collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lady Knight and Owl Cameo, Fakie Contest Entries  (Read 300 times)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Lady Knight and Owl Cameo, Fakie Contest Entries
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:49:29 PM »
Hi guys! Well, wow, it's been a long time since I posted in here. I'm sort of a slow customizer, to say the least, but I had a great time trying to bust out these two in time for the end of the contest! These two don't even have sealer done on them yet!! :blush:

Ultimately, I wanted to make ponies that I would love to keep once the contest was over, and I succeeded - I really, really like how they both turned out! I've even received an offer to buy for both of them, but unfortunately, I like them too much to sell, I'm sorry!

So first up, my non-Hasbro fakie, who I have dubbed Lady Knight! My original 'vision' was for a very kawaii, hyper-girly and pastel mount for a female knight to ride. I put a lot of work into her 'armor,' because I really wanted her to look completely over-the-top with detailing! Her symbol is a 'halbeard', from FFXI, which I referenced and turned pink! http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:FFXI_Polearm_2A.png Her haircolors are all Dollyhair MLP-style nylon, and the colors I used are Fairy’s Breath (pink), Arctic Frost (blue), and Twilight (purple). If you'll note, I took great care to avoid using any black paint/detailing on her; her eyes are outlined in a dark purple to preserve the pastel look. Her tail was also widened, as it was quite small, but I otherwise did not modify the original fakie mold. I think it's a super-cute style of fakie!

Lady Knight came to me first in a bait lot, as she had been someone's airbrush experiment pony. This is how she looked at first!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And after paint removal -

This was right after I finished the armor, but before I finished shortening the reins. They were too long the first time! I also added a lot more detail later.

Here she is with the final hair colors I selected for her.

Once she was finished, I went a little nuts with the photos!

Final shot:

Owl Cameo was my Hasbro-mold fakie entry, and the first-place winner of her division! Woo hoo!!!

I basically planned her to be a complete opposite from what Lady Knight was going to be - while Lady Knight was multicolored, super-detailed, pastel and girly, I wanted Owl Cameo to be more simple, monochrome, and streamlined. (This was also to save me grief - I knew I'd have to spend a lot of time to finish Knight, so I wanted to have a simpler pony I could finish quickly, in case I ran out of time!) However, I spent almost all of the contest time trying to figure out what hair colors to give her!! I struggled, a lot, and forced my friends to listen to my endless ranting about 'what color to use.' Sorry guys! I only finally rehaired her the weekend before the contest ended! She was still getting painted the day before the contest end, which should tell you how badly I struggled with her hair combo! XD My "simple" pony became a bigger pain in the butt than my super-detailed and finicky one!

The problem was, I was basically going to give her Black Tie Pinkie Pie's haircolors, but in blue - but then I was told that black would be 'too harsh', and without a color to make it 'pop' it looked kind of boring, so I struggled to find an alternative! Finally, I went for a monochrome-themed blend of blues and white, with a splash of yellow-orange to spice it up! And I love her hair now!

This was her original hair 'concept':

And then I came up with this one:

Finally, I settled for a 'gradient' of blues, done in 5-9 plugs each, smoothly blending to the darkest blue-black, to orange, then back again to white. Her hair actually has a different pattern on each line of plugs - there is no Pacific Ocean in the 'top' line of plugs, and no Passion Fruit either. (Although you can see it peeking through from the bottom row, as seen here.) The colors are Blizzard, Daiquiri Ice, Mermaid, Forget Me Not, Pacific Ocean and Passion Fruit. I also punched a lot of new hair-holes and a much larger tail-hole, since this type of fakie only had one line of hair, and it ended up near her ears, giving her a bit of a high forehead. Now her hair is super thick!

Sadly, you can see in these pics that there is a bit of dark discoloration on her NDS ear - she got left with the hair baggies for a couple days, and the permanent marker stained her ear! :(

Top row (with Passion Fruit peeking through the Blizzard):

Bottom row (underside):

Hello world!

Final shot:

What's funny is, I wanted to enter both categories of the contest to 'push' myself, to try and finish two ponies in a month, but I really thought that Lady Knight had a much better chance of winning than Owl Cameo did. She's much flashier, and no one will vote for a 'simple' rehair and symbol repaint, I figured, so I put most of my effort into Knight. Imagine my surprise when my 'simple' pony completely obliterated the more detailed one in the voting! :lmao:

Thank you to everyone who voted for my ponies!! I loved all of the fakies that were entered, and it was truly an honor to win among such stiff competition! :cheer:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:52:05 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Knight and Owl Cameo, Fakie Contest Entries
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »
Seriously SUCH gorgeous ponies!  I LOVED Lady Knight- all of her details and accessories!  And Owl Cameo was really just so very beautifully executed- she looks factory made!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
So pretty! I really love Lady Knight!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
I love the non-hasbro's symbol! I didn't see that before :) and great hair colors

the hasbro is stunning. that cameo is perfectly haunting :)

DeviantArt Etsy

Online Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 08:44:56 PM »
Thanks ladies!! :blush: I really loved everyone's entries in the contest, that's why I was so surprised I won something! :cheer: I think we had a REALLY awesome turnout this year, I can't wait for the next contest!!

I'm trying to find all of the old custom threads so I can tell everyone how much I liked their ponies, I apologize in advance for all of the old bumps! XD Thankfully, they're only a page back!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
wow <3
xoxo

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
Both are awesome but really love the owl cameo one - gorgeous hair blend and wonderful symbol :)

Offline puuush

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Customizing is my destiny
    • View Profile
    • etsy
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 05:13:04 AM »
Wow, the Lady Knight is awesome. I like both, but the knight really is outstanding. :D

wanted | etsy Avatar by AnnaPommes, signature by LunaCat. Thank you.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 08:24:22 AM »
WOW! Those of those ponies are very pretty! That first one is beautiful! :)

Online Snapdragon

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:17:06 AM »
Awww, thanks ladies!! It means a lot to me! :heart: Especially to have such lovely artists telling me they like my work!  :blush: Thank you!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal