collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on cleaning stuffed animals?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Advice on cleaning stuffed animals?
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »
I have given a few stuffed animals light, gentle washes in the past by tying them inside a pillow case and tossing them in the washing machine on a low tumble, though most of my plushies just get a fluff in the dryer because I'm afraid of damaging them with water and the intensity of a washing machine.

Today at a Goodwill Outlet though, I found a Baby Piggy that has clearly seen some better days. I'm very new to collecting Muppet Babies, so I decided to rescue her... but she's pretty manky so I want to be able to clean her and clean her well.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips on what would be the best approach? She's a Hasbro Softie like the one in this picture from Google (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1e/8f/d8/1e8fd8cf058c76456095f50f82707969.jpg), but she has a stain on the bottom of her butt, and her hair is really clumpy and strand-y, like Chuckie from The Rugrats. I fear that it may be done for... but I'm going to try going after it with conditioner and a comb like regular doll hair.

Is there anyone out there who has cleaned something like this before? Should I go for the washing machine, or would it be better to try hand washing myself? What about the hair? I think one of the reasons I'm reluctant to use the washing machine is because I fear that it might be too rough and mess up her sitting pose, or maybe even her clothes. I just want to touch her and not want to set my hand on fire afterwards. I hate being dirty.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on cleaning stuffed animals?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:08:34 AM »
I'd recommend a 30 degrees centigrade hand wash cycle in your washing machine, with it inside the pillowcase. I washed a few plushes this way just the other day, including an expensive Jellycat with strange material whiskers that I thought may melt, but it came out sparkling clean and smelling wonderful. I'd also advise using a kind machine powder, nothing too strong, so a nicer detergent, such as a brand like Ecover, to not bleach the plush. We use a Boots pharmacy sensitive powder that costs about £15 a box, but it prevents our allergies kicking off and does an amazing job.

As for the hair, I don't think you can really save it, and over brushing is just going to pull out clumps of it if it is as you describe, and it is really that old.

But yeah, a pillowcase wash will help the dirt, as for the stain, use a spot on treatment like vanish, so something more powerful to try and get the stain out.

Good luck!

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:34:49 AM »
For plushies there is a soap out there in a small yellow rectangular bar called exit. This is the best stuff for stain removal, nothing I have used has ever worked better. I know you can purchase it from some hardware stores and offline.

For her hair I would think it would be similar to pony hair? If it is treat it the same way after washing.

For her plysh overall if it has any pile to it, get a dog or cat grooming wire toothed brush, it helps bring the fuzz back after washing and helps fluff up the plush.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
I agree completely with Fingerpaints...Next is AWESOME and can be found both in Canada and the States. You don't need too much, though, so be careful 'cause it's sneaky powerful...just rub a little into the stain and let it sit to work a while, then do the rub like you would a stain on a sock. When you comb the plush, start at the bottom near the actual material and pull the pile through the teeth, not just along the surface. It'll fluff the pile to almost new! It takes forEVER, but the results are totally worth it and it gets to be kind of methodical and relaxing after a while :)

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
Where can you buy Next in Canada? Just at Wal-mart or something? I have  boxes full of stuffed animals that never got unpacked when we moved from Ontario to Alberta cause they all need cleaning, but I didn't know the best way to clean them - this thread is great!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
I don't have anything else to add, but I would definitely suggest treating the hair like you would pony hair.  Just be gentle when brushing it through to avoid it coming out <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
Oooh, there is a lot of really great advice on this thread. Thank you! I'll go pick up some Next the next time I'm out. I'm not really concerned about bleaching the stain too badly since it's on the diaper which should be white. (It's on a pretty unfortunate spot since it's a stain on a diaper... yeah, I want it gone!)

As for the hair, I normally use a wide-tooth pick when it's that bad, but then switch to a finer tooth when I get the worst of it taken care of. I wonder if anyone has ever given these toys replacement hair?

Also, what do you guys think of using baking soda on these? I read somewhere that that can help with some plush toys, but I really do feel better with a gentle detergent. Icecrystalline, those brands sound wonderful, but sadly, I'm not from the UK and have never heard of them... if I can find them somewhere here in the US though, I'll buy some specifically for my toys and keep them in the special toy-cleaning drawer I have just for them!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
Baking soda is  great for cleaning plushies!  Also I use a cleaner called Simple Green - it's pretty effective. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
Looks like you've gotten some good advice! Best of luck!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
I usually just toss mine in the wash on the gentile cycle with a scoop of Oxy Clean and then zip them up in a Dryel bag or pillow case and throw them in the dryer on the lowest setting.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal