collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Temporarily Living in the US - Maybe  (Read 1106 times)

Ariadna

• Trade Count: (0)
Temporarily Living in the US - Maybe
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
Hi folks!  :biggrin:

So in my endeavour to find an appropriate tertiary institution to learn the art of taxidermy, I have found that I am likely only going to be able to do so in the US. Sadly in my country it is a very rarely practiced trade, I know of less than 10 professional taxidermists in Australia and none of them have any interest in training others, mainly because that, since it is such a niche market, they can charge high amounts for their work. Therefore the more taxidermists there are, the prices get more competitive, etc. So it looks like I will likely be heading to the US next year!

I am both excited and nervous, and at this stage it is still umming and ahhing, and planning, and discussing. Oh, and saving, this is not going to be cheap :/ I am likely heading over next year to Montana, I am still debating between which school to attend, though it will very much be in Montana. The difference between the schools, is one I will be in Montana for a month, the other option is I'll be there for four months! Either way, I am super excited and keen for this. Living in another country, even for a short period, has me super duper stoked!

So, who lives in Montana? What's it like? Here comes the stereotypical tourist question (pay back for all the ones I got last time I visited the US, no there are no kangaroos in my backyard, I live in suburbia :P) will I be eaten by bears if I go outside? :P :P Or wolves, or coyotes? :P lol 
From what I have seen it is a stunningly beautiful place, it's incredibly scenic and it looks like an amazing place to live! Very envious!
I'd be super keen to meet fellow pony lovers, since I will be travelling over there alone, I'd like to meet some peoples :)

Are there any taxidermists here, or people who are or intending to study it? I know it's a tad gruesome and not everyone's cup of tea for various reasons, but it has interested me for years and years, and finally I have found a way to learn it. I would love to own and operate my own taxidermy studio one day. My biggest hurdle is where I live, Australia, the taxidermy licencing laws are rediculous and it is a small market, but can be profitable if you're good at what you do. It may end up with me moving to Canada or the US, who knows?

Lots of questions and ramblings from me again. I do tend to ramble, a lot :P Though I would love to know if there are pony members who live in Montana and to know a bit more about what it is like. I'd also love to chat with other budding taxidermists too :)

GlitterHoof

Re: Temporarily Living in the US - Maybe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
If you do make it to the US that'd be awesome :D I would love the opportunity to venture outside of my own country!

My husband's cousin is a taxidermist in Texas. I always thought that was so random! haha He also practices falconry. Not sure if that is the technical term for it...he has a falcon and it is "trained". Texas is a special part of the country ;)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 04:14:25 PM »
I live in Montana, love it! What area are you looking at? I could be more precise in telling you about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Ariadna

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
Your husband's cousin sound awesome! A trained falcon? So jealous!

So far it is a big fat maybe, because saving up for such an journey isn't going to be a walk in the park :/ But if not next year, then certainly sometime in the future, I'm not giving up!

I am a bit nervous about living overseas by myself for up to four months, but it's also exciting because it's an adventure! I would like the opportunity to travel around the US a little to do touristy type things whilst I am over there. :)

I am looking at a taxidermy school in Helena :)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
I live in Helena!  :biggrin: I moved to Helena about 4 years ago from Colorado. It is a great area. I would have a very difficult time moving from the area if I had to. I fell in love with it. It is a smaller town pop. about 30,000 with the surrounding areas added in. The cities of Butte, Bozeman, Missoula, and Great Falls are all within 1 hour to 2 hours away if you get bored in town. Helena is located between Yellowstone and Glacier. So, if you have a couple of days they are very easy to take a quick trip too. The people here are great. I work for the airline and I always here tourists complimenting the city's friendliness. You really don't have to worry about wildlife they tend to stay up away from town. If you go out in the wilderness, I would take bear spray if you are going far out. But, I have yet to hear of anything outside of the Yellowstone area. 

Ariadna

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
Thanks!
Helena sounds like an awesome place! I am even more excited to visit now! :D :D
Bear spray, I have to ask, what on earth is bear spray?  :blink: I've not heard of such a thing, I am going to hazard a guess and say it's used to ward off bears? Does it work?
My comical mind is picturing a bear sniffing the air, and picking up hints of this, bear spray, and thinking 'Oh pong! What a dreadful stench! I certainly am moving from this locale to another that is less whiffy.' LOL XD

I can imagine you're face palming at my touristy noobyness. Don't worry, I lived in one of the most popular beachy tourist destinations in Australia and people routinely confused me with an information board :/ I understand your pain, but I will still apologise because I now how taxing and annoying it is.

Gosh Helena is sounding like a beautiful place to live, I may just definitely choose the taxidermy school there! :D

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
It's pretty much pepper spray for bears. I am not aware of a taxidermy school here? What is it called?

Ariadna

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Pepper spray for bears sound like the most potent pepper spray ever o.0

Yep, the Montana School of Taxidermy and Tanning
http://montanataxidermy.net/

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:52:38 PM »
Oh ok, I have an idea where it is located. My husband actually just told me it is the best taxidermy school in the US. Are you going to rent a place or do you have another plan? If you have a car available, I would look for a place towards East Helena area. It is actually another town. It is where I actually live. Over in East Helena it is cheaper and about 15 mins away if the roads are good. And the Carroll College area may have a some cheaper places with college kids looking for roommates if you want to go that route. It also is not that far away from Green Meadow Drive maybe 5 mins if the traffic is great.

Ariadna

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »
Woah, I had no idea it was the best taxidermy school, just the one that popped up first in my search! Awesome!

So far whenever I search for accomodations, I'm not getting much in return. I wouldn't mind renting but I have no clue about the rental stuff in the US. Normally in Aus rent is on terms, such as 6 months lease or 12 months lease etc. Thanks for the info though, I will definitely check it out. I may start poking around at rentals, and it's good to know there is a college there, so perhaps college share may work. I've been in share housing before when I was at uni.  I'll certainly look into East Helena.

I almost have my licence, almost! I plan to get my licence before heading over and hiring a car whilst I'm over there. I may purchase a second hand gets-me-from-A-to-B-junkard, but it would have to be automatic, I can't drive manual :/

Thank you so much for the great info, it is super helpful and I really appreciate it! :D

Post Merge: May 19, 2014, 05:13:08 PM

This is going to be a super dumb question, but I am currently looking at rentals. When it states the price, e.g $600, is that per week or per month? I'm not familiar with US rentals and such.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:13:08 PM by Ariadna »

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »
Usually the first of the month. Here's Helena's craiglist.

http://helena.craigslist.org/apa/

You will want a car here. Let me know what you decide. If you come here, I will take out for coffee or something as a "Welcome To Montana" gift.

Ariadna

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »
Usually the first of the month. Here's Helena's craiglist.

http://helena.craigslist.org/apa/

You will want a car here. Let me know what you decide. If you come here, I will take out for coffee or something as a "Welcome To Montana" gift.

Woah, so rent is paid monthly? So $600 per month, wow that's cheap! I pay over $300 per week here in Aus, interesting to see how it differs!

Yeah I really want my licence, but I don't own a car and live near no one who can help with driving lessons, and paying for instructors on a budget can be hard :/ But I shall persevere!

Oh my gosh, that is so sweet of you OlumeVaSti! Thank you so much! I will certainly take up that offer if I do decide to study next year! :D

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Good news on only being able to drive automatic.  Almost all of our cars are automatic since most of our cars are front wheel drive and larger engines. 

I've been trying to find a spare car with a manual ( I want a Firebird! ) and it's downright impossible most of the time.

Rent is cheap in most non-huge-o-cities, so $600 sounds about right.  We pay $690 here in Florida and it's a big apartment.  1100sq/ft.  Apartments are cheaper, generally, the bigger they are.  Like a 2bedroom like I have, is $690, and a studio, which is half the room, is still like $550.  You might luck out and be able to get a good roommate, and that makes it even cheaper, especially with the addition of utilities.  The worry is the lease.  Most don't do single month, and usually the shortest time available is 6mos. 

Cars ARE expensive.  I would actually recommend something decent versus an outright junker.  Even a junk car is going to be around $1000-$1500, and it's hard to get something even remotely reliable at $3000.  I spent $7k on my current car, which has been a project car for the last two months and I only got it running yesterday after having it since March.  Who knows if I have all the bugs out of it. . . 

If you're staying only for 1-4mos, and you're not around in the winter, you may want to look into a bike or moped of the such.  Honestly, my biggest expenses are ALL car related, car payment, car insurance, and then repairs ( did not have that on my previous car, but the insurance company totaled her after getting reared ) and then gas. . .  Junkers going to be older which means they're likely going to be guzzlers due to condition and previous gen cars being pita's. 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »
Sounds like fun! Best of luck on your adventure!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »
Where the school is isn't really bike friendly, unfortunately.  And sadly, Helena lacks public transportation. There is a taxi service but they are just awful. Looks like classes are in January, you really need a car. Helena gets a lot of snow, ice, and wind in the winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal