collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ball Jointed Dolls Question  (Read 505 times)

megsaroni88

• Trade Count: (0)
Ball Jointed Dolls Question
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:31 PM »
I've always found the ball jointed dolls to be beautiful and amazing and so...WANT  :whoa:

But I find them way too expensive for my sensibilities, though you can find clothes and wigs for reasonable prices, the dolls remain high. So my question is, am I just looking in the wrong places? Or is it unreasonable to think I can find a cheapish used doll that I can begin with?

EDIT: What about similar non-resin dolls are they any cheaper? Do they look the same? Is it hard to string a ball joint doll yourself?

Feel free to post pics, too, so I may drool over them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:00:35 PM by megsaroni88 »

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
Re: Ball Jointed Dolls Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:04:38 AM »
BJDs are definitely a very expensive hobby :) I don't think you would have any luck finding a BJD for under $150 RRP - and most dolls around that mark are teeny tiny (my Fairyland Puki was $188 and she is 11cm tall).

It really depends on what you define as 'cheap' but most second hand dolls hold their values quite well. There are definitely cheaper alternatives - I think Hujoo is one of them. I'm sure others can give you much better advice than I can though!

Which dolls have caught your fancy?
Come visit my blog!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 05:15:11 AM »
Bobobie and ResinSoul are probably some of the cheapest BJDs you'll find. They aren't the greatest quality and don't have the best poseablity, but they are not bad dolls, especially not for a first BJD. Hubby and I each got one for our first dolls and even though we have others as well now, we still both adore our Bobobies even if they don't pose as well as the others.

http://www.denverdoll.com/bobobie.php

http://www.denverdoll.com/resinsoul.php

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
Other low cost options are Fdoll/Fantasy Doll, Angel Street, and Mirodoll.

But some of it depends on what style you're looking for and what you consider "cheapish".

Blog

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
I have a 5Star doll and she is a lovely poser. She was around 250. Denver doll offers layaway. That's how I got my doll. Or you can get an invite to Den Of Angels you can find some great deals on there.

megsaroni88

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »
BJDs are definitely a very expensive hobby :) I don't think you would have any luck finding a BJD for under $150 RRP - and most dolls around that mark are teeny tiny (my Fairyland Puki was $188 and she is 11cm tall).

It really depends on what you define as 'cheap' but most second hand dolls hold their values quite well. There are definitely cheaper alternatives - I think Hujoo is one of them. I'm sure others can give you much better advice than I can though!

Which dolls have caught your fancy?

That's probably my problem, I don't know, I've only seen pictures around. But thanks to all these helpful people like you I have a place to start!  :lovey:

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:46 PM »
Layaways is how I afford my dolls too, if you buy new you often have to wait for the company to make them anyway so layaway doesn't matter XD

DOA is often where many go, but you can also try joining facebook groups, they are often less strict than DOA and a great place for people (like me) who don't yet have marketplace access.

I also recommend checking out lesser known doll companies, many are a lot cheaper but still lovely (I have many on my wishlist from random companies I've come across.)  I recommend bjdcollectasy too, they have a ton of links to the various doll companies.

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
My doll-leaves girl was, with faceup, $190. She is 1/4 size (about 16 inches tall) and I adore her.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »
Layaways plans are great.  I've already done two layaways and feel pretty good about it.  But, shopping around and researching what you really like is also important.  I've held off buying before and later found I really didn't want the doll after all.  So, take your time when picking.  If you don't feel certain, wait a bit.  Eventually, one of those companies will make a doll you can't say no to.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

megsaroni88

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
My doll-leaves girl was, with faceup, $190. She is 1/4 size (about 16 inches tall) and I adore her.

Doll-leaves has some adorables, that's for sure!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »
My first BJD was my little otter girl, made by Doll Factory. I got her for $75 on eBay, which was a steal. My second was $100 new from Cherish Doll and I love her, but she doesn't pose well. All my others are $300+ and I invest anywhere from $50-$80 for ther faceups. It's extremely expensive, but I find that I enjoy a doll more when I work hard to save for a high quality doll that I adore, rather than a cheaper one who I don't love as much. Of all my dolls, I think k the fairyland ones are the best posers and very much worth the money.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
If you're willing to compromise you can always make hybrids.

I buy the faces I like the most (for example IOS) but for Lacrimosa, who normally comes on a 80 body - which is way too big for me atm - I have a mirodoll 68 body. I like the body. They're cheap but sturdy and of nice quality. The insides aren't as smoothly finished as..for example my Iple or Fairyland, but the body is good, the service is excellent and the price totally affordable ($120-140 for a good posing doll).

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Junky Spot is a dealer in the US that is pretty much all cheap, in stock dolls. DoA also had a thread of bjds under $300, with sections for each size.

You can find some good deals in the DoA market place, but don't hold your breath. You have to have at least so many posts and have been a member for a month before you are allowed to shop. Ebay is can be good, but they also have a fair number of people selling recasts. (Bootleg bjds)

My firdt bjd is an IslandDoll msd, I got her from an authorized dealer on eBay, which meant i could use PayPal's Bill me later as a layaway. She ran me about $230 with another thirty for shipping.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »

You can find some good deals in the DoA market place, but don't hold your breath. You have to have at least so many posts and have been a member for a month before you are allowed to shop.

The DoA marketplace is great, I've gotten 8 dolls there (4 have since moved on). The wait and post minimum have nothing to do with the great deals you can find there.

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »
It looks like you got answers. But I needed to add my two cents. Be careful of re casts (I own one that was bought for me, they are lovely you will never tell the difference but it feels wrong as all BJD companies are small companies) 5stardoll.com is amazing they are affordable and well made. I own one of each of there sizes, Actually more then one. I have 3 sd's, 1msd, and 2 mini from them. And I love all of them. They pose well, take paint well, and again are affordable. Even the accessories, clothes, eyes, and wigs there are well priced. Not the best in quality for a few things (there wigs are good for a starter doll person but are not high quality) there glass eyes look great in photos, and the clothing is okay made, very barbie in thought process (Ie Velcro closures in back).
These dolls stand right out of the box. So they are great for new people (yes I can talk hours about 5 star as I really do think they are a great stepping stone company).

I have ordered from Bobobie/resin soul before and sold there dolls, they were great when I bought them and was new but I would stay away from them, they need a lot of work to pose well, I had to re  string them, hot glue suade them, and even wire my sd to get her to just stand. So in the long run wasn't worth it for me. I did learn a lot owning these dolls but I always advise new doll owners to stay clear of them if they can. Save up a little longer and go with another company. In less they have a face/mold you REALLY must have. Stay clear till you get a bit more experienced.

Other companies I own, Soom, Abio Angel (no longer availble), Leekworld, and Impldoll

If you want to know any more about these dolls please ask. I also have worked with painting many other companies as I tattoo and faceup dolls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal