collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Doll Thread #2  (Read 63892 times)

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ball Jointed Doll Thread #2
« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »
Oh,ok that would explain the price.  Well it's something to think about. Thanks for replying and giving me helpful info you guys. :D
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
Of course, recasts harm the original company, as we are talking about a small, artist-run company. Fairyland has a total of somewhere around twenty employees-- not just casting, twenty people do EVERYTHING-- they aren't a big corporation and recasters hurt them.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2014, 10:24:47 PM »
Of course, recasts harm the original company, as we are talking about a small, artist-run company. Fairyland has a total of somewhere around twenty employees-- not just casting, twenty people do EVERYTHING-- they aren't a big corporation and recasters hurt them.

Can we please leave the ethics of recasting out of this for just once. She asked about the company. Do we really need another twenty page discussion that says the same thing as the last discussion and gets us nowhere.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2014, 10:56:02 PM »

Can we please leave the ethics of recasting out of this for just once. She asked about the company. Do we really need another twenty page discussion that says the same thing as the last discussion and gets us nowhere.

I agree with vertefae on this. 

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2014, 07:04:09 AM »
I think we should have a rule on this board that the subject of recast ethics is off the table because in the end everyone just gets mad and hurt no matter which side they're for.

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #305 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »
I think we should have a rule on this board that the subject of recast ethics is off the table because in the end everyone just gets mad and hurt no matter which side they're for.

This please!!!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #306 on: May 08, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »

This please!!!

Agreed.  SO MUCH.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 08, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
I just have a quick question of the BJD guru's here, how can you tell if a doll is original or recast (I mean if you were purchasing secondhand)? I'm just asking because of what was recently brought up, since I'm newer to this I don't really know all the ins and outs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:22:41 AM by MikeysGrrrl »

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
I just have a quick question of the BJD guru's here, how can you tell if a doll is original or recast (I mean if you were purchasing secondhand)? I'm just asking because of what was recently brought up, since I'm newer to this I don't really know all the ins and outs.

Its honestly not that easy to tell from pictures. A few hints, if the eye wells are thin. However, please keep in mind this can happen with legit dolls too. Details such as fingerprints for dolls that have them aren't as crisp or are not there at all. Occasionally the recast is slightly smaller (not easy to tell in pictures). Some recasts are missing the head plates, although a lot of recasters are putting fake plates on the backs of heads now. Especially on Volks recasts.

If you are ever worried about a doll being a recast ask for the certificate or original box. I only buy dolls that have factory face ups if they are second hand or come with their boxes/certs. If I'm buying new I only buy from licensed dealers or the company directly that makes the dolls.

Of the three recasts I have owned, two fairyland recasts and a recast Lati. None of them could I have known were recasts if they had been sold as legit dolls. The time of shoddy recasts that fall apart, smell etc are gone. Honestly if the recasters started making their own sculpts I guarantee you people would be buying them.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Vertefae  :hug:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
Honestly if the recasters started making their own sculpts I guarantee you people would be buying them.
If they were paying a skilled sculptor and developing their own concepts and product their price would be on par with legit companies and they would no longer be catering to that market that just wants a popular/rare sculpt for cheap as possible regardless of if it's fake or legit, feels entitled to be able to buy a sculpt in whatever skintone they desire, feels that limiteds are unfair and that they have a right to buy something just because they want it, etc. Those recasters have found a way to make an easy profit off of copying someone else's work. They don't seem to have much motivation to make their own.

You are right though, it is getting harder to recognize recasts. Their resin quality I'm hearing is getting better and even things like certificate's of authentication, box art and head plates are being copied. The only way to truly know is to buy directly from the company or authorized dealer or have concrete proof from the original owner that they did. Knowing what the original company faceup looks like, what items were originally included can help indicate legitimacy too. If a price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
I try to avoid buying second hand anymore myself, because I'm afraid. I only will buy 2nd hand dolls that have factory faceups or if they don't, are from people I know and trust in the hobby.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:16:58 AM by 3377345 »

Offline Vertefae

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #311 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the info Vertefae  :hug:

You're welcome.

Honestly if the recasters started making their own sculpts I guarantee you people would be buying them.
If they were paying a skilled sculptor and developing their own concepts and product their price would be on par with legit companies and they would no longer be catering to that market that just wants a popular/rare sculpt for cheap as possible regardless of if it's fake or legit, feels entitled to be able to buy a sculpt in whatever skintone they desire, feels that limiteds are unfair and that they have a right to buy something just because they want it, etc. Those recasters have found a way to make an easy profit off of copying someone else's work. They don't seem to have much motivation to make their own.

You are right though, it is getting harder to recognize recasts. Their resin quality I'm hearing is getting better and even things like certificate's of authentication, box art and head plates are being copied. The only way to truly know is to buy directly from the company or authorized dealer or have concrete proof from the original owner that they did. Knowing what the original company faceup looks like, what items were originally included can help indicate legitimacy too. If a price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
I try to avoid buying second hand anymore myself, because I'm afraid. I only will buy 2nd hand dolls that have factory faceups or if they don't, are from people I know and trust in the hobby.

Thats true. They have certainly found a niche.

lavandula

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #312 on: May 08, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
Your tiny girls are so lovely Vertefae <3. I think the lati bodies are ok :). My oldest one is rock steady, but not so posable because it is a single jointed type body. I have no idea if it's a renewal type or what but it's nice even if it's a bit limited. My Sunny has the type 2 body with double joints and it poses great and it's steady too. Maybe slightly less steady in the ankle than my other girl. No wires needed or sueding anyway :).

I want a basic Sunny to do that centaur thing as well Rhini ^-^. Either I will try it with the centaur I have, or I will order a new centaur or two ;) if Luts ever do another run of them. It's looking sort of grim at the mo.

Here's some spam of Sunny with new eyelashes and eyes <3.

Mini makeover :3 by Buzzingbumblebee, on Flickr
Oh my, she is so cute, yet look so natural!
Her face up is very good.

Which sculpt is she?

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
^ Thank you <3. She has the company faceup ^-^. She is a Circus of Bremen Sunny, and she was from the start my favourite Lati Yellow sculpt and specific doll. So I'm over the moon about finally having her home. The new eyes in a smaller size really helped give her a more natural look I think.

I agree it's best to stay off the recast discussions :). On the norwegian BJD forum they got pretty catty about it and I just hate drama like that. I'm Switzerland :P.

Anyways, I'm excited to see more photos of the new Lati release. They posted a teaser on facebook :). They look lovely, especially since there's another tan Sunny and possibly a lilac Sophie, I'm not sure about the skin tone.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
My Yul is back from faceup!
DSCN0250 by xkelpiex, on Flickr