collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Making Pony Molds?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Making Pony Molds?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »
Now making your own stuff, wings, tails, etc would ROCK! Can you imagine ice wingsor  translucent mermaid fins?!

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
HECK YES. You can even put little LEDs in them as the epoxy solidifies (Or just make them hollow, whichever) and hide a switch in the body of the pony. I got the idea from a sculptor that made Luna glow in the dark. It was gorgeous. I wanted one. Then I decided I'd just make on myself someday~

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »
Even though it's expensive and difficult, I've considered making pony mane/tail molds (mostly for Celestia and Luna). But I think I'd only make them for myself... I'm more interested in making molds for replacement parts for the older gen ponies. (like the charms that go missing and the three dimensional cutie marks that fall off).

But then I would make my own mermaid tail if I had the money, so I obviously don't care about difficulty. 

Anyway: If you have the money, time and patience and are only doing it for your benefit (like, not selling them) it sound like tons of fun!  :lol:

I actually JUST tried JUST this-  I tried making molds of the "color me pony" mane and tail for the Luna pony-  so that she could have badass clear mane and tail!  I followed the instructions SO CAREFULLY for making a lego mold-  but despite spraying liberally with "mold spray" - the two halves stuck and are now permanent. :(  My artsy friend said that she used to pour wax between the two halves.  Whatever- I've given up.  But I know SOME people have managed a clear mane and tail- check out THIS Luna! http://groovebird.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Luna-373211578

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 04:44:28 PM »
I think with the level of talent many of our customizers have they should make what we in the model horse hobby call an original sculpture and use those to make their casting.  I know if someone did that and made some of those cool translucent I would be first in line to get one. 

Heck if I had the free time to do it I would love to make some OS's of my favorite G3 poses from the back card art and see about getting them cast to sell.  But sadly my real life right now does not allow it.  Sigh.

But as for making molds from existing currently copy righted items nope, a no go for me personally and yes those companies whose molds you use do have a right to go after you if they so chose.  Will they?  Most likely not, but who here has the money to defend oneself if they do?  Something to think about. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »

I actually JUST tried JUST this-  I tried making molds of the "color me pony" mane and tail for the Luna pony-  so that she could have badass clear mane and tail!  I followed the instructions SO CAREFULLY for making a lego mold-  but despite spraying liberally with "mold spray" - the two halves stuck and are now permanent. :(  My artsy friend said that she used to pour wax between the two halves.  Whatever- I've given up.  But I know SOME people have managed a clear mane and tail- check out THIS Luna! http://groovebird.deviantart.com/art/Princess-Luna-373211578
I love that artist! He also does the one that has a light up horn. Yeah, I can see lego molds being hard to work with silicone... I think it will be fun to play with once I have the financial ability.

Ariadna

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I did not mean to open a can of worms about this :(

I've just seen others molds, the ones I;ve seen I believe were made for private purposes? I don't recall. If it's infringing on law I certainly wouldn't do it, I thought i may have been, but was still interested to know the process. I find it fascinating!

Offline Starie

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »
Even though it's expensive and difficult, I've considered making pony mane/tail molds (mostly for Celestia and Luna). But I think I'd only make them for myself... I'm more interested in making molds for replacement parts for the older gen ponies. (like the charms that go missing and the three dimensional cutie marks that fall off).

But then I would make my own mermaid tail if I had the money, so I obviously don't care about difficulty. 

Anyway: If you have the money, time and patience and are only doing it for your benefit (like, not selling them) it sound like tons of fun!  :lol:

You know you can cut one part silicone holds! It works out just as well if not better, less seam lines. :) just be careful to follow your sprue with asharp x-acto knife/ surgeon knife gently cutting away a little at a time    until you hit your object (hopefully straight down the middle) and keep cutting around that until you can comfortably take it out. All hope is not lost! I feel like I should sketch something quick out to show you what I mean cuz I know that explanations a little confusing without visuals

Post Merge: April 10, 2014, 10:37:42 PM

Also as a side note if its your first time casting resin and/ or casting silicone moulds I would really test it out first. It can be finicky stuff if not used correctly. Is it impossible? Heck no! And once you get the hang of it there are countless possibilities. There's just a slight learning curve to the material, and screw ups can get expensive due to the high cost of the material. If the resin isn't mixed precisely between the two parts it won't cure properly, same with the silicone, also bubbles in silicone are somewhat hard to combat if you don't have a vacuum chamber, but that isn't /too/ much of a concern.

I think that starting out with a pony as your first piece would just be a little ambitious. I would read tutorials, they're super helpful to understanding the process and they really helped me out when I began casting in resin and making silicone moulds :)

Oh and to answer your hollow question, that CAN be done it would just have to be a rotational cast (In which the mould is rotated and the excess poured out leaving a hollow piece) but unless you have quick drying resin (e.g. urethane resin) or a rotational machine you'd have to hand rotate that until it sets up and that's continuous rotation for at least half an hour to an hour.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:46:12 PM by Starie »

PrincessGlitterBloom

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I did not mean to open a can of worms about this :(

I've just seen others molds, the ones I;ve seen I believe were made for private purposes? I don't recall. If it's infringing on law I certainly wouldn't do it, I thought i may have been, but was still interested to know the process. I find it fascinating!

It's not infringing to my knowledge so long as you aren't making money off it.

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 08:28:33 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to use something like Mod Podge or polyurethane floor sealer instead of resin as a cheap alternative.  XD I did actually buy some resin once, but that was a couple years ago. It's probably no good anymore.

Personally I think you should go for it if you really want to! If it's just for personal use I don't think there would be a problem. Even if you do decide to make money off it, it's HIGHLY unlikely Hasbro would come after you. Tiella's been making amazing resin ponies for a while now with no trouble. And I think the worst they would do is a Cease-and-Desist, which isn't that bad in the big scheme of things.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »

It's not infringing to my knowledge so long as you aren't making money off it.

Well- that's not actually true- but I'll save the unwanted attorney-opinions for now  :biggrin: - if someone is curious or has problems, they can feel free to contact me as I'm happy to dish out legal advice when it means I can avoid working on the stuff I SHOULD be focusing on, lol

You know you can cut one part silicone holds! It works out just as well if not better, less seam lines. :) just be careful to follow your sprue with asharp x-acto knife/ surgeon knife gently cutting away a little at a time    until you hit your object (hopefully straight down the middle) and keep cutting around that until you can comfortably take it out. All hope is not lost! I feel like I should sketch something quick out to show you what I mean cuz I know that explanations a little confusing without visuals

Post Merge: April 10, 2014, 10:37:42 PM

Also as a side note if its your first time casting resin and/ or casting silicone moulds I would really test it out first. It can be finicky stuff if not used correctly. Is it impossible? Heck no! And once you get the hang of it there are countless possibilities. There's just a slight learning curve to the material, and screw ups can get expensive due to the high cost of the material. If the resin isn't mixed precisely between the two parts it won't cure properly, same with the silicone, also bubbles in silicone are somewhat hard to combat if you don't have a vacuum chamber, but that isn't /too/ much of a concern.

I think that starting out with a pony as your first piece would just be a little ambitious. I would read tutorials, they're super helpful to understanding the process and they really helped me out when I began casting in resin and making silicone moulds :)

Oh and to answer your hollow question, that CAN be done it would just have to be a rotational cast (In which the mould is rotated and the excess poured out leaving a hollow piece) but unless you have quick drying resin (e.g. urethane resin) or a rotational machine you'd have to hand rotate that until it sets up and that's continuous rotation for at least half an hour to an hour.

Yeah-  it's a little shameful but I've read all the tutorials and I really just seem to be super horrible at it or have bad luck or something.  It doesn't help that I'm in Seattle and it takes forever for something to dry.   I actually think I'm going to try and take a class somewhere so someone can show me in person.  I actually wasn't starting with a full on pony- just the plastic tail that I forcibly removed from the color-me-Luna. 

It would be much better if someone stole my idea and then just sold me the resin mane and tail for me to add back to my pony :D  (Of course then I'd have to bug Hannaliten to paint the eyes rignt...) Lol

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to use something like Mod Podge or polyurethane floor sealer instead of resin as a cheap alternative.  XD I did actually buy some resin once, but that was a couple years ago. It's probably no good anymore.

Personally I think you should go for it if you really want to! If it's just for personal use I don't think there would be a problem. Even if you do decide to make money off it, it's HIGHLY unlikely Hasbro would come after you. Tiella's been making amazing resin ponies for a while now with no trouble. And I think the worst they would do is a Cease-and-Desist, which isn't that bad in the big scheme of things.
Just because they have not does not mean they will not.  Plus again with the creative talents out there, and with ponies being fairly simple forms there is no reason to copy someone when you can create your own and not worry about it. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
Galactica, I'll make you a mold AND paint the eyes right. I just need to find the time to do it :p

Offline Starie

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
I have no idea whats going on with my post format so bear with me x) :

Nooooo Mod Podge and floor sealer won't work! D: Well I mean maybe to the floor sealer but that's a lot of experimentation! The Mod Podge definitely won't work, it'll never cure and if it does I have a feeling it would be rather flimsy and a weird texture. I think it's better to stick with good ol' resin just cuz its reliable  and there's a lot of resources around to help with first-time casters.

I'm not so sure there really is a cheaper alternative (or else I would be using it haha!) I think resin is one of those materials that you don't really want to skimp on :)

Galactica- Haha sorry if my post confused you, the later part was meant for the original poster ^_^ But classes are really really helpful! That and tutorials is where I learned how to mould make. After you know what you're doing you'll find that it really isn't all that hard. Good luck! :D

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:44:48 PM by Starie »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Galactica, I'll make you a mold AND paint the eyes right. I just need to find the time to do it :p
:ohyeah:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
As far as I know once the G4 molds based on existing G4s wear out Tiella is retiring them in favor of her own custom sculpts. Then the only ones she will be doing that are cast from actual ponies will be the earlier gen ones and with earlier gens better to do that than take a vintage pony off the market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal