collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Someone filed a chargeback on me  (Read 1442 times)

Skitterbug

• Trade Count: (0)
Someone filed a chargeback on me
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »
This is not what I needed to wake up to.

I sold a doll on feb16th - a doll and clothing, for 65$.

Today, I recieved a notice from paypal that the buyer is filing a chargeback claiming the payment was unauthorized. I'm digging around desprately for the shipping receipt, but I don't know where it is. I don't even know if it has the buyer's address on it.

I sent them a message asking if there was maybe a problem I could help them with, but given the nature of the chargeback, i don't know if i'm going to hear anything back. The account was new when I sold the item, but had two postive feedback shortly after. (day or two). At least one of those seems to have been a doll purchase, going by the seller's barbie related username.

What can I do? This is a significant chunk of money for me. I don't have any tracking number - shipping the doll with one would have been almost as much as the purchase itself because canada post sucks. I'm worried i'm SOL on this. There's a phone number attached to the transaction. if i get desprate enough, am I within my rights as a seller to call them??

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Someone filed a chargeback on me
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:38:51 AM »
Unfortunately I think you are out of luck unless you can locate proof of shipping-  that means a tracking number.

Did you print through paypal? If you did- you can log into your paypal account and find the shipping information.  I know that paypal automatically adds tracking to US packages - I think it might for some Canada packages too?

If you didn't print through paypal-  you are probably stuck.   You could try calling the phone number and talking with the person? 

Skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
Unfortunately I think you are out of luck unless you can locate proof of shipping-  that means a tracking number.

Did you print through paypal? If you did- you can log into your paypal account and find the shipping information.  I know that paypal automatically adds tracking to US packages - I think it might for some Canada packages too?

If you didn't print through paypal-  you are probably stuck.   You could try calling the phone number and talking with the person? 

I've never been able to find an option to print for canada post, it's only given me options for USPS... which obviously won't work.

Will they really only take tracking numbers as proof of shipping? That seems unfair to me, given how much it can cost...

Is there any way to block people under a certain number of feedback? I've been trying to do that for ages, but I can only block people with negative feedback... which i think is impossible if you only buy.

it was a paypal confirmed address. I figured i'd be safe.

this is the worst time possible for this to happen

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:34:54 AM »
If you can prove that you mailed it- then your "seller protection" should kick in-  but I seem to recall that they require proof of shipping like a tracking number.  Could be wrong though.

Did you print your label through USPS.com?  That is good too since they would have sent you a confirming email-  if you can't find it than can you sign into usps.com and find a copy of the transaction there?

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
Seems like it is becoming a common thing on paypal.  I had one done on Monday as well!

Skitterbug

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
If you can prove that you mailed it- then your "seller protection" should kick in-  but I seem to recall that they require proof of shipping like a tracking number.  Could be wrong though.

Did you print your label through USPS.com?  That is good too since they would have sent you a confirming email-  if you can't find it than can you sign into usps.com and find a copy of the transaction there?

Nope, i just brought the package into my local canada post store.  USPS doesn't serve canada. :/

Offline cloud_weaver

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:52:19 AM »
I know you're in Canada - but this is a big reason as to why I only use paypal to ship.  =/  And now there are giving tracking numbers free when you ship with them, even international, which is a plus.

I think the biggest thing is, you've got to find that receipt.  Unfortunately yes, unless you find proof that you actually mailed it, there's not a lot of hope to defend your claim.  Did you log in the customs form # into the ebay shipping info?  That's a very important step for sellers to log when shipping via ebay. 

How far was the package traveling?  Is it possible that she hasn't received the package yet and got nervous and filed for a chargeback?

Call ebay and speak with one of the reps on the phone and see if they can offer any more advice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you LunaCat for my Kirin Cloud Weaver!
Cloudie’s Wish List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396949
Cloudie’s TRADE List
- http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,396962

Skitterbug

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 11:03:22 AM »
I know you're in Canada - but this is a big reason as to why I only use paypal to ship.  =/  And now there are giving tracking numbers free when you ship with them, even international, which is a plus.

I think the biggest thing is, you've got to find that receipt.  Unfortunately yes, unless you find proof that you actually mailed it, there's not a lot of hope to defend your claim.  Did you log in the customs form # into the ebay shipping info?  That's a very important step for sellers to log when shipping via ebay. 

How far was the package traveling?  Is it possible that she hasn't received the package yet and got nervous and filed for a chargeback?

Call ebay and speak with one of the reps on the phone and see if they can offer any more advice.

The package was only travelling across to new york state. I haven't recieved any communication yet. The customs form I filled out doesn't have any numbers - none ever have. I've found a few of the carbon paper copies of the custom forms i've filled out, but none of them are legible.

Last time I looked into using paypal to ship, i think they only offered ups and extremely expensive express post options through canada post

Offline cloud_weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »

The package was only travelling across to new york state. I haven't recieved any communication yet. The customs form I filled out doesn't have any numbers - none ever have. I've found a few of the carbon paper copies of the custom forms i've filled out, but none of them are legible.

Last time I looked into using paypal to ship, i think they only offered ups and extremely expensive express post options through canada post

My best advice right now, scan in those customs forms to your computer (if possible) and call ebay.  Tell them that you have proof of shipping, and ask who to email the scans to in order to defend your claim.  They are very helpful and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!  :hug:  We've all been there.  :sigh:

Cloudie’s Wish List
Cloudie’s TRADE List

Skitterbug

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:08:35 AM »

My best advice right now, scan in those customs forms to your computer (if possible) and call ebay.  Tell them that you have proof of shipping, and ask who to email the scans to in order to defend your claim.  They are very helpful and should be able to point you in the right direction.

I don't entirely think i made clear what 'not legible' means... There's maybe one or two pen strokes that transferred onto the carbon paper :( there's just about nothing to scan except two lines and a dot.

Offline cloud_weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »

I don't entirely think i made clear what 'not legible' means... There's maybe one or two pen strokes that transferred onto the carbon paper :( there's just about nothing to scan except two lines and a dot.

It's better than nothing though, it would at least show that something was posted, along with the date.  (It should have a date stamp on it from the PO?)

Cloudie’s Wish List
Cloudie’s TRADE List

Skitterbug

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »

It's better than nothing though, it would at least show that something was posted, along with the date.  (It should have a date stamp on it from the PO?)

Mine tends to stamp the reciept, not the customs form. I'm gonna dig a bit more and see if i can find that

edit: I FOUND THE CUSTOMS FORM. It's mostly legible and has the name and address on it, and a date. I've photographed it and uploaded it to paypal.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:55:39 AM by Skitterbug »

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:42 PM »
That's great skitter bug! I have proof of shipping on my chargeback, plus I shipped through PayPal, plus copies of emails sent to the "buyer" that have gone unrepliep and they still are holding my money and reviewing the case.

It's really hard to stay proffesional at this point when a problem occurs that the buyer is claiming is fraudulent charge, yet they won't work with me to fix the situation.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
The main question from me is, does the custom number you provided to Paypal have tracking? A picture of the receipt with their name is not always going to help, although it does not hurt to provide that evidence.  :huh:

It's a really tough situation though since Paypal is going against a credit card company. They tend to have the upper hand. Just keep up to date on your case and call Paypal if necessary. They actually are quite helpful in situations like this.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline cloud_weaver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 01:16:57 PM »
Glad you found the form!  =)  That's so great!  It should help prove that you've posted it, so glad  it turned up.

I would really encourage you to actually call ebay (was it sold through ebay?) and/or paypal and speak with them to plead your case to them.  It will also show them that you're being proactive in this and being honest and forthcoming about the details of the sale.

Cloudie’s Wish List
Cloudie’s TRADE List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal