collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone here a vegan/vegetarian?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
Is anyone here a vegan/vegetarian?
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:32 AM »
I'm a vegan and as of yet I've never met another pony collector/brony who is as well. I was wondering if I really was the only one or if any of you guys are too?  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Is anyone here a vegan/vegetarian?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
LOL You've met them on here you just didn't know it! A good lot of our members are and I'm sure they'll be here shortly.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Tulip

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
I've been veggie since 14. I'm 21 now and I'm kinda glad I still am,  I'd be petrified of giving myself food poisoning or something from under cooking meat D:

I do eat fish though. So, pescatarian, I'd say. I've only stayed with this because I've realised I just.. don't really like the taste and feel of meat.
Back after a 6+ year hiatus!

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
I've been vegetarian for twelve years. I just love animals too much to eat them. I hate bugs though and don't feel bad disposing of them when they end up in my apartment :lol: If you ever want to talk recipes, drop me a PM ;) I probably have a few ones that are vegan.

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:49:38 AM »
Cool! I used to be a vegetarian, in fact I've been one my whole life. I became vegan about half a year ago when I learnt about the dairy/egg industry and how they work and it made me so sad  :( Recipes are cool! If you have any vegan ones or vegetarian ones with replaceable ingredients then let me know  ^.^

Offline melodys_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
Id love to go on a 'mostly veg/legume/soy' thing but unfortunately I have extreme sensativities/intolerances to the effects most have..particularly dark green anything..even onion and garlic.
..actually, aside from chicken/turkey (the only sources of protein that wont kill my stomach), I guess I pretty much am xD

Its an interesting way to go though--especially if you are doing it for non-dietary purposes.  Just make sure you get enough protein in through nuts or soy <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
I'm a vegetarian, going on 16 years :)  I also hold a Bachelor's in animal science and have seen the inner workings of a lot of animal production systems and can assure you that a good part of the dairy industry really isn't abusive or bad (especially now that they have the technology to actually select whether or not a calf is born male or female), but there is nothing right about commercial egg production.  I'm lucky that I have my own small flock of hens that I get to play with and pamper :)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
I can imagine the dairy industry is better than it used to be, I just personally disagree with taking the milk at all. Seems pretty unnatural to me. I probably wouldn't have an issue with eggs if the chickens were treated right and weren't killed in hatcheries/slaughterhouses, but all the time they are I won't buy them. I'd like to rescue some chickens one day, as well as various other animals if I can. I adore cows, I'd love to maybe have a cow sanctuary... but hey I'm only 18 and still in college so no cow sanctuaries for a while xD

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
I'm also a vegetarian - have only been a full-time one for 4 years, but I am happy I made this decision, and totally enjoy it. I always loved vegetables and dairy products the most, and everytime I ate or prepared food alone and just for myself I chose something from these, but I have a family who I swear could live their lives eating nothing but meat (also, with very conservative eating habits - and also note that Hungarian cuisine is very meat-based), so until I completely moved out from them I didn't really have the chance to go completely vegetarian. when I went to university my eating habits widened and I realised other nations' cuisins have the most delicious vegetarian food and stuff you can eat instead of meat, and I started to eat more of these and less of the usual food I was offered at home. however, going completely vegetarian only happened when I moved out and in with my husband (who is luckily also one, so I don't have to stress over trying to prepare and cook meat to him).
many people ask me if I get sick because of it, but I didn't notice anything related. in fact, the doctors are usually pretty surprised on how my blood tests don't show neither anything bad, nor even a change in my eating habits - but then again, I didn't just abandon meat (I know many people do this, especially here with such a meat-based cuisine, and that is indeed dangerous), but started to eat other things in a huge variety instead, so my vitamins and stuff are doing fine*

*(apart from D3, which I have to take in pills, but that's more due to me running away from the sun, and always wearing suncsreen when out - even in civil, even for the way from home to work)

besides my taste of liking meat-free products more in general, I have also decided to go vegetarian because of my love for animals. I always had fish, and always felt uncomfortable eating them, and so fish was the first meat I cut off completely (at the age of around 16. so that has been almost 14 years ago. I have never even tried sea animals. I always thought they are not made for, and also too cute to eat). the rest came later.

however, I am sure I wouldn't be able to go vegan. I could live merely on dairy products, so a life without them sounds non-doable to me. if you want to kill me, make me lactose intolerant, lol :P

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
I try to. I only cook veggie stuff at home,  but when we visit the in-laws, I have to eat meat. we're lacto-ovo at home :>

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
Nope, I'm you're usual omnivore. I think it's cool for people who enjoy and are able to live the lifestyle, but it's not for me.  I have no problem with it because meat is just part my diet and day to day life, and in recent years, I've been learning how to hunt. So far only birds, but this year I'd like to shoot a rabbit, and dad wants to get a moose.

I've been veggie since 14. I'm 21 now and I'm kinda glad I still am,  I'd be petrified of giving myself food poisoning or something from under cooking meat D:

I do eat fish though. So, pescatarian, I'd say. I've only stayed with this because I've realised I just.. don't really like the taste and feel of meat.

It's just as easy to under cook fish as it is meat though. In many cases, more so. I'm the opposite of you, I really don't like to eat fish.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
I am a vego!  And I have been since I was 8.  That's 27 years ago O_o

Man, I'm getting old...

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
I've been a vegetarian (lacto-ovo, need cheese to live) for 13 years... I'm no so very strict as others may be. I literally haven't had any beef product for the entire time. I do enjoy sea food on the rare occasion it's presented...
My reasoning, Dad was a butcher, need I say more?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline melodys_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »
Is there a term for someone that refuses to eat anything that comes from the sea?  I got seriously sick when I was 5 off of seafood and now the thought..visuals..even smell puts me off to a point where I wont touch anything with a 100 foot pole.

That said, please be careful what you post about...specifically the 'choice/industry' part of it.  The last thing we need is for this to turn into a sensative debate <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
Not quite. Though we have cut down our meat consumption to almost nothing, mainly for ecological reasons (reducing our carbon footprint) we do have (free range) meat about 1 or 2 times per month.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal