collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 had the best Spike the Dragon  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G3 had the best Spike the Dragon
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:56 PM »
I think the big difference is that G3 Spike is an adult. G1/G4 Spike is a baby so the ponies are less inclined to take him seriously. So if G3 Spike seems more mature and knowledgeable that's because... he is. He's well over a thousand years old.

Purple and green is my all-time favorite color combo so I lean towards G1/G4 Spike because of that haha. G3 Spike makes me laugh though. If I had to choose a favorite it would be G1 Spike.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »
I think Firehooves may have a point actually...

I'll admit, when I first saw G3 Spike, I found him annoying (it was my first full view of Princess Promenade, and I thought he was acting unfair) but the more I watched this movie, and knowing that he does realize his own mistake.  I actually like him now.

He wasn't really used that much, but seems to be pretty involved when he is, so he is therefore more of a character in a sense.   The other two Spike's are likable as well (though Charlie could have voiced G1 Spike better, and nobody really seems to know how to write G4 Spike anymore). This thread has surprised me by making me realize how likeable Kenbroablablawhateverwhatever really is.  :biggrin:

I think Lickety Split was mean to everyone, not just Spike.

Baby Lickety Split was a complete narcissist.
I think she was treated unfairly in the movie. She was spoiled and a show off, but a true director would know not to end the play/show cause of a mistake - you should keep going.  I liked how they made Baby Lickety Split react because it's an easy phrase to go through as a kid (many of us get that "I'm really leaving this time!" moment when we're young).

I think the big difference is that G3 Spike is an adult. G1/G4 Spike is a baby so the ponies are less inclined to take him seriously.
I don't really know how they handle it for G1, but G4 is clearly a baby in name only, and he's more of a kid than a baby (like how, to us, a kitten is always a "baby" cat, regardless of his or her actual age).  Ultimately as I said before, they don't really know how they're supposed to use him, sadly.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
It sounds like the problem some people have with G1 and G4 Spike isn't the character himself, but his role in the stories. To me, that's an entirely different issue. You can like or not like a character separate from what their purpose in a story is.

For example, a friend of mine loves Applejack and her commitment to family, but thinks the writers keep ignoring/misusing her character. The doesn't make him stop liking her though. So, it looks similar, Firehooves, when you say things like you don't like that Spike became a sidekick to the Power Ponies instead of a superhero like the others, but 1) that was the whole point of the episode and 2) since he didn't like being the sidekick either, it seems like that should support liking his character since what he wants for himself is the same as what you want for him.

Also, although I can understand having a preference between and adult character and a baby character, I admit, I don't see why being a baby dragon is an inferior character concept to being an adult dragon, which is what "best" generally suggests if you're going to include his age in the characteristics you're comparing. Personally, Spike has always been a baby/young dragon to me, and I find it so adorable that he seems to enjoy assisting and helping the ponies, so I find G3 Spike to seem like an entirely different character. But that's also just my preference; it doesn't make him better or worse, except that G3 Spike seems to be a more generic character type.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
There's a G3 Spike...?

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline amazonarabian

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 09:29:09 AM »
There's a G3 Spike...?

LOL!  I just had the same thought and had to google what he looks like!

I guess I was a G1 child that got lost for a bit before stumbling over a G4.  Now, I collect those 2 gens, but my knowledge of the in-betweenies is obviously lacking.

I got a little grumbly when I first saw new Spike (change is scary!) and poutily showed the "real" Spike to my husband, who went "Ugh!  He's hideous!  And horrible!  Give me new Spike any day!"  Oh, well.  To each their own! 

I have to say, I love them both now.  Spike AND my husband.
Thank you, brightberry, for my lovely avi.

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
Yep, there was a G3 spike. He was in the animated movies The Princess Prominade, the Runaway rainbow, and the live Pony stage show, the World's biggest tea party.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 09:52:51 AM »
I like the original series for the sentimental value, and the new series is very watchable, and even entertaining (especially the first season and a half), but I can't make it through the G3 movies at all.  Between the voices, the animation, and just how pink and sugary sweet everything is, I've only been able to sit through little bits here and there... I didn't even know G3 had a Spike.

I like the G1 toy, but I like G4 Spike the best, especially because he likes to bake =)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 12:08:24 PM »
G1 Spike is my favorite because . . .

. . . he opened the FORBIDDEN DOOR.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
I wouldn't want to go to bed early either. So go Spike!

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
and just how pink and sugary sweet everything is,

Only as much as the other MLP shows, really.  :P
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 05:13:39 PM »
I didn't even know there was a G3 Spike  :shocked:  pictures?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:53:11 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
G1 Spike from Rescue at Midnight Castle is my favorite. I will always think of him as a baby dragon.  G4 Spike is my second close fave.  I really don't mind his role but I never liked his crush on Rarity.  It's shallow both ways and I'm not sure what it's suppose to teach kids.  :brow:
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
I liked G1 Spike best, personally, because he was exactly what a baby dragon should be; kinda goofy, and clumsy, but friendly and helpful despite it all! He was a little sweetheart. :heart: I love G3 and G4 Spike too, of course, but I just have a soft spot for the chubby little Spike of my childhood. ;)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »
  G4 Spike is my second close fave.  I really don't mind his role but I never liked his crush on Rarity.  It's shallow both ways and I'm not sure what it's suppose to teach kids.  :brow:
Here's how I choose to look at it;

Before I begin, I have to point out that in the shows defence, the "Sparity" storyline was kind of an after thought, and not directly planned at first - it was created to show that Rarity was supposed to be "the attractive one", and the easiest way to do that was to have the main male character comment on that, but the rest of the FIM staff found it cute, so they convinced Lauren to keep it in.  However for something that she never intended to really go anywhere, it was definitely handled better during her run.  Still not perfect, but still better than it is now.

Ulitimately, it is a crush that in my view, and is not going to go anywhere past being a crush (though Sparity fans who want it to go further are welcome to dissagree) because in my mind, while Spike is not litterally a baby (if he was he would act like he did in Twilight's cutie mark flashback) he is still a child, and is too young for Rarity (again full on Sparity shippers are welcome to dissagree with this, and see Spike as older than child age, if they choose to), however this in no way takes away the cuteness of the crush, and more importantly the meaning of it.

Note: The following is mostly based on the assumption that I have the age difference correct, and the Spike is a young-ish child (he seems about 8 to 10 based on personal experience) and Rarity is a either in her late teens or a young adult.

I feel that Spike's crush is basically just that, a crush, and one that he has on someone who is older than he is, and therefore has no chance of ever going any further than a crush.  There is however nothing wrong with that, and it is perfectly normal; many kids have crushes on older people, such as babysitters, young-ish teachers and the like, and even people who are in closer relation to you such as a friend of their older siblings (and seeing as Twilight could very easily be seen as a sister-figure to Spike, this is most likely what they are going for).  This is something that a child can easily relate to, and something that older viewers can easily look back on, having been in this possition themselves.

I don't really see it as shallow, at least not from Rarity's perspective.  There is a chance that Spike's crush may only be based on the fact that he finds Rarity attractive, but we don't know that for sure, and if that is the case it is again easily relatable, as most of our first crushes (especially the ones we get at a very young age) are based more on attraction than actual love, but being in love is also possible at a young age, so it should not be ruled out (I know from my own childhood that is possible for a child to, at the very least, be in love with the idea of romance).

Rarity is clearly aware of Spike's crush, but has very kindly chosen not to break his heart with the truth that it will never come to anything, it's kinder at this point to let him grow up, and understand on his own.  He is not hurting anyone, and she will generously accept what he does for her because she knows it makes him happy to do so.  Because of this, they will always mean something to one another, even if it's not a romantic meaning.

I have heard some fans say that Rarity is exploiting Spike by having him do jobs for her, but did it ever occur to anyone that he may have offered to do them for her?  Think about it, not only does it make sense for Spike to want to please his crush, but it is also completely in character for him; he loves having sense of purpose and duty, his biggest fear is for Twilight to stop needing him, and there were hints to this in "Owls Well That Ends Well".  He is not only okay with doing chores for others, it actually means something to him.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 09:23:01 PM »
My favorite is g1Spike.  I think he's adorable and well-meaning.  His heart is in the right place and he tries his best.  Plus, he's a cute baby dragon.  What's not to love?  :)

I do see g4 Spike as a variation of g1 Spike.  He's a little older but he's still a kid.  I like his relationship with Twilight especially; there are times when they have a cute brother-sister vibe.  I think she's very protective of him and I think he would do anything for her.  I also don't mind his relationship with Rarity either.  It's common for a kid to have a crush and I just think a Rarity is oblivious to it.

G3 Spike sort of bored me, to be honest.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal