collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Live Action Jem and the Holograms movie in the works?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Live Action Jem and the Holograms movie in the works?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
Not sure about the plot, but it's Jem so I'm still excited :biggrin: And this means JEM DOLLS! :dribble:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Sarah Jo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
Ugh. Maybe it'll surprise us. But.. based on that plot... for me - nope. *grumpy cat*

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »
Teenagers?  O.o  Online recording sensation?  So, like, the female Bieber?

How old was Jem in the 80's?

It was hinted that Jem was around 19-20 when the show started... so yeah she was young but not Hanna Montana young.  -_-  They are clearly marketing the movie towards tweens.  I can't blame Hasbro for wanting to cash in again on the tween-marketing phenom, but just don't want them to ruin Jem with it. 

Honestly I don't see how this movie could be anything but terrible.  I am hopeful about the merchandise, but not if it features "modernized" teen-Jem. 

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 02:58:41 AM »
I'm waiting to see how this turns out if it does indeed turn out. Jem was a HUGE part of my early childhood lol. I mean some of my earliest memories were rocking out with my Jem cassette tapes. xD It was bigger to me then my little pony, even though I actually had MLP toys and never owned Gem dolls. But I was in it more for the music, was never the least bit interested in anything remotely Barby looking when I was a child lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
"Project will reimagine Jem for a hyperlinked social media age, the producers say, and revolve around an orphaned teenage girl who becomes an online recording sensation, she and her sisters embark on a music-driven scavenger hunt –- one that sends them on an adventure across Los Angeles in an attempt to unlock a final message left by her father."

http://jemthemovie.com/

http://www.superherohype.com/news/295853-jon-m-chu-is-directing-a-jem-and-the-holograms-film

I'm a big Jem fan but this sounds terrible.

Ponyfan

Ummm... may I ask how it sounds horrible? 1.) Jem was sort of an orphan-an older orphan, if you have to call her that- because her father died, and left her starlight records. 2.) The holograms were always going on some sort of adventure somewhere around the globe, ususally tied to a concert performace somewhere, and 3.)The 'message from her father' sounds like it's tied to the whole Jerrica's father/Synergy plot that was a big part of the original series. And a lot of the show took place in LA, so what's so bad about it? :/

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

CrystalJapan

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »
i don't know i kind of switched off when it said "live action" you can get away with the dramatic make up and out there fashion with animation more than live action, if there is one thing i don't want, i don't want jem to be toned down.
that and i hear Christy Marx has been shut out of the whole project
http://comicsalliance.com/jem-and-the-hologams-creator-christy-marx-shut-out-of-live-action-movie/?trackback=fbshare_mobile
i don't know it really doesn't sit right with me, i don't want to say that they are doomed to fail but three guys writing such a female centric show? it's hard not to think that it's going to fall into the pothole of "this is what the girls these days like right?"

I want this to succeed i absolutely loved Jem, but as of late the whole project feels questionable.
If anything i want Christy on the team in the future, i feel that if she at least had some input it would help retain Jems overall feeling.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 07:13:24 AM »
I can't really say why but it just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I guess if you think about you have some of the same of the same major plot points  that were in the original Jem but the description that was posted here sounds like it's taking the original Jem concept and "watering it down" Sorry if that's not the right word  to use. It just seems to be changing so much of what made Jem great and changing it into something else that resembles Jem but just isn't the same. If it's true that Christy Marx isn't involved in this I don't think it can be as great. Christy Marx was part of what made the original Jem so great and I think she was the one that created the whole backstory about the characters also.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Sarah Jo

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »
Ummm... may I ask how it sounds horrible? 1.) Jem was sort of an orphan-an older orphan, if you have to call her that- because her father died, and left her starlight records. 2.) The holograms were always going on some sort of adventure somewhere around the globe, ususally tied to a concert performace somewhere, and 3.)The 'message from her father' sounds like it's tied to the whole Jerrica's father/Synergy plot that was a big part of the original series. And a lot of the show took place in LA, so what's so bad about it? :/

Specifically for me, it's "hyperlinked social media age" and that it makes it sound like they're 16 or below instead of 18+ like the original Jem characters.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
Even if the movie only ends up appealing to the current audience, I just hope there are dolls and they look awesome.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 09:46:42 AM »

Specifically for me, it's "hyperlinked social media age" and that it makes it sound like they're 16 or below instead of 18+ like the original Jem characters.

Okay, valid Point. And Christy not involved? now I'm worried. :(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 09:49:37 AM by Firehooves »

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
*rolls around laughing on the floor* Oh why oh why...

I actually wasn't allowed to watch Jem as a child so I have no idea about any of this. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Sarah Jo

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »

Okay, valid Point. And Christy not involved? now I'm worried. :(

Your points are valid, though, that's just my reasons for being wary and cynical ! :) You're definitely right about the original Jerrica and Kimber losing their parents, and all of the band's crazy adventures, and Emmett Benton's secret of creating Synergy.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
WHY SATAN WHY

I love Jem. If this movie bombs a reboot is more unlikely than ever.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
WHY SATAN WHY

I love Jem. If this movie bombs a reboot is more unlikely than ever.

What if old fans of Jem hate it but it ends up being successful with the tween audience?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
The description of the storyline and the fact that they don't even what Christy Marx involved (even though she would totally have been excited and happy to participate_ means that what they are trying to create will have almost nothing to do with the original Jem concept.  They are basically just slapping the "Jem" name on an entirely new idea.  I'm sure "Jem" won't even have pink hair- and there is no talk at all of the Misfits....

It just doesn't sound like something that will result in either a good product or good merchandise- I'm envisioning some Hanna Montana type dolls- not Jem at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal