collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hoping for some advice with a disappointed buyer (non-pony related)  (Read 881 times)

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Recently I started selling on eBay again and I've encountered my first problem as a seller.

In addition to ponies I also collect vintage pink pyrex. I picked up a bowl in orange on a whim at a thrift store because it seemed to sell well. I listed the bowl for $40 based on completed auctions but never made any assumptions as to what set it belonged to. A buyer messaged me and we got to chatting. She believed the bowl was a set completer for her but I assured her I didn't know what set it belonged to as I don't collect that color. Eventually she made an offer that was a lot lower than my asking price, $15 to be exact. I accepted it because she seemed nice and it was still a decent profit for me. When the bowl arrived she messaged me because it isn't the bowl she thought it was and thus doesn't complete her set. Now she's asking for a refund and I'm not sure what to do. I understand her frustration, but at the same time she made an assumption and it turned out to be wrong.

Tl;dr: is it fair to ask for a refund when your assumption about a purchase turns out to be wrong?

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
No this seems fishy.. I mean you where selling for $40 and she offered $15 way way less. She was wrong but that's on her. Not your fault beacuse you didn't know what set it came from. Even tho she is nice she commit to buy and now that's that. She could also be riping you off by asking for a refund. Who knows she could be selling it her self. I say keep your money. You shouldent feel abglated to fix her mistake. But that's just me.
:accomplished:

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
I would say this mistake rests solely on the buyer. You told her you didn't know what set the piece went with, and she bought it anyway. She took the chance that it would be wrong, and she didn't get lucky. If she didn't want to take the risk, she shouldn't have. You are not obligated to give her a refund at all.

Offline Lygeia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ebay Sales
Do your auction listings say that returns are accepted?  If they are, she can return it at her cost and you can refund the $15 to her then re-list it and get your $40 from another buyer.  Pyrex is so hot right now she got a deal!  It is going to cost her a decent amount to send it back to you; she ought to keep it to resell or trade to another Pyrex collector and save you the hassle :)
Love Birds Trinkets and Treasures on Ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/lovebirdstrinketsandtreasures :lovey:

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
Do your auction listings say that returns are accepted?  If they are, she can return it at her cost and you can refund the $15 to her then re-list it and get your $40 from another buyer.  Pyrex is so hot right now she got a deal!  It is going to cost her a decent amount to send it back to you; she ought to keep it to resell or trade to another Pyrex collector and save you the hassle :)

As an Ebay seller myself, I agree with Lygeia -- if the listing says returns are accepted, I think you should offer her a refund as long as she pays the return shipping. Then you're not losing any money and she gets back some of hers, and is still happy enough to leave positive feedback. I'm not sure, but I think buyers can return items for any reason. (I'd have to re-read the Ebay return rules . . . ) I'd decide to go with "the customer is always right" in this situation. 

If the listing says returns aren't accepted, then you could gently point that out. I believe Ebay would side with you if it came to a dispute, since your listing would in that case clearly state that there are no returns.

Hope this helps!

Offline munchy

• View Profile
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I basically told her that I'm sorry the bowl wasn't what she hoped but I can't refund her just because her assumption turned out to be wrong. Lygeia it says in my listing that I don't accept returns so I think I'm ok on that front. But I agree she should just keep it and sell it to get her money back. I'm just nervous because I'm bad at saying no/standing my ground so this is very stressful for me.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I have to agree that the fault rests on the buyer in this situation or should rest on them. She entered into the transaction knowing that the bowl may or not be the correct one. Also, in my opinion, low-balling you in the process.

Please know though, although you state no returns, she can still open a case. The Ebay Buyer Protection Plan over rides your policy, and can almost guarantee that a claim filed against you ( such as a SNAD..) and could result in the buyer getting a refund without having to return your item to you. I am not saying she will do this but the possibility is there, even though you clearly state no returns.

If I were you make sure you save all communications between the two of you. If she opens a case you will be given the chance to share those messages. EBay will not grant her a refund for changing her mind or they shouldn't anyways.     

:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
I have to agree that the fault rests on the buyer in this situation or should rest on them. She entered into the transaction knowing that the bowl may or not be the correct one. Also, in my opinion, low-balling you in the process.

Please know though, although you state no returns, she can still open a case. The Ebay Buyer Protection Plan over rides your policy, and can almost guarantee that a claim filed against you ( such as a SNAD..) and could result in the buyer getting a refund without having to return your item to you. I am not saying she will do this but the possibility is there, even though you clearly state no returns.

If I were you make sure you save all communications between the two of you. If she opens a case you will be given the chance to share those messages. EBay will not grant her a refund for changing her mind or they shouldn't anyways.     

I cant put it any better than this ^^  there's some good advice in this thread for you and I hope that the transaction still turns out ok  :hug: . PL is right - even if you state that returns are not accepted , ebay can still make you accept a return or give a refund if the buyer opens a case... but this is a bit different to the normal reasons for opening a case  and you have the messages where you tell her clearly that you dont know if its from the set she collects or not..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Lygeia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Ebay Sales
If she starts getting ugly, just politely and graciously accept the return (on her dollar for shipping) and re-list that bowl.  You'll have no trouble selling it again; we Pyrex addicts can't help it we must buy :)  You'll have the inconvenience, but you'll get this buyer out of your hair and you'll never have to deal with her again and won't have to go through an annoying ebay case process.
Love Birds Trinkets and Treasures on Ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/lovebirdstrinketsandtreasures :lovey:

Offline munchy

• View Profile
Thanks for the replies everyone. She messaged me late last night and said she's "been advised to open a dispute" but I haven't gotten any notification of a case being filed yet. I've got all our messages saved if she does open a case. Hopefully everything turns out ok! Lygeia it's so cool to see another pyrex addict around!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping for some advice with a disappointed buyer (non-pony related)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
Ugh, at this point I would simply accept the return. It may not feel right but its probably not worth the hassle and risk you could get caught up in. Buyers can go from lovely to mean pretty quickly - I guess thats what happens when money is involved.

I am not certain about the US but in the UK, we have what are called Distance Selling Regulations which means you have the right to decide to cancel/return anything you buy on line [up to 7 days after you receive the item]. You dont have to have a reason, the item does not have to be faulty; you can just decide you dont want it and under those regulations a seller has to accept it back and refund you the cost of the item and initial shipping to you [not shipping for the return of course unless the return is needed due to seller error].

If you dont have such a regulation in the US, thats a good thing as a seller although not as great as a buyer. If you dont have those rules, its a good thing you kept your last message from her which states the true reason she wishes to return something to you. Hopefully ebay will be able to see any reason she opens the dispute as false.

Good luck!

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hoping for some advice with a disappointed buyer (non-pony related)
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
How are things going, Munchy?  Just found this thread and am hoping for a happy ending :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal