collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (Resolved!) Strange things about my G1 Babies? Baby Sparkle Gusty and Tippytoes  (Read 393 times)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
So I was looking into some of my old G1s from my childhood and noticed some strange things. I don't have much collectors knowledge on early generations, so forgive me if my questions are silly. :yikes:

First is my Baby Sparkle Gusty. It took me a while to identify her because the date on her foot doesn't match the My Little Wiki description. Her foot clearly says 1984, but her description says she's an 89. Any idea why that would be?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see, she's just a regular Baby Sparkle Gusty (pretty good shape too ^.^). I couldn't get a good picture of her foot due to the sparkles, but it doesn't have a 4 that can be mistaken for a 9.

Next is my Baby Tippytoes. She has a strange blue gradient in her tail and the first part of her mane. Is this just a dye job done by the owner before me? The color doesn't fade with washing.

I intend to trade her once I get everything in order with the other items I have for trade, so it would be nice to be able to explain what's up with Baby Tippytoes.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:38:38 AM by aintnobuffalo »
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
As for baby sparkle gusty, it's probably one of two things - either the wiki is incorrect, or the pony was released in 89 with an 84 mould (that happens a lot with Littlest Pet Shops but I'm not certain about the older ponies). I'm not sure about the other pony, maybe it's permanent dye?

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
1984 was the year that mould was made.  1989 is the year that pony was released.  Mould year and release year are usually not the same.

As for Tippytoes, it looks like her previous owner enjoyed playing hairdresser as her hair is also cut.  Definitely a home dye job.  A shame as her hair is such a nice shade of pink still!

Offline Hope1989

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hope's My Little Pony Collection
So... About the first question:

The date on each pony's hoof states the year in which their pose (mold) was first introduced, and does not necessarily match the date the actual pony was released. For example, Sugar Sweet's hoof says '83 on it, however, she was released in 1988. This means that her pose was first introduced in 1983. However, Moondancer's hoof is marked '83 and she stands in this pose, and she was released in 1983. To be sure what year your pony is from, check this site where all the ponies are categorized by the year they first appeared in stores, not what it says on their hooves.
http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/faq_id.html#q_hooves

About the second one: I'm pretty sure it's dyed by previous owner but I have to admit it looks pretty cool :D
WTB! Sdcc 2013 Exclusives My Little Pony DJ Pon-3
Have 2 Crystal Empire Promo Packs NIP for sale! Interested in? Write me ^^
My collection: old thread 1 , old thread 2 NEW ONE:happy:
FB page
Wishlist

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Ah, I see. I didn't think about how the mold would still have the old date on the hoof. Good to know for future collecting and trading!

Looks like I'll describe her as having a dyed mane when she's traded then. Yes, its too bad, since her hair did stay so vibrantly pink. -_-

Thanks for so many good and quick answers!
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
So... About the first question:

The date on each pony's hoof states the year in which their pose (mold) was first introduced, and does not necessarily match the date the actual pony was released. For example, Sugar Sweet's hoof says '83 on it, however, she was released in 1988. This means that her pose was first introduced in 1983. However, Moondancer's hoof is marked '83 and she stands in this pose, and she was released in 1983. To be sure what year your pony is from, check this site where all the ponies are categorized by the year they first appeared in stores, not what it says on their hooves.
http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/faq_id.html#q_hooves

About the second one: I'm pretty sure it's dyed by previous owner but I have to admit it looks pretty cool :D

I think it looks neat too! Not something I'd ever do to an otherwise nice pony, but it is definitely a unique look for her.

The mold date confused me a bit when I was first collecting G1. It's kinda too bad you can't necessarily just look under a hoof to tell when a pony came out. :P Gusty looks beautiful, by the way!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
That is quite a funky hair style!

And on your mould date - you will find the majority of ponies stamped 84, 85 or 86 with some others here and there. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal