collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need help creating a ponysona for myself...  (Read 508 times)

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help creating a ponysona for myself...
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »
Hey, y'all! :)

I've been wanting to make a ponysona for myself for quite a while now (like a couple of years now), but I
don't really know where to start.  I am totally at a loss for inspiration -- no cute/pretty name, no colors, no cutie mark... I got nothin'.   It's not that I can't draw it out on paper, or customize/sculpt/rehair it, I just don't have any inspiration or even know where to begin.  The only thing I can't do is digital art... I'm more of a traditional paper and pencil/sculpting artist.   I'd eventually like to come up with a ponysona, then create it in fashion-style pony sized form.  I'd also like to (eventually) commission an artist to make a digital version as well.

For right now, I know that I want her to be a G4-style pony.  I also want her to have some feature that is recognizably "me" (hair color or style, eye color, something...) I also feel like she should be a pegasus.  (I like wings.)  Other than that, I have nothing else decided.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'm really, truly at a loss here.  I don't even know where to go looking for color combo suggestions, etc.

(PS: Dear Mods - I think this is the appropriate place to post this topic, but if it isn't, will you kindly bump it over to where it should go? Thanks!)

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
Re: Need help creating a ponysona for myself...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
I recommend starting here
http://generalzoi.deviantart.com/art/Pony-Creator-Full-Version-254295904

That was what I did. I played with it and kinda came up with Sky-pin's color scheme. From there I just got more and more detailed until I made her the pony she is today.

It may not be exactly how you want your pony but it is a great place to start.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:23 PM »
When I first came up with mine (see avatar) I just used Hub's pony generator. When I've had customs commissioned, I took the basic form of my avatar and then had people put in what my specific symbol would be (A rooster inside a sunshine) and change certain aspects, like the tattoo on the leg is usually a fish instead of a heart. But it always has served as a good reference for me, and was very simple. :) You could even leave the symbol area blank on that and then draw your specific one in yourself :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect persona sooner or later, with help from us or on your own. ^.^ There's no right or wrong way to go about designing one and everyone has different stories about how they came up with theirs. Sometimes personas evolve over time so I wouldn't be too worried about the finalized design, try out different combinations and have fun!  :)

Mine is basically just a mishmash of things I like. Usually colours are the easiest starting point for me, and I also incorporated my hair and eye colour into my pony's design. Do you have some favourite colours you could use and that perhaps would go together with your hair and/or eye colour? Or if you'd rather play with readymade colour schemes, I can totally recommend this website for inspiration: http://www.colourlovers.com/ Just look at all those delicious palettes!

Coming up with symbols (cutie marks) is what usually gives me most troubles... You could either take the G4 route and think of something that represents your talents, or just pick something you really like. If you have difficulties coming up with a symbol, maybe you can ask your family or friends to name something that they feel represents you? I guess sometimes it's easier for others to pinpoint such things. Or leave her a blank flank if you like that better, there are no rules that state your pony needs to have a symbol. ;)

Let us know how it goes! :good:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
I agree with using a pony creator to mess around with colours - thats a great way to start.

However I also like the idea of a personality sheet. You have 10 to 15 points and you list things you like - colours or hobbies or favourite things. Usually a list like that will focus down things which are important to you and from that a symbol and even colours and a name.

Cant wait to see what you come up with! :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

sunshine29102

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks, y'all! Those suggestions help!

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 01:43:23 PM »
In the very beginning I drew something that was sort of loosely based on Rainbow Dash, but a unicorn. She was sharp magenta and had red hair and like most others I used a pony creator to get an idea of what I wanted.
When it came to names... I thought of things I like and my talents, looked up synonyms and worked from there... Which turned into Blossom Eclipse. Since that time I used similar methods to make ponysonas for a lot of people and it worked because I got names like Crescent Glow, Flash Twister, Bit Play etc.
I never really work with symbols first though, I work with ideas, try to design the pony after the person even going as personal as giving it a mane that is different. When it comes to my pony, I haven't really touched her G4 version so much, but I'm thinking short curly hair with braids for her rendition. For me it's about being who you really are, if that is being colorfull and having frills, so be it. :)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal