collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Making Pony Molds?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Making Pony Molds?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »
As far as I know once the G4 molds based on existing G4s wear out Tiella is retiring them in favor of her own custom sculpts. Then the only ones she will be doing that are cast from actual ponies will be the earlier gen ones and with earlier gens better to do that than take a vintage pony off the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

In regards to using an older or vintage mold, their is no proof that Hasbro lost the patents or copyrights to them so they could still be protected by their copyright.  Again the best route is to make your own original sculpture to cast. 

In regards to making clear items, several companies actually make wonderful material to cast in that is clear.  If you want something cheap to play with though you can try clear silicone.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
As far as I know once the G4 molds based on existing G4s wear out Tiella is retiring them in favor of her own custom sculpts. Then the only ones she will be doing that are cast from actual ponies will be the earlier gen ones and with earlier gens better to do that than take a vintage pony off the market.

In regards to using an older or vintage mold, their is no proof that Hasbro lost the patents or copyrights to them so they could still be protected by their copyright.  Again the best route is to make your own original sculpture to cast. 

In regards to making clear items, several companies actually make wonderful material to cast in that is clear.  If you want something cheap to play with though you can try clear silicone.

But is it better to use a good condition vintage pony because you can't find a bait with the pose you need? An original sculpt will still not look like a real vintage pony. And if it does than it probably breaks copyright anyways. It's not like Hasbro goes after the fakie makers that use G3 molds which I think they would go after first. While they have every right to go after people who use no longer produced ponies I doubt they will since it doesn't hurt sales and would create bad will with the fanbase.

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 01:41:03 AM »
The only think I know is I want one of those clear resin ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 07:45:55 AM »

But is it better to use a good condition vintage pony because you can't find a bait with the pose you need? An original sculpt will still not look like a real vintage pony. And if it does than it probably breaks copyright anyways. It's not like Hasbro goes after the fakie makers that use G3 molds which I think they would go after first. While they have every right to go after people who use no longer produced ponies I doubt they will since it doesn't hurt sales and would create bad will with the fanbase.

Your missing the point, even if out of production and just because we do not see if Hasbro goes after fakie producers we do not know if they do or not.  Either way you are casting someone else's hard work with out compensation (or permission) and with that item carrying a copy right. 

In regards to getting it right, trust me, some of us artists are good enough to make em look just like the real thing.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »
The only think I know is I want one of those clear resin ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck.

Resin ponies are the CUTEST!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 05:39:06 PM »

Your missing the point, even if out of production and just because we do not see if Hasbro goes after fakie producers we do not know if they do or not.  Either way you are casting someone else's hard work with out compensation (or permission) and with that item carrying a copy right. 

In regards to getting it right, trust me, some of us artists are good enough to make em look just like the real thing.

Oh I have no doubt some artists can get them looking exact. It's just if they look that exact wouldn't it break copyright just as much as a pony made from a cast? Anyways I'm all for people casting hard to find vintage stuff that I would never be able to afford the original (if I could even find it in mint condition). Like the Lil Litters kittens for example.  *hint hint*

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 05:50:34 PM »

Oh I have no doubt some artists can get them looking exact. It's just if they look that exact wouldn't it break copyright just as much as a pony made from a cast? Anyways I'm all for people casting hard to find vintage stuff that I would never be able to afford the original (if I could even find it in mint condition). Like the Lil Litters kittens for example.  *hint hint*

True- both would be considered derivative. 

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
I'm playing with mold making myself with other casting materials... when I get a fully successful case I'll post it up XD Right now the cast I have was a working cast but it still failed
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal