collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mac users, any tips?  (Read 504 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Mac users, any tips?
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:26:59 AM »
We broke down and had to get a new computer.
After a year and a half using a NEW Gateway laptop it was doing some freaky stuff. It was playing audio ads or people talking while the internet was up (no videos on the sites we were on). We'd quickly disconnect the internet and it would continue to play the freaky people talking (dude, it was almost demonic, you could't really tell what they were talking about... :lookround:). It also would run for 20 mins and then blue screen of death and shut off.  Considering how little we use our computer that was getting frustrating.

So we picked up a new Mac Desktop. I haven't used a Mac since 2003 (and that was those weird box-shaped ones).

Are there any features that are in hiding that I should know about and use regularly?
For example: I love MS paint is there the equivalent on here cuz I have no idea where it is or what it's called. I barely found the internet and I do pick up technology fast enough...

Do these require system clean up/defragmentation?

Tips and tricks are appreciated!  ;)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Mac users, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:40:29 AM »
For cleanup and maintenance I use a program called Onyx. I run it every couple of months and it does a great job of cleaning out old nonsense and temporary files and generally frees up a couple of gigs of space.

There's not a default paint like application included on macs. There is a freeware program called Paintbrush that is probably the closest equivalent to MS paint. I've never used it but I've heard good things.

As you have a desktop this will be much easier than it is for me with a laptop - set up your time machine backup! Having your computer quietly and automatically backup your whole system on a regular basis is a godsend. I figure if you have a desktop you can just always keep your external hard drive plugged in so it can actually automatically backup whenever it wants. With mine I have to take the time to find the drive and sit down and plug it in... which I never seem to bother to do, ha.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:03 AM »
Looks like NoD has you covered!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
Last I used a mac was in 08 and it was before they turned/macs were used for graphic applications mainly.

I don't have much to suggest other then the 'crazy voices' will still happen with a mac..even if you disconnect the internet.  I think its an internal thing though, like, letting you know something is going on.

It will take a bit to get used to it..just remember to back up what you are doing every 20 minutes if youre in a program.  Mac has this awful habbit of randomly shutting down without letting you know. (the amount to times my classmates and I have lost things o.@)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:30:26 AM »
I've had my Mac desktop for about 3 years (bought it new), and haven't had any issues with it.  But I may be a bit biased since I've been using Macs my whole life (our home computer when I was a kid was an Apple II, so yeah). I've never had it randomly shut down.  Although the key on the top right hand side of the keyboard will automatically put it to sleep (but it won't shut down any apps you are running).  Still, the first few times my kids came up and randomly hit the keyboard and that happened, it totally freaked me out, lol.

I mainly use Photoshop and Illustrator, so I have no idea what programs would be like MS Paint.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:28:41 PM »
"I don't have much to suggest other then the 'crazy voices' will still happen with a mac..even if you disconnect the internet.  I think its an internal thing though, like, letting you know something is going on."

I've been using Mac since 2011 and I have not had any crazy voices.

How I learned to use a Mac was by Googling a lot.  I was used to Windows and didn't even know how to cut, copy and paste on a Mac.  Google will be your best friend while learning. 

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 02:34:58 PM »
Disk Utility is your friend. If anything ever starts acting weird re verify your disk and repair permissions. 99% of the time any issue you're having will be fixed.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »
Thanks all for the tips.
I must be confusing; our Gateway laptop has crazy voices, not the new Mac. LOL.

I'm bummed out that there's no paint. I guess I'll be keeping the possessed laptop around for that... lol

Yeah I'm kinda going crazy finding that ctrl c and ctrl v and ctrl f don't work on this. lol.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Yeah I'm kinda going crazy finding that ctrl c and ctrl v and ctrl f don't work on this. lol.

Well, the commands still work, you just need to use the command button, not the control button ;)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:53 AM »
"I don't have much to suggest other then the 'crazy voices' will still happen with a mac..even if you disconnect the internet.  I think its an internal thing though, like, letting you know something is going on."

I've been using Mac since 2011 and I have not had any crazy voices.

How I learned to use a Mac was by Googling a lot.  I was used to Windows and didn't even know how to cut, copy and paste on a Mac.  Google will be your best friend while learning. 

Like I said before, I haven't touched one since 08 and it was a known thing.  Actually it sacred the pants off of me my first day of class..thought I did something wrong. 

If they got rid of the crazy internal voice thing since then, awesome, otherwise I was just explaining my own experiences..since we were on macs more then PCs during that time.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
Well, there are multiple options on macs that use speech - you can set it to read alerts outloud, for example, and there are options to read text aloud in a lot of programs. I'd guess maybe something was accidentally triggered. But I've owned macs exclusively for 10 years and used them in school before that and I never heard voices unless I wanted to XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal