completely struggling to separate the family which have so clearly been together so long.

However I love Vertefae's suggestion of splitting out the ones you wish to upgrade and then selling the remainder on as a complete family. :) That would perhaps make you feel a little better?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:12:58 PM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »

... Could you possibly tell me more about this method? :O

It's really simple.  You put on a pot of boiling water and you dip pony's hair in it.  ( Just be careful not to touch the hair to a burner, it'll melt and you'll be SOL ) You can also do a boil perm like this with the hair set in curlers.

For the sake of de-frizzing, you'll want to have a cloth on your counter as well as a brush.  I find a teasing brush ( with the multitudes of thin little bristles ) works best.  Hold pony's hair in at 15 seconds at a time ( more or less won't matter.  Nylon fibers will not melt at 200F or the temperature of boiling water ) and then plop pony on cloth.  Brush the hair out straight quickly while the nylon is still warm.  Rinse and repeat.  You can also mix in a bit of conditioner or olive oil during these steps to start softening the nylon.  I just go with the flow. 

It's really easy, and because boiling water is a consistent temperature, it's a lot better than hot ironing, and hot ironing still does damage the fibers to some extent.  I found on ponies that I 'restored' with hot iron that were a bit frizzy, would not respond to the boil treatment, while unmolested ponies could come back from some pretty bad frizz.  I did a Italian Firefly with a frizzy mess and also a Cuddles that was super frizzy and rough, and Firefly was MUCH improved and Cuddles was returned to perfect softness.  Also, did a Mexi Prince Emerald.  Thought his hair was a goner, but the tail came out 8/10 and the mane is def. a full 10 in silky and softness. 

OH, forgot to add, DO not use this method on the color-changing hair ponies! 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:43:56 PM by MiRaja »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal