collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yukatas-where can I buy quality kimonos online?  (Read 453 times)

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
Yukatas-where can I buy quality kimonos online?
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone here knows a place where to buy good quality authentic japanese yukatas online? Akon is coming up and I wanted to wear some the days I will be staying in the hotel. Here in Texas its too hot for me to cosplay in summer (last year during Akon it was almost 114°F and the prereg line took 4 hours to pass through!) and I saw a few people wearing yukatas and they were so cute and cozy looking! Iknow yukatas are very breathable and thin, made of cotton so I think that would work well for me! Id love a darkish one with flowers on it, and I would love to buy a 'beginners' set that comes with the obi and geta shoes.  I have tried ebay but they are either crappy poor quality,  halloween costumes or womens intimate bedwear. Lol so I am havng a hard time finding legit authentic yukatas! I found a few websites I think look good but I am not sure if they ship to the United States.

Offline Miss Violet

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Takara ponies wanted!
    • View Profile
Re: Yukatas-where can I buy quality kimonos online?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:09:09 AM »
Hello !
i have been searching some yukatas-kimono and i have some nice links :
http://www.kimono-yukata-market.com/kimono/01.html
http://www.ichiroya.com/
and my favorite place to shop:
http://www.chidoriyaworld.com/newhairac.html

feel free to pm me if you need something!
Hugs and ponies!
Takara ponies wanted!i have Milky and Pinky looking for the other ones! Takara outfits and accessories too!

open for ART COMMISSIONS!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
:(

The only places ive seen them are in WDW in Epcot, and when my brother brought one back for my sister when he went to Japan.

Best of luck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone here knows a place where to buy good quality authentic japanese yukatas online? Akon is coming up and I wanted to wear some the days I will be staying in the hotel. Here in Texas its too hot for me to cosplay in summer (last year during Akon it was almost 114°F and the prereg line took 4 hours to pass through!) and I saw a few people wearing yukatas and they were so cute and cozy looking! Iknow yukatas are very breathable and thin, made of cotton so I think that would work well for me! Id love a darkish one with flowers on it, and I would love to buy a 'beginners' set that comes with the obi and geta shoes.  I have tried ebay but they are either crappy poor quality,  halloween costumes or womens intimate bedwear. Lol so I am havng a hard time finding legit authentic yukatas! I found a few websites I think look good but I am not sure if they ship to the United States.

It depends on where you're looking on ebay! 

Here are a few authentic goods sellers: http://www.ebay.com/usr/kimono-bestbuy
http://www.ebay.com/usr/kissako-store

I can't find any of their listings, but Japanese Antiques is pretty much my favorite seller for kimono and such.

Keep in mind, when looking for a Yukata or Kimono, it needs to be as long as you are tall.  If you're 165cm, get one at least 165cm long.  I actually prefer getting mine taller than I am, so I have extra fabric to cover my western build, so I can have a nice ohashori ( middle fold. ).  Also, keep in mind the width.  Kimono and Yukata are definitely not one size.  You'll also need some accessories, at least two koshihimo, a datejime, and an obi.  Don't forget an under robe for it either. 

I also suggest practicing wearing it before you go, so you can learn to put it on.  Yukata isn't too hard, but most people don't get it right, they just put it on like a robe and it looks tacky. 

There are a couple Kimono reference sites and communities out there, I would try Tsuruko Maiko.  :) 

Post Merge: March 21, 2014, 10:35:23 AM

Oh found Japanese Antiques! 

And they have this pretty for sale: 
*link removed

I have been buying from them since 2006!  They're wonderful to work with and super polite!

[live link removed - kkat]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:51:29 AM by kaoskat »

Sprinklecupcake

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
Oh my gosh you guys, thank you! :D So many reaponses already! I a definitly checking these seller out, thank you everyone! <3

Since we are on the topic, if anyone has picture of their yukatas feel free to show them off! They are ao pretty, I can wait to pick one out!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:49 AM »
Nudging this up for you!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
I so rarely wear Yukata.  I'm a performer, and we mainly just wear the full kimono, kit and kaboodle.  I only ever wear Yukata for practice ( and all of mine are pretty dumpy.  They're just rough from many, many uses ) and for Bon Odori in August. 

I do have a shot of my ensemble from this past January though!

And I completely do not know how I am supposed to help someone find things online ( and other interested parties ) if I cannot post a couple of links.  Sure, there are a few sellers one can just search up via the Google, but as someone whose been buying and selling kimono since 2003, there's a lot of hidden treasures and deals to be had if you know where to look, but that requires a hyperlink. 

But if anyone needs any kimono -not Yukata- let me know, like if you're interested in buying.  I need to let go of a few ( I have a horrendous amount of bills to pay right, now you have no idea ) and I'd be happy to help out with measurements and making sure you got a kimono that would fit or would really love, plus the shipping within the US.  Japan to US shipping is so expensive.  I usually always bought in bulk, as 1 kimono generally costs $20 to ship, but buy 3 and it costs $30.  It's just not feasible to buy one at a time unless you're made of money. 

Here's some of my hikizuri ( dance/trailing kimono )

Taisho-era Formal Maiko Hikizuri by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

Summer Ro Hikizuri by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

Willow, Snow and Paper Wishes Hikizuri by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

Deco-esque Abstract Hikizuri 2 by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

Sagi Hikizuri 2 by TsurukoMaiko, on Flickr

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »
oohh pretty dresses ! :) xaflame

Offline Miss Violet

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Takara ponies wanted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
they look amazing!!!! :inlove: :inlove:
Takara ponies wanted!i have Milky and Pinky looking for the other ones! Takara outfits and accessories too!

open for ART COMMISSIONS!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
The only places ive seen them are in WDW in Epcot, and when my brother brought one back for my sister when he went to Japan.

Thats where I got mine from but I also worked for Disney so I got like a 50% discount. I dont really have a use for it except for halloween.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

CottonTALE

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »
I do reccomend visiting http://www.kimono-yukata-market.com as well.

They have a wide range of yukatas to choose from and even a big and tall section too (much to my happiness, as being 5'11 is a problem when getting specialty clothes from Japan.) Plus they have tutorials on how to propery wear and store them too.

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:27:50 AM »
Mine is from Epcot too. I do love it though!

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
And I completely do not know how I am supposed to help someone find things online ( and other interested parties ) if I cannot post a couple of links.  Sure, there are a few sellers one can just search up via the Google, but as someone whose been buying and selling kimono since 2003, there's a lot of hidden treasures and deals to be had if you know where to look, but that requires a hyperlink.

Why not just link to the seller like you did with the other ones? Or give the sellers specific name or even specific search terms and where to search for them. You just can't directly link to active auctions.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:46:57 AM by NoDivision »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal