collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: USPS issues---small packages  (Read 1020 times)

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
USPS issues---small packages
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
I have a question to ask:
I make rooting needles and kits (BarbedDragon) and I have stopped selling these for 2 reasons. One---I am too busy at work to make them right now. Two---The post office has LOST 17 of my packages this year ALONE. SEVENTEEN. I have even had one STOLEN AT THE POST OFFICE.

I would like to continue to sell them, but I am tired of being out of pocket. I am tired of being the "responsible party" when the service I pay for seems to just want to be paid to lose my packages. My packages are 1oz.-9oz it's not cost effective for the buyer to go to one of the big box stores.

Do you think people would pay for insurance? Do you think that would even help?

What do you think? Any suggestions would be great.
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: USPS issues---small packages
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
WOW 17?!?!  It sounds like your post office has a serious problem!  Are you printing through paypal? (That multi-order shipping thing)  - it comes with free tracking (you probably already know that, sorry)

I wonder if what is happening is that the package goes through the scanner- it picks up metal/sharp object- gets tossed into the "further investigation" bin- and then ... lost?   Of course I am speculating.

I wonder if shipping in one of those small flat rate priority mail boxes would be better?  They are clearly marked, large enough not to get lost-   and I seem to have better luck with priority overall.  I've actually never had a thing go missing when sent by priority.

I guess I don't have any very good suggestions though-  so sorry to hear about your bad luck! *HUGZ*

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
I would certainly be filing a lot of complaints with the Postmaster General for your post office! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:49:48 PM »
I think Galactica may be on to something. 17 seems like a heck of a lot; is it possible they are getting stopped because of the content for some reason? I remember someone having that happen once with a hair package I think - they had no issues with it in the past but for some reason on one occasion it was stopped by UK customs. Turned out it was the only time she had purchased a rerooting tools without hair also in the parcel so it was stopped because it looked like a weapon :P

I would be tempted to get to the bottom of the problem first.  But in the meantime I would insist your buyers pay insurance. If they dont want it, it has to be at their risk rather than yours. But that can be tricky to enforce. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline BarbedDragon

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
I agree it may be a sensor thing. I use Paypal labels pretty exclusively. It just seems excessive. But I do ship 2-5 tools a day so I do ship a LOT of packages :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »
Oooh. Yes perhaps with that volume going out the odd missing parcel is to be expected. However, although parcels go missing this still seems like a crazy amount. I once worked for a small but busy web based retailer we sent out 120+ parcels per day and actual missing parcels were few and far between even using a combination of couriers and royal mail and going national and international. Proper missing, never to be seen again post, is not really all that common.

How much would insurance add on to your shipping?
Loa is my love god!

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
I trust UPS way more than USPS. I've never had anything get broken or go missing in all the years I've dealt with UPS. They're usually much faster too.

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Insurance starts at $ 2.10, but I'm not sure how much that covers up to. Since you're using PayPal, you are getting tracking included. If the buyer doesn't want to pay for insurance, they're the ones that are out for the missing package since you can prove it was sent and the package can be traced. Ebay and PayPal would both back the seller, in my opinion. Under never had anything that I've shipped get lost, but I've been on the buyer's side. It sucks, but that's the risk when you don't get insurance.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:27 AM »

I would be tempted to get to the bottom of the problem first.  But in the meantime I would insist your buyers pay insurance. If they dont want it, it has to be at their risk rather than yours. But that can be tricky to enforce. 

This is what i think too ^^ :nod:  thats a heck of a lot of missing parcels from one place. Its true that weapons are restricted and the tools could be stopped in customs if they think they are weapons.. but TBH I had a re-rooting tool sent to me from the US on its own with no problem... I dunno.. that many packages sounds more like a dodgy PO to me :(  I would send in a box with insurance. If you are shipping international it will say on the customs form that its a re-rooting tool... perhaps if its possible to sell them with some hair it might also help if its a customs issue?

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline BarbedDragon

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:23:59 AM »
As it is no one, wants to pay more than they have to. With international shipping through the roof I get people that argue with me over actual shipping cost.

And now I have another lost international package. Almost 100 bucks in trade items and shipping I spent.

All the packages get stuck at Miami port. Or they don't make it after they leave. This was a really large package too. I'm so fed up with it. Now I'm going to have to refund someone a ton of money because USPS lost it. I'm about done with international.  It's almost always those that get lost and of course are the most costly to replace!!!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »
That really sucks :(

Do you think it will affect the quantities you sell if you introduce a tracking only option? Although with paypal you would never be able to hold someone to it, if I was you I would tell people they have to pay tracking/insurance or its shipped without insurance its at their [your buyers] risk. I know you are going to get people who dont want to pay extra, but at this point it seems to be costing you far too much money not to do something. :(

I know sometimes when I purchase things on the Arena, if a seller gives me 2 options - one with insurance & tracking [expensive] and one without [cheaper], and if I decide to take the latter I always state in a pm to them that loss is my risk to take. That is of course more a gentleman's agreement than anything you could hold your buyer to on paypal, but in a community like this I know its something I, and I am sure others, would respect. 
Loa is my love god!

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
I would sue...I mean seriously it's been their whole fault the whole time and you paid for their mistakes:/
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal