collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help for Build a Bear Fluttershy's hair  (Read 1774 times)

Taxandria

• Trade Count: (0)
Help for Build a Bear Fluttershy's hair
« on: June 14, 2014, 01:21:25 PM »
We got a BAB Fluttershy around April or so and her hair is realllly matted and tangled now. I've never seen it this bad on a pony before and we also have Sweetie Belle and her hair is starting to go. Bear in mind (no pun intended) that these are played with and slept with so not just sitting in a case or on a shelf, but I expected the hair would hold up a bit better. I tried wetting some of it with warm water and combing but the hair is completely kinked up and down. Also it's hard getting her near water as she's a plush.

I also had a problem with her stitching coming out on her back and took her in to be restitched.

Has anyone got a solution to this hair problem? Here is a photo with her in it and you can see her hair looks like dreadlocks now. It also feels like Brillo. :X :yikes:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you need a close up I can take one.

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help for Build a Bear Fluttershy's hair
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
I don't know how you can go about getting it soft again, but I sleep with mine, and keep her hair tied in tight braids, which seems to help keep it neat. Good luck!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
Unfortunately if she is going to be played slept with this is going to continue to happen to her hair. You can tell brushable nylon hair like this is not something BAB do all that often. There are certain types of artificial hair - normally stuff which is designed to be as soft as possible - which are simply prone to soft matts like this. Clearly due to the toys purpose as a blush, its that super soft hair BAB have rightfully used. While it means she is lovely and soft in every way at purchase, the down side is the hair is really not meant to be overly messed with.

The only thing you can do, as mentioned, is keep her hair in braids when she is being slept with and ensure you brush it out as soon as you have finished playing with her. A quick scoosh through her hair of a kids detangler will allow you to brush it out without risking chugging the hair enough to pull too much out. Otherwise you just have to continue to manage and brush it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »
I have heard stories that fabric softener for doll hair works wonders.
I would guess to just be very careful with the water and how you wash her. in the future to keep her hair nice...wrap it in saran wrap?
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Taxandria

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
I can try the fabric softener (any particular brand or method?) and the detangler (I have some from the dollar store, is that good enough?) Once it's straight -- if I ever get it straight -- I will braid it. Sweetie Bell's hair is going to be a bit lost because if I braid her hair she will get her curls messed up. :(

Offline MoondancerMilkyWay

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • you've got to pony while the pony is pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:20 PM »
not a colored one. I dont know if they make a colorless fabric softener though?
I also heard for curls you can get regular human curlers from a beauty store like Sally Beauty Supply!
Hot Water will help the curls hold but you can't boil her due to plush and don't use a curling iron because it will melt her.
~I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more ponies! I gotta have more ponies!~
"I'm not going to buy every Malibu Stacy with a hat"  - ponyqueen

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
i  put mine in the dryer on  adelciate spin with  a  Fabric softner  sheet (its clear) and then i tied her hair in a briad..  beforei did that her hair   was   falling out horribley..    so far  keeping her hair in teh braid  has helepd..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Iris Patch

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Ugh, mine is all tangled and horrible after sleeping with her three nights! I can't comb it out either, it kind of makes me mad. The doll hair is really itchy feeling when I hug her too, blargh. Too bad! I'm going to just replace her hair with fur instead.

Taxandria

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »
I was wondering how complicated it would be to replace the hair. Not sure what I would replace with but could I give her a hair transplant? If I buy the pony hair would that work or will it take some serious surgery? (My sewing machine is still up in Canada as I have not shipped all my stuff down to TX yet so anything will have to be hand made.)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »
I could be wrong but I believe her hair is basically on a separate fabric seam underneath the body - so in theory you should be able to cut her open, cut it out and replace it. However you would need to factory sew nylon hair on to some kind of fabric and then reattach the fabric inside her and finally sew her back together again. I would think its running a bit of a risk to be honest and you would need to be prepared that it could wreck her unless you were super confident in what you were doing. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
Our Rainbow Dash had some hair problems too, what with sleeping with her and playing with her so I used Johnson's Baby Detangler and soaked her hair in it. It seem to do the trick for her.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal