collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is plasticizer leak contagious?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
Is plasticizer leak contagious?
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
I try to keep my ponies arranged by gen. My main shelf houses my g4s and g3s, and there isn't any room left. I made a small platform/ shelf for Confetti, who was my one and only g1, and who's been steadily leaking plasticizer since I got her. Alcohol wipedowns and baby powder have kept the stickiness manageable, thankfully. I got a Pony Bride shortly after, and she's on the g1 shelf as well. There's plenty of room between them (probably 3 or 4 inches), but is that enough?

I have another g1 on the way and since I like organizing by gen, I'd love to add her to the shelf with Confetti and the Bride, but will Confetti's plasticizer problems spread? And should I move her off of the shelf anyway, to keep the Bride okay (although it's probably too late at this point)? I'm not sure how "contagious" various pony problems are, to be honest, so any help would be appreciated!
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Is plasticizer leak contagious?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Plasticizer leak is caused by the chemical compounds in each individual pony, not by them being in contact with each other. If they're touching each other, some of the plasticizer can ooze onto the next pony, causing staining, but it isn't like a fungus or bacteria that will cause that next pony to start leaking. Keeping some distance between them to keep them from touching is a good idea, but an inch is fine. Poor Confetti doesn't need to be ostracized all by her lonesome :)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
Yes actually, but only in closed spaces. It can cause a chain reaction and kick start leaking on surrounding objects. However, if you have room for the pony to "breathe" you should be fine. Never ever keep something with leakage in a plastic bag or bin with other non-leaky things. As long as the room is ventilated you're alright :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:34 PM »
Plasticizer leak is caused by the chemical compounds in each individual pony, not by them being in contact with each other. If they're touching each other, some of the plasticizer can ooze onto the next pony, causing staining, but it isn't like a fungus or bacteria that will cause that next pony to start leaking. Keeping some distance between them to keep them from touching is a good idea, but an inch is fine. Poor Confetti doesn't need to be ostracized all by her lonesome :)
Thank you! And I have to admit, the thought of totally quarantining her was making me feel a little guilty. I keep telling myself "plastic ponies don't really socialize" but every time I went to move her...

Can't let them get lonely!  :redface:

Yes actually, but only in closed spaces. It can cause a chain reaction and kick start leaking on surrounding objects. However, if you have room for the pony to "breathe" you should be fine. Never ever keep something with leakage in a plastic bag or bin with other non-leaky things. As long as the room is ventilated you're alright :)
Good to know for the future, thanks! My room has decent airflow, so I think she should be okay, then. I'll just be careful when I eventually have to pack them all up.
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:52 AM »

I remember your science re pony mold. I'm going with your answer :) This is what I thought actually but it's good to get confirmation :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:37:43 AM »
No its not contagious. I would never press a pony with it up against one another for display or for storage - mainly because the plasticiser can cause staining. Each bit of plastic is integral to itself and will react differently. If it was caused by an external influence such as bacteria then yes it could easily spread from pony to pony because the outside influence can move.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal