collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Estate sale snags  (Read 1135 times)

Offline secretsheik

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Estate sale snags
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:51:56 PM »
Here are some ponies that I just found at an estate sale, all G1:
Surprise (flocked)
Clipper (apparently a mail-order!)
Wind Whistler (flocked)
Sunbeam
Wind Drifter (funny looking to me, never saw these floaty ones)
Masquerade (twinkle eye, surprisingly clean)
A baby pony that has the same cutie mark as baby mischief, but her body is full of sparkles and semi transparent
Banana Surprise
Shady (flocked, though some is missing)
Whizzer (really dirty)
Sea breeze sea pony with lobster float
Baby North Star
Powder

Alright now for the fun part.... the mystery ponies/creatures. There is the sparkle baby here, and the pink pouncing pony with little boots on its flank. There are also a couple bird things that oddly enough are Hasbro toys, never saw them before. The cat creature is a Mattel toy and I think I have a couple others much like it, can't remember what they are though. Last but not least, which of these ponies should I have no qualms deflocking? I like flocking, but it gets incredibly filthy and some of these look to be badly stained. Which of these should I have no qualms about customizing or refurbishing? Some I would love to rehair or alter, but I'll leave them as they are if they are valuable or collectible.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
Re: Estate sale snags
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
The birds are Fairy Tales birds and the pink pony with the boots is Tappy, the sparkle one is I believe is Baby Firefly, but I could be wrong.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:28:28 PM »
Nice finds! Yep, the sparkle baby pony is (sparkle) Baby Firefly. The pink Mattel toy is a Little Pretty puppy, Melody. They were manufactured as rivals to My Little Ponies in the late '80s, early '90s. You mentioned that you have some others; do you have any kittens? If you're selling, I might be interested in buying. :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Honestly the only one you have that's dirt common is Sunbeam. The rest aren't very difficult to find but IMO since they're G1s, they really don't need to be rehaired/customized unless they are truly in bait condition (or have awful/no hair). You can attempt to clean the So Soft ponies if they don't have a ton of flocking rubbed off (if they do then, by all means, deflock them- they'll actually look better).
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline secretsheik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:17:20 AM »
Nice finds! Yep, the sparkle baby pony is (sparkle) Baby Firefly. The pink Mattel toy is a Little Pretty puppy, Melody. They were manufactured as rivals to My Little Ponies in the late '80s, early '90s. You mentioned that you have some others; do you have any kittens? If you're selling, I might be interested in buying. :)

I do have a pink kitten and purple kitten, both were ones that I had as a kid so it was cool to see another like it at the sale. I won't be selling either of them, but one is getting a hair makeover so she can join my little collection. :) Thanks for the identification, I'll post pics of all of them tomorrow to show quality and see if any of them need a bit of saving.

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:28:22 AM »
Wooow, that's a sweet lot. Never actually thought of checking estate sales for Ponies!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 07:31:49 AM »
I am with PinkRosedust; unless they are in poor condition I would not be baiting or rehairing them. It kind of comes down to general condition for me. If your pony has a bad hair cut and needs rehaired then alternate rehair would be cool. If she is all over flocking loss then deflock.

However they are your ponies so as long as you know none of them are particularly common and you restore or alter them understanding that, then should do whatever makes you happy. Although you could consider trading them to someone for actual baity ponies in return :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline secretsheik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
Actually I was very very surprised by how remarkably pristine some of these were, like near-mint condition. These were all clearly played with by someone's grandchild or something but it must have been one of those "Now don't cut off the hair, it won't grow back!" supervised visits lol. Wind Drifter and Banana Surprise are the only ones I would seriously consider rehairing, if only because their hair was so horrendously tangled that afterward all I could tame out of it was a giant poof of hair everywhere. Alright so here is the one I consider deflocking:

Her flocking feels a little stubbly to the touch, like little bumps rather than a full fleecy feel. I compared how she felt to Surprise, who is the most intact flocked one. I can definitely tell that this one feels very different. Here are the pair I want to consider rehairing:

Frizz and more frizz! Here are the others just for fun! Most of them need a bath/soaking in Dawn because some are strangely oily, but otherwise they are perfect!

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »

I do have a pink kitten and purple kitten, both were ones that I had as a kid so it was cool to see another like it at the sale. I won't be selling either of them, but one is getting a hair makeover so she can join my little collection. :) Thanks for the identification, I'll post pics of all of them tomorrow to show quality and see if any of them need a bit of saving.

Yay, start a collection! I had Little Pretties as a kid and have a little collection myself. :)

Post Merge: April 13, 2014, 11:02:15 AM

Hmm . . .  I think Shady looks pretty good overall. She's not missing major chunks, at least (besides the hooves, which is pretty common). And her beautiful hair helps her look nice. I wouldn't deflock her, but you could, since she's not super rare.

I'm actually kind of jealous of your Wind Drifter, because it looks like she has original curls. (Mine has the weirdest hair -- it's like . . . spongy). I guess it's frizzy and stuff? Maybe a good conditioning would help? Banana Surprise does look like her hair is worse, and maybe she has had a tail cut, but maybe conditioner would help her, too?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:02:15 AM by Haruna »

Offline ponybanker

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
congrats

Offline secretsheik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 11:35:55 AM »
Hmm . . .  I think Shady looks pretty good overall. She's not missing major chunks, at least (besides the hooves, which is pretty common). And her beautiful hair helps her look nice. I wouldn't deflock her, but you could, since she's not super rare.

I'm actually kind of jealous of your Wind Drifter, because it looks like she has original curls. (Mine has the weirdest hair -- it's like . . . spongy). I guess it's frizzy and stuff? Maybe a good conditioning would help? Banana Surprise does look like her hair is worse, and maybe she has had a tail cut, but maybe conditioner would help her, too?

Yeah I just don't like the feel of the flocking on Shady, but as a display pony she isn't too unsightly. Wind Whistler is by far the one in the best condition, her hair is super soft and easy to comb and she's only in need of a bath. Time to get out the Dawn and a toothbrush. There were a couple fakies in here too and one of them just... I don't even... it is like... covered in oily stuff. Like literally covered. It's a tan-white fakie covered in brownish oil. Of course this means it got all over a couple ponies, but tried the Dawn on Whizzer and it seemed to work, though it still left a gross brown stain.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 12:21:59 PM »
They really don't look like they need re-hairing, they just need conditioning and styling.  It's easy to put the curls back in.  Why jump to such drastic conclusions about your nice condition ponies?  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
I definitely don't think those girls need re-hairing. Even if you can't get all the frizz out with conditioner, I'd be hesitant to re-hair when they're in otherwise such lovely condition. :)

I am totally in awe of all of your beautiful Ponies! What a wonderful lot!

Offline secretsheik

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 09:23:58 PM »
I guess I just need some tips then on how to deal with their hair and make it pretty again. I have the patience to clean them, might as well go all out.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:30:04 AM »
Shady's flocking loss is pretty major in my opinion. All that stubbliness is caused by missing flocking and whats remaining forming into tight little balls. :/ She is not worth much in that condition at all so I would not worry if you consider deflocking her. The others all look pretty awesome however :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal