collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weirdest pony names  (Read 256 times)

Offline RustyGusty

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Weirdest pony names
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:13:34 AM »
What are the weirdest MLP official names you ever came across?

I thought the following sounded funny:

• Trickles
  • Skippity Doo
  • Hippity Hop
  • Yum yum
  • 4-speed
  • Tangles
  • Princess Taffeta
  • Peppermint Crunch
  • Squeezer
  • Shovels
  • Edgar
  • Player
  • Pina Colada
  • Posey Rose
  • Starflash
  • Gypsy
  • Hip-Hop
  • Kiss & Make Up

And, funny naming two different ponies in the same set, the exact same name, Hulahula, which differs between the Euro and US release.

Some unrelated ponies have the same or similar names, like Blue Belle and Bluebell. Or Cha Cha.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Re: Weirdest pony names
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:49 AM »
Up, Up & Away. I mean it doesn't really sound like a name does it xD I mean, I sometimes refer to my ponies as "My Little [pony name]", AKA My Little Gusty or My Little Nibbles. My Little Up, Up & Away doesn't really have the same ring to it xD I love the pony herself though  :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:22:36 AM »
Tootie tails
Woosie
Tink-a-tinka-too
Whizzer

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
For me it's mostly the ones that sound more like a sentence than a name.  Like "Always and Forever"  and (as mentioned) "Up, Up and Away".  I don't have anything against the names or anything, but it stands out compared to the other names.

"Tux n Tails" and "Satin n Lace" are kind of odd to look at too, but I still like them.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
Good ones everyone! ...I mean weird ones! ;D

Especially "Tink-a-tinka-too"! Are some of those G2 or G3 ponies? Because I haven't even looked into those yet. I bet there are some more funny ones.

But then again pretty much all MLP names sound funny to me since I'm not american. I tried looking some of them up what they meant and then some made more sense.

MJNSEIFER, "Tux n Tails"  and "Satin n Lace", those sound almost more like doll names rather than pony names. Like Jem dolls "Flash 'n Sizzle", "Rock 'n Curl", "Glitter 'n Gold". Also made by Hasbro.

The worst line of toys according to names though, must be Mattel's She-ra (Princess of Power), with names like Double Trouble, Entrapta, Peekablue, Perfuma, Spinnerella, Buttina. I just can't stand any of those names. Maybe it's just me. Or what about He-man, Spikor, Stinkor, Scare Glow, Tung Lashor, Webstor. Now I feel I'm going off topic here... ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
I think in their place and in their time all pony names make sense and work. But I ll admit that Tootie Tails and Floater are more than a little odd :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »
Yeah in the 80's we just accepted their names, and didn't think twice about it. But for myself I would only remember names like Applejack, Firefly, Surprise, Shady, Lickety Split, Gusty, North Star and Wind Whistler. Much thanks to the cartoon I guess.

Found some funny G2 names: Basket Surprise, Hip Holly, Satin Slipper, Dizzy Lizzy, and Trixiebelle.

And G3: Razzaroo, Tea Leaf, Goody Gumdrop, Aloha Pearl, Blossomforth, Sew-and So, Serendipity, Toola Roola, Toodleloo, Keen Bean, and Pepperberry.

It seems Hasbro re-used some names for later lines, for ponies that didn't even resemble them. Maybe because they had trademarked those names. I wonder what they pay the person who comes up with these new names. ;)

BlazePony84

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
Floater has always bugged me... did no one at Hasbro ever think of what connotations that has?  And the twins Sticky and Sniffles, when you think about the names together... ew.  And waterfire... idk, just feels lazy (I have a personal vendetta against WF but that's another story *ehem* *points at sig*)

Offline RustyGusty

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »
I actually can't tell what's weird about some of those. I guess it means they would have worked in most of Europe. We Europeans wouldn't get those connotations. But yeah waterfire sounds like a contradiction. ;)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
While I agree that some of the above are worse than this one, I still have to add Savannah Sage from G3.  It just sounds like the kind of name you'd hear in an establishment where folks make money by disrobing...
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
I second Tootie Tails, Floater, and Whizzer.  Tootie Tails in particular is so bizarre...and her symbol is a pineapple, right?  I have no idea where they go that name!

Tink a tink a too always comes up, and I can understand how she got that strange name.  Her symbol is bells, right?  So they wanted to maybe emulate the sound of a bell ringing.  But, that is usually "ding dong"  (ding dong the witch is dead anyone?) or maybe "bong" for a large bell, or "tinkle" for a small bell, none of which are...well, they just aren't appropriate pony names XD so they went with a modification of tinkle.  What do you think? 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I always thought waterfire was a pretty cool hasbro reference. But some of the G1 names like Floater and Pillow Talk, ouch. And the Morning Glory's (also could be taken badly) and Sugarberry's drive me nuts. All we need is G4 versions and we'll have one in every gen bar 3.5!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
Tink-A-Tink-A-Too is still weird...and so is Beebop  :huh:

I don't know about G1, although i'm pretty sure there are, idk...i'm not really into G1 X_X
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal