collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Orca watching on vancouver? any advices please!  (Read 391 times)

Offline yaizel

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chikapaw.livejournal.com/
Orca watching on vancouver? any advices please!
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
I hope i can get some help!

So i been really interested on it for several years now
but I would like to know if anu one out there has any experiences on this matter or has any info about it.
like where to go, where not to go, when with whom and what nots
i been researching myslef all over the web and found some information but would like to hear things from people and not from web adds

or if you can point me out to where to find more info about the matter please let me know!
any info will be highly appreciated!
the better pic of all artist is in the heart

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Orca watching on vancouver? any advices please!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »
It's been a long time since I've been, but it was amazing. We didn't have any come extremely close or anything. My hubby and I went during July. I'm very glad I had warm clothing, because it was freezing on the boat! That's probably the best advice I can give. Be prepared for how cold the ride will be. I don't remember the trip being cold otherwise. Although we did keep our windows down overnight in the hotel and it got quite chilly. Have fun!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30:58 AM »
I did this when I was in Seattle once :) So not Vancouver - I cant help on that one. I cant even describe how amazing it was. We were told it was not always guaranteed we would see any but we ended up seeing 2 massive pods - I was cold and wet but wow it was one of the most amazing experiences to see such creatures out in the wild. I agree with summerday - dress prepared for any sailing trip in colder waters and wrap up really well because the trips are normally very very long. Also take yourself snacks for the same reason. :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
I've never been but t does sound amazing! I hope you'll bring us back pics!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »
That's on the other side of the country, so I wouldn't know, but it sounds like you have some solid advice (just beware, if going in the summer it is hot, typically!  You may want a mix of clothing)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
I went whale watching with my husband in Monterey (since I live in Northern CA), and it was amazing!  We went at the end of May - but that was nearly 8 years ago.  We saw lots of whales and dolphins.  But we were told by the guides that it can really be hit and miss - some  days they are able to find lots of whales, and other days not so much.  But yes, do dress in layers because it can get windy out on the boat.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
warm clothes and lots of tissues as even seing them on tv makes me cry so i would be a jibbering wrek in real life !it really makes me emotional  your one lucky pony !!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
If you do get to see them, you are very lucky. I went on a charter fishing trip last October. Out of Monterey,CA. Myself,my BFF and her father didn't see orcas. Though we did see four grey whales. That was on the way in, after spending all day out on the water. Nearly at the mouth of the bay. The boat stopped, the captain got on the PA system and let us know what was up.

I'd never seen whales before in the wild and it was a moment I'll never forget. They where about a mile away from us. Cruised around for fifteen minutes. That they where in so close, could have possibly been due to orcas being in the area. Whales,dolphins and even fish will stick closer to shore. In an attempt to avoid the local pod (J).

A few things I learned that may help you. Dress in layers, it can be colder on the water then on land. If you get warm you can always remove a shirt or jacket and put it back on later. If you get sea sick, take something. If you are allowed, bring snacks. Being queasy and hungry, not a good combo. Plan for a long day. We left the dock at 5am and returned at 2pm.

Don't forget your camera. But make sure to not to drop it in the water. The two don't mix. Have fun.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »
Like others have said, it can be hit and miss. We went out from Vancouver about 5 years ago. Didn't see Orcas but did see lots of other whales and dolphins.

Dress in layers. Even in summer, once the boat gets going the wind can make you chilly.

No matter what time of year you go, where sunscreen. Even if it's cloudy. Remember, you're not only getting the sun hitting you from the sky, but the reflection off the water. We got scorched on a cloudy day cause we didn't think we'd need it.

Have some kind of plastic bag to keep your camera in for when the boat is going fast. You don't want the spray soaking your camera.

Have fun!

Offline yaizel

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chikapaw.livejournal.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advices and comments!
ill keep an eye on all things you told me and keep on planing!

Thank you!
the better pic of all artist is in the heart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal