collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I need help washing (Solved Thanks)  (Read 250 times)

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I need help washing (Solved Thanks)
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
My daughter was given 4 talking plush baby ponies from G3- and they are quite dirty. There is even one that looks like it soiled it's diaper O_O I want to wash them in some really good laundry soap and kill whatever is ailing them. She loves them and wants to keep them and I never have thrown out a pony, and I don't plan on starting.
Can anyone suggest how to really deep clean them? Can they be put in the washer if I take their talk boxes out?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:58:19 PM by Psivampyr »

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: I need help washing
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
I'm unsure about removing the mechanisms of the talking plushes...they never seem to work right and children tend to freak out a little to see pinkie's guts on the kitchen table :P I've found that the Resolve carpet stain remover and a good scrub with a rough washclotch does a pretty good job. Spray the cleaner on the wet cloth and not directly onto the pony, though. Oversaturation may cause it to soak into the cotton inside and your child may have an allergic reaction to it. After the initial scub, use some clean cloths to get rid of any remaining soap from the plush. Don't soak them, just lightly damp. It may take 4 or 5 cloths to remove all the cleanser, but they smell and look wonderful when you're done! I find using white or pale cloths work best so you can see how much dirt is still coming up off the plush.
If it comes to the point of having to wash by removing the talking mechanism, try doing it when your kid is asleep. After taking out the mechnism, put the pony(ies) into individual pillowcases when you toss them in the wash. Front loader works best. Remove it after its bath to check how clean it is and repeat as needed. You may have to replace the stuffing all together depending, but you'll know how far to go as far as that's cancerned when you see inside.
After she's well washed, keep her in the pillowcase and toss her in the drier under low heat. It'll keep the plush from possibly melting or going super pilly. When you pull her out, let her sit and continue to air dry for a day or so...she may feel dry when she first comes out of the drier, but my experience is that air circulation either outside in the sun or just in the laundry room is the best way to ensure mold doesn't grow in some of the tight areas like the seams and hooves :)
Good luck, and i hope you can get your daughter's new friends can be brought back from the brink!

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:02 PM »
Thank you SeashellnBubbles, I ended up remembering Liz having one when she was a toddler. We would take the batteries out and just toss it in the washer. I put some baking soda and laundry soap in the washer and let them take a spin. They came out so clean. The soiled diaper got clean you just see tiny pin dot mold here and there. I can always cut that off and make it a new diaper if Liz doesn't like it. I am letting them air dry in the laundry room window.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
Thank you SeashellnBubbles, I ended up remembering Liz having one when she was a toddler. We would take the batteries out and just toss it in the washer. I put some baking soda and laundry soap in the washer and let them take a spin. They came out so clean. The soiled diaper got clean you just see tiny pin dot mold here and there. I can always cut that off and make it a new diaper if Liz doesn't like it. I am letting them air dry in the laundry room window.

Groovy! If you put a little rice packet in muslin or gauze into the mechanism, it'll help dry it out quite nicely :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal