collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Improving Pony  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: The Improving Pony
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I do bring my own meals from home. Cooking is a hard part on the boat. Most of the time my husband and I need the extra sleep so we eat mostly raw fruits and veggies.....I get enough to fill me up an dnot be hunger but I just want other foods. I want to pig out on pasta or hot dogs or anything I should not have....I was doing really well, but slipped again today. So I made it 4 days...I have rewarded myself with reading a book for a bit since it broke my last record.

SO Friday starts day 1 for me...shooting for 5 or more:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »
Found a program that can help me with my Internet addiction - ColdTurkey. It blocks the pages I normally use (including this lovely forum), and I set it so I only have those pages available a few hours a day. More time to spend reading, walking around or grooming ponies  :P

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 04:42:52 AM »
I have rewarded myself with reading a book for a bit since it broke my last record.
Rewarding yourself is really important when you are working hard to achieve something :) It's always a motivation to do even better.

Found a program that can help me with my Internet addiction - ColdTurkey. It blocks the pages I normally use (including this lovely forum), and I set it so I only have those pages available a few hours a day. More time to spend reading, walking around or grooming ponies  :P
For that purpose I use addon for Firefox called LeechBlock since it's very customisable. I use it in combination with ManicTime. That's a program which tracks how much time you spend on your computer doing what. Since I need my PC to study it's very useful and I can see how un-productive I actually am. I always thought that I study for several hours, but in reality it's just around two!

I did well on the exam and only two to go! With this last one, I would feel like I'd rather kill myself than continue after studying for half an hour, but luckily, these two are better. Even after an hour and a half, I didn't feel as tired. Seems promising :)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
Well this is a less than atractive quality..

Eh. In my work place there is a ton of gossip. Everyone talks badly about everyone everyone tells stories and as where I use to keep my mouth shut before. I am finding myself talking crap about people too..

I mean everyone dosse to Some extent Everyone dose whether its a thought or word. Human nature.. But mine has gotten bad. And it's hard to admit this but I have turned into a gossip er.

People can be frustrating and I use to compalin about my management beacuse they made life hell for me for no real reason, beacuse of this I went to upper management and it did stop. And now they are nice to me as ever.

I even had a manager say they liked me beacuse I didn't cause problems.

No I don't cause phycal problems, I don't voise much of anythibg to management and when I have complained about my co workers no one heard it but a few pwople I work with. But it dose hurt people I work with, and I think people are likeing me less and less.

I am not looking to be super liked just that if I give repect than I gain it. And no one should be tor down just beacuse they have faults like eveyyone elce in the world. People are jerks but I can be one too.

Here is a good way of putting it or maybe gross.
We have all stept in dog crap..but the mind set is the dog crap I stept in is cleaner than the dog crap you stept in.
Failing to relize its all dirty dog crap no matter who shoes its on.

Anyway..

I wanna keep my mouth shut. No more jokes, no more complaining. No gossip.

They say it takes 30 days to brake a habbit and if I get better at not doing it at the end of this month I think I'll buy a new pony or something grate!

:accomplished:

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
It would be much worse if you continued to gossip a lot and didn't see a problem. It's OK to gossip from time to time :) I've decided not to gossip any more a few years ago, but sometimes I just can't help it :P I fell better about myself if I just listen (when there are more people gossiping) and don't say anything. ;)
Good luck! :biggrin:

Offline Primrose

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »
Hi CG!  :wave: You should be expecting snail-mail shortly  :sendmail:  :snail:

I have been in denial.

I've always known I have a sweet tooth, but now it's turning into a problem when I'm trying to lose weight. Those sour patch straws and cheddar flavored ruffles are my favorite, and I've been buying them more frequently than I used to. I also may or may not have eaten an entire pint of rocky road ice cream in one sitting recently... :lookround:

...yeah, it has to stop. Trying to be healthier may have backfired earlier this year. I was trying to count macros and eat clean, and it was just giving me a headache. Trying to squish all these foods into these parameters...it just wasn't working for me. I wound up eating the same thing every day, because I was too afraid of messing up my numbers. It was frustrating, feeling that there were healthy foods I couldn't eat. Then, predictably, I would try to follow the program and feel deprived and sad, and turn to my sugar-straws...then I would feel sadder  >_<. I may go back to counting macros if I ever become nutrition-savy, but for me it's a little extreme right now and not something I'm up to.

I'm just going to try to eat foods that are good for me instead of processed crap. I'll keep it as stress free as possible, with no limits so long as what I'm eating is healthy. No counting, no stress. My boyfriend suggested allowing myself a straw and a small (snack size) bag of chips per week so I don't feel such a strong need to binge. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
Well today I did slip.. But on the bright side I did restrain myseld from saying to much going over board about it. It can be hard when one person is venting and hearing thoese opinons form in my head then

.. Out pops saying things ..  :nerdy:

eh in my mind this sets me a day behind from braking the habbit.

30 days to brake a habbit
i alwase say..
:accomplished:

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
I think everyone has to stop focussing on their faults and "failures". Instead of writing in your book about the things you did wrong, write in it everything you did RIGHT that day. Not just when it comes to your diet, but in how you are as a human being all day. "Today I opened and held a door for an elderly woman." "I saw a big cake and said, no, thank you!" "I saw myself in the mirror today, and instead of looking at my faults, I looked at other parts of myself. I never knew I had such pretty eyes! And I have really nice toes...my fingernails are the perfect length...I have stellar boobs!" Whatever! Then, on a specific night, whichever you choose be it once a week or once a month, go back and read all that positive stuff. That way dopamine is released into your brain and body...dopamine is the pleasure hormone your body is creating when you indulge in either really good tasting food or gossip, or sex, or drugs! Basically, you're not craving those sour straws, you're craving feeling good, and you've linked feeling good to the sugary foods.
Finding a new "drug" is hard. Some people (such as myself) can't produce enough dopamine on their own and need to be on medication in order to just feel "normal". Self-medicating seldom works, but a lot of the time when you realise what you really want, then you can find other ways to produce that happy high. Maybe something healthy, like going for a walk, or swimming, or bird watching. Try something new! Maybe join a knitting circle, or go to a retirement home and read to the people there.
If you find yourself feeling down about yourself, give yourself a compliment. "Well, I slipped up today and had a chocolate bar, but I'm Ok with that. I'm not a bad person because that happened. it's because I'm human, and I'll try harder tomorrow." Go to bed on a happy note. Find short stories to read like the "Chicken Soup For The ____ Soul." They're short, they're quick, and they make you feel good! Read as many as you need to feel happy before you fall asleep, and read them out loud to your significant other or to your kids. It's a good bonding thing, and it gives you something to look forward to and be excited about!
I really think you guys will be successful in your goals :) A lot of people go through their whole lives pointing fingers at everyone else and do little to better themselves....you guys are on a great path!
Oh, and when it comes to gossiping, if you find yourself with something sour in your mouth from something someone did or didn't do, try forcing yourself to find something nice about that person, even if you're only thinking the bad stuff in your head. The bad stuff affects you whether you say it or not and can bring you down and is really a punishment on yourself. I usually find something ridiculous in my head, like "Gawd, she was a b__ch today! But damn, she knows how to style her hair!" like that. And instead of criticising at work, give compliments instead! "Your work area is always so nice and organized, maybe you could give me tips some time!" "Y'know, I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I always see you making the coffee so it's there for everyone else. I like the way you make it and I appreciate you doing that for us!" They'll get a dopamine release and will be nicer to work with, and you also get a happy high by thinking and saying those things, plus you get to see how happy you've made someone just for noticing the small things they do. Everyone wants a compliment once in a while...even you! :hug:
Good luck everyone! You have my best :cheer:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:19:05 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 02:44:25 PM »
Thank you :) These are really good advice! Especially the one about complimenting others (for me, at least) :biggrin:

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
Thank you :) These are really good advice! Especially the one about complimenting others (for me, at least) :biggrin:

Some people can be really difficult to find something positive about...see that as a challenge to overcome! "Everything about this person is aweful but...uh...she always keeps her pencils sharp?" :lol: the ridiculous compliments you keep in your head are sometimes the best ones :)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 06:00:47 AM »
I am back:) Wow some really great advice has been posted. This was what I was hoping to see. People just working things out with ponies that can support you. I have not kept track o fmy extras. Ooops. It has slowed a bit...but my new job has all kind of goodies. When all I have for breakfast is a giant orange and apple...and I am satisfied but I want that cupcake or bag of chips too....

I have moved to a new area. Primrose I got your snail mail and will be returning with the new address. The move has been great already with some really nice people who are helpful and very kind. There is a gym on site as well so I have more chances to work out and keep my mind off eating my feelings.

Emotionally I feel better these past few months. I had so many fun events to keep me feeling happy that It helped a lot. I would like to find a way to make me happy each day. I miss some of my pony friends...that helped a lot.

Thanks for the great supprot everyone:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 06:20:12 AM »
hi everyone I'd love to join in.

My current goal has been to cut back on pop (just food in general) and I've been doing great.  So my new goal is to go to the gym at least 4 times a week.  I've already hit the gym once this week and I'll be going today. 

My other habit I'd like to work on is owning too much stuff.  I'd like to move out within the next year (if not sooner) and there's no reason or way I can take everything with me. 

Offline June

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi and welcome :biggrin:

It's great to hear that everyone is making some progress :) I have finished with my exams and now I'm focused on losing weight and shaping up. I was always trying to eat less sweets and unhealthy stuff, but now I have started running! It feels great and I hope that I'll see some results by the time when uni starts again which is end of September.

My other habit I'd like to work on is owning too much stuff.  I'd like to move out within the next year (if not sooner) and there's no reason or way I can take everything with me. 

If you have lots of clothing that you want to get rid of, pick six (or less) favourite pieces of clothing of each kind (6 dresses, 6 pairs of jeans, 6 shirts, 6 tops...) and donate the rest. When you want to buy a new t shirt and you already have six, buy it only if you are willing to replace one of the old ones with the new one. This, of course doesn't apply on undies and socks.
This method can probably work with other things ;)

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 10:40:18 AM »
Thanks June, I'm not huge into clothing but I definitely have some piece that I should donate.  There's no reason to hold onto clothing that I don't fit into, or wont use again. (I love t shirts!!)

I have a bag of donation toys ready to go and I'm getting rid of my extra chair.  I had to get out a set of tools to dismantle it, so I could get it through the door. 
I also found a set of hidden vhs ...  I thought I had tossed all of them but I'll be adding them to the donation bag.
I emptied a huge Tupperware container!!! 

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
kakenterprise, you sound like you are making awesome strides towards decluttering!

June, congratulations on finishing your exams! I am a student myself so I know how tough it can be to focus when you'd rather do almost anything else (I know it's really bad when I find myself longing to do other things I don't even normally like, like say, cleaning the microwave).

Crowning_Glory, I am so happy to hear you have been doing well these past weeks! I bet living in a new place will make it easier for you to work on your goals. :)

SeashellInBubbles, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for that post! I have had a horrible summer professionally and emotionally and that really made me feel better, and gave some great advice about how I might approach situations more positively in the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal