collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponysona name - also a G1 pony - advice needed on this "clash" :)  (Read 741 times)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

it seems after all the years a ponysona has finally popped out of my head, and I was so happy about finally having a pony in mind I can relate to ponysona-wise. My happiness was short-lived though, because I realised the name is already taken by an actual G1 pony. My would-be ponysona doesn't resemble the G1 one in any way, it's just the name (which I figured out because it matches the ponysona's colour and features perfectly).
Now I'm really not sure if I should use the name, although I'd really love to. It seems to have so much relation and small nice additions in it that all relate to me, as well as to the looks of the ponysona. But still, someone else also has it. I know names are usually "owned" by not only one person, but... well, it's different. Or isn't it?

What would you do in such a case? Thank you for your opinions and suggestions in advance!  :grouphug:

(mods, if this isn't the right place to ask something like this, could you please move my topic over to the correct section?)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Ponysona name - also a G1 pony - advice needed on this "clash" :)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
I'd use it! Hasbro has already set a precedent of giving multiple ponies the same name, anyway, sometimes even within the same generation!
I'll put something here some time

Offline Violet CLM

• Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »
Add "Dazzle"

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
Add "Dazzle"

Or Lady... or Princess... :)  Most people who have pony nicknames have taken them from existing ponies, there isn't anything wrong about that! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 07:30:02 AM »
It's perfectly fine. Like they have said names get used over and over again. Like sundance G1, G2. Yum Yum TAF and Flutter. Ect.. I say shoot for it beacuse it dosent matter what others think if you are worried about being deamed a copy cat. You know your not all that's all that really matters. Plus I personally don't belive that people copy cat ponies just custom them to the way they would like to see them. I drew a picture of seaflower and touched up the symbol some.. I may change the name but it looks like the orginal but difrent it's how I see her and yes she is my OC. Regardless of being based off a original tho I know yours isent based off G1 its still the fact that It's yours. Whether the name happens to be the same no matter what people may think if people wanna be a troll about it let is be as the net is full of them. Sorry if this got off track if this was what your where worried about or not just wanted to put it out there as my opinon to all :)
:accomplished:

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:08 AM »
It would help to know the name to see what fits with it.. Maybe you could use same name but in a different language?

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
thank you for your advices, everyone!

the name would be Lavender Lace, and the pony is purple with mostly black mane and tail, and white lacey decorations on her bum, legs and head. I'm sorry, I don't have any digital art of her to actually show her, only sketches for a custom I'll be doing of her from a purple G3 fakie. to me it makes sense to call the pony Lavender Lace, actually more sense than the real G1 pony's name does, but still, she was "first".

I don't really think "Dazzle" or "Princess" would fit my ponysona (or me in relation), also, I find it important that the name alliterates (I'm just this "L" freak XD ), and so they wouldn't fit. "Lady" would, but that's even further from me  ^^;

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »
Lilacs are purple as well, and I don't think the name "Lilac Lace" has been taken, so you could name her that. :)
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Lilacs are purple as well, and I don't think the name "Lilac Lace" has been taken, so you could name her that. :)
I thought of this as well, but I particularly like the way "Lavender" sounds, unlike "Lilac" (especially the "i" in it). I also think the 3-syllable first word goes better with the word "Lace", Lilac Lace is somehow too short. oh  :huh:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »
You could always put a disclaimer in to distinguish between your pony persona and the Hasbro pony. For example if you want an adoptable you can say something like Can I get Lavender Lace my pony persona not the Hasbro pony. :)   

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline DireRabbit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39:22 PM »
Maybe try "Lady Lace" or "Lady Lavender"? I think both of those sound lovely. :)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
I don't think anyone would get your pony and Hasbro's mixed up. I didn't even know there was a pony by that name myself.  What about the species correct term Lavandula?

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
I like Victoria Lace....It sounds nice, and I've always associated Victoria with Lavender.

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
I personally like having something a little different than an actual pony name, but if you're ok with it, go with it.  You will have to disclamer your ponysona from the G1 pony, though, for clarification.

If you really love Lavender Lace, what I might do is add another 'L' work in between Lavender and Lace to make it more unique.

You could do one that's lace related.  Looking up 'lace' there's different types are areas where lace comes from, perhaps you'd like something like Lavendar Lille Lace?  Lille lace was 16th century lace made in the Netherlands. 

There's also just nice descriptive words that could be added.  Lovely, lunar, lacquer, lapis (latin word for stone) or other such word.  These could be added anywhere before, between or after Lavender Lace.  Lavender Lace Lacquer, Lunar Lavender Lace.  Ya, some aren't so great, but you get the idea.

Good luck with your ponysona, she sounds lovely.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline tiggerkitn25

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+186)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »
Lady Lavender Lace

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal