collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does anybody know who has the biggest collection in the world?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody know who has the biggest collection in the world?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
Oh my gosh!!! I could not even think what it would be like to have 1000 ponies! I got close to 500 a while back and was getting over whelmed by them all. 

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
I have 88 and thought I was doing well! I've added to my childhood collection, of under 30, ones that I remembered wishing I had as a child, which was a lot! I remember in the my little pony magazine there used to be pictures of girls with their collections, I was so jealous of them! They all had loads more than me...into the hundreds. It was soexciting to look at them tho, and decide which ones I'd love to own.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »
I only collect the ponies I really like so that means that I own way less than half of the G1 ponies. The last time I counted I had 96 something It may be like 100 now Idk for sure. I have the later years more so than the first few waves beacuse that's what I like. So eventho my collection is pretty small I have what I think are grate ponies. Both rare and common but its all the same to me I collect what I like. So the $$$ worth of a pony I couldent care less beacuse looking at the faces trans ports me to chiledhood and I couldent care less what the value is. Everyone has thair own style of collecting whether its common rare or them all that is what makes YOU happy :). As far as the largest no one will ever know as not everyone is invalved in the comunity or may noteven own a computer :P . The ones that make it on TV bless them for being brave enugh to do it and risk sosity backlash good and bad. We serch for the posative things in life but it dosent alwase happen the bad backlash has caused people the loose the fire. Like so many male G4 collectors have quite beacuse people make it not worth it anymore. But over all we as people will only allow things to affect us as much as we allow them to. After all they are little plastic ponies.
:accomplished:

Offline Baby_Honey

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+164)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
I had an enormous, well organized G1 collection with over 1500+ two years ago.
I sold them all due to space issues and hobby change. I remember the Delaney´s who had a house full. I always thought they had the biggest collection ever!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
Anyway, more-or-less, how many different ponies are there across the generations? This would tell us how big it is possible to get.

I for one am pretty sure, that my collection is the biggest on my street, because it's the only one - big fish in small pond, ya know^^

Stating the total of how many ponies in each generation unfortunately does not help too much. Because clearly a lot of people must count doubles of the same ponies or minor variations they collect in order to get to some of the figures we see. G1 runs a little under 700 for unique characters [potentially another 100 if you add variations of the same character and depends on how nit picky you get on what you are calling a different pony], G3 a touch over 400, G2 is about the 140 mark. Nirvana is a figure we have absolutely no clue on right now and are unlikely ever to get to the bottom of.

So if you have 1 of every pony from each of the first 3 generations [minus Nirvanas] then you wont even approach the 1500+ figure that some collectors get to. So as others have mentioned it really comes down to how you collect as well as what you are counting.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
i have..  440 ponys roughly.give or take.  but that is of  course coutning every single pony    as 1. (including the   collector sets) it is  arather small colelction but i'm happy with it ^^   i  get  extras of a few i kno are harder tog et     or i think peopel migh twan then i  trade.  or sell.   i also love merch.  i love having them all throughout  my room!  but i agree reguardlss of the   amount or size.. that isnt what matters..

Rather small?

When I was talking small, I was talking under 100.  Having 400 different items, in this case, ponies, is hardly a small collection! 

Mine hovers between 50-75!  Any more and I get twitchy!  Maybe when I have a bigger place, I'll increase, but I could never see myself having anymore than 200.  At largest, I maybe had 175, but that was for a very short time and a lot of that was from buying up lots and then going to a meet and buying -everything- or so it felt like!
We moved into our own place finally the end of last year where we no longer have to rent. Once we moved I realized I didn't like ponies, dolls ect needing almost an entire room to fit in this house. I now have just about sixty ponies and maybe seven dolls? Then the Breyers I'm slowly cutting down. Nothing wrong with a small collection. I don't want a massive wall of toys overtaking my house. That's too extreme for me.

That said doesn't Sarah Bee have the collection including the large outdoor ponies? I'm sure that would be awesome to see.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 06:28:33 PM »
i have..  440 ponys roughly.give or take.  but that is of  course coutning every single pony    as 1. (including the   collector sets) it is  arather small colelction but i'm happy with it ^^   i  get  extras of a few i kno are harder tog et     or i think peopel migh twan then i  trade.  or sell.   i also love merch.  i love having them all throughout  my room!  but i agree reguardlss of the   amount or size.. that isnt what matters..

Rather small?

When I was talking small, I was talking under 100.  Having 400 different items, in this case, ponies, is hardly a small collection! 

Mine hovers between 50-75!  Any more and I get twitchy!  Maybe when I have a bigger place, I'll increase, but I could never see myself having anymore than 200.  At largest, I maybe had 175, but that was for a very short time and a lot of that was from buying up lots and then going to a meet and buying -everything- or so it felt like!
We moved into our own place finally the end of last year where we no longer have to rent. Once we moved I realized I didn't like ponies, dolls ect needing almost an entire room to fit in this house. I now have just about sixty ponies and maybe seven dolls? Then the Breyers I'm slowly cutting down. Nothing wrong with a small collection. I don't want a massive wall of toys overtaking my house. That's too extreme for me.

That said doesn't Sarah Bee have the collection including the large outdoor ponies? I'm sure that would be awesome to see.

That's my feeling too!  I think even if I had a spare room, it would not be dedicated to ponies.  I have a Feng Shui'd put together shelf that involves two shelf pieces stack with a piano bench on top of all that.  That's my pony wall, it's about 3 ft wide, and 7-9ish tall.  ( I haven't measured ) but that's really just the right space for the collection.  Every time they start overflowing or getting too crowded, then it's time to sell and trim!  I love having a small collection because I can display it so easily.  I would not have the space to display anything more than probably 110, and I counted and I have 89, so right now I can have a few more, especially if I invest in some nice risers! 

One of these days I'll get some pictures up! 

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:06 PM »
Yikes!!!!
I thought I had a lot when I had 200 ponies.
I dont have the space so I downsized to 40 special ponies
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
I figured the Delaney's had the biggest collection. In terms of at least one of every G1 or close to it.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
My collection last I counted was around 300ish but my collection gets bigger/smaller every time I move. Right now I have the space for a bigger collection so I have more ponies. When I have less space I trade/sell off all the ones I don't absolutely love/need. I've been purging more of my stuff in general lately (not ponies) since I moved back in with a hoarding parent it feels claustrophobic and its not even my stuff! So I've been downsizing my stuff so I don't feel so closed in. I'm so looking forward to warmer weather to have a big garage sale. For now I have a sales page on facebook till then.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
My collection last I counted was around 300ish but my collection gets bigger/smaller every time I move. Right now I have the space for a bigger collection so I have more ponies. When I have less space I trade/sell off all the ones I don't absolutely love/need. I've been purging more of my stuff in general lately (not ponies) since I moved back in with a hoarding parent it feels claustrophobic and its not even my stuff! So I've been downsizing my stuff so I don't feel so closed in. I'm so looking forward to warmer weather to have a big garage sale. For now I have a sales page on facebook till then.

I know what it likes to live with a Hoarder. I grew up in a house like that. Well it was not so bad back then. But after I moved out it just got so out of hand! It horrible now, there is no way I could move back home there are paths that go threw the house. The table has not been used or seen for 6 years now! :( 

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »
I was at Ponypalooza in 2000, and I saw the Delaney's pony collection in person back then.  It was absolutely amazing, and well worth all the legends that sprung up about it.  However, there was another collector that was friends with the Delaneys.  She was a quiet collector in the community.  According to the Delaneys themselves, her collection dwarfed the Delaney's collection by far.  I believe her name was Helen.  She had the Delaneys sell off her collection when she started to get too ill to collect anymore.  Judging from what I saw hit ebay, her collection was beyond belief.  Unfortunately she passed away a few years ago.  It was a terrible loss for the pony community.  I had seen her around here and there, and she was a sweet lady.  According to the Delaneys, she was in the running for the largest collection in the world.  I don't know if they ever finished selling off that collection.  They were working on it for several years, and I even bought a few things from it. 

As for who has the title now, I have no idea.  A lot of the big long time collectors have been liquidating their collections in the last several years.  A lot of big collections have been broken up as people need to save for houses, have children, or have other important things come up.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Anyway, more-or-less, how many different ponies are there across the generations? This would tell us how big it is possible to get.

I for one am pretty sure, that my collection is the biggest on my street, because it's the only one - big fish in small pond, ya know^^

Stating the total of how many ponies in each generation unfortunately does not help too much. Because clearly a lot of people must count doubles of the same ponies or minor variations they collect in order to get to some of the figures we see. G1 runs a little under 700 for unique characters [potentially another 100 if you add variations of the same character and depends on how nit picky you get on what you are calling a different pony], G3 a touch over 400, G2 is about the 140 mark. Nirvana is a figure we have absolutely no clue on right now and are unlikely ever to get to the bottom of.

So if you have 1 of every pony from each of the first 3 generations [minus Nirvanas] then you wont even approach the 1500+ figure that some collectors get to. So as others have mentioned it really comes down to how you collect as well as what you are counting.

Again, thank you Cat. ;) Numbers that people throw out really make me wonder sometimes...
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
Ok I went threw my collection. WOW I did sell a lot more then I though. I had almost 450 last time I had counted.
This is what I have right now
84 G1 ponies
61 Loose G3 ponies
60 NIB G3 ponies
42 Loose G4 ponies
73 NIB G4 ponies
That comes to a total of 320 ponies. I am very happy with what I have right now. I have slowed down a bit on buying right now.

And if you want to count I have 4 of the big 3 foot tall G3 plush ponies and two of the smaller PJ ones. They all came from AUS except Frilly Frocks. I could of bought a lot of ponies with all the money I spent on them plushes. But I wanted them plushes so bad.   

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:26 AM »
This would be interesting to know....I have around 1,500.....that is only including g1s and only doubles that are variant or different.....I am not counting any other generation....but I have all u.s....most UK and German(minus a few variants)..
All dutch and so on and so forth...I don't have any south African or Australia I will save those really spendy ones until last....I am lacking in the french area...I only have 2...Lol...but I collect variants too so that counts for s lot once u start getting a lot..Lol...it helps to go to ponydex...but who knows who actually is completing it...I still have a ton to list on there....I think biggest collection on there is 1,600 or so I forgot....I will check...not sure if they are counting one generation or multiple

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal