collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why hasn't Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
Does anyone know what's up with Hasbro's refusal to release more Applejack related toys? In 2010-2011, there were quite a bit of sets featuring her, but now it seems she is always the last to get a release in some series. Even in the Toy Fair this year, I don't recall seeing one AJ figure. Any thoughts?  :)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
Re: Why hasn't Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:59 PM »
She drank too much "apple cider" and has gone missing.

Seriously, I think she is just not too popular with little girls.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
She's coming as a Funko soon, anyways who cares all we need is another mane 6 brushable, I'm glad we haven't honestly, now to just get rid of the other 5 from the brushable singles.

Lol anyways she isn't a favorite of hasbro because she is not pink purple and rainbows.

For Sale Wants

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
She's the least stereotypical in terms of little girl's interests, so they probably want to push characters that they think will be better sellers instead of taking a chance on her. Pretty pink princesses have long been the focus of the line. And the rest of the mane six are made up of sure hits in the view of marketing - pink, purple, magic, fashion, rainbows, party, fun, friendship, mothering, kindness, AWESOMEness, sparkles, and fabulous hair.

Being a responsible working adult, doing hard physical labour, and being the neutral/logical party member are overall going to be less popular and less entertaining to young girls 3-7 years old. Marketing execs probably imagine little girls walking through the toy aisle and saying "Ugh, I don't want the orange one, she's boring!" so they don't make as many variants of her as the others.

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:57 PM »
She's coming as a Funko soon, anyways who cares all we need is another mane 6 brushable, I'm glad we haven't honestly, now to just get rid of the other 5 from the brushable singles.

Lol anyways she isn't a favorite of hasbro because she is not pink purple and rainbows.

THis is what I mean though- she is 2nd to last in terms of getting a funko release. The least they can do is have a more balanced way of releasing them.

She's the least stereotypical in terms of little girl's interests, so they probably want to push characters that they think will be better sellers instead of taking a chance on her. Pretty pink princesses have long been the focus of the line. And the rest of the mane six are made up of sure hits in the view of marketing - pink, purple, magic, fashion, rainbows, party, fun, friendship, mothering, kindness, AWESOMEness, sparkles, and fabulous hair.

Being a responsible working adult, doing hard physical labour, and being the neutral/logical party member are overall going to be less popular and less entertaining to young girls 3-7 years old. Marketing execs probably imagine little girls walking through the toy aisle and saying "Ugh, I don't want the orange one, she's boring!" so they don't make as many variants of her as the others.

I see where your coming from here…I guess coming from the South she's the last popular here being all country and what not. I just think if they are going to release the mane 6, they should do so equally, and if kids watch the show they will know who she is, and if not they can pick up pinkie pie or something.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Why hasn\'t Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
Well she is my cousins favorite and she is the "target age group" she likes that she is a cowgirl.

Post Merge: March 10, 2014, 07:12:37 PM

THis is what I mean though- she is 2nd to last in terms of getting a funko release. The least they can do is have a more balanced way of releasing them.

Very smart I think the way they released these, if they came out with all the mane six right away wouldn't make much sense, it keeps people interested waiting for characters they want, and waiting a bit for her is smart since we gotta face it she is probably overall the least favorite from the mane 6 for the majority. They released very popular characters first to get people interested, then people want to complete the set, it's all about marketing and what not, and people are really loving Rarity more and more it seems, so people will be so excited when she is released.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:13:27 PM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
Re: Why hasn\'t Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »
Well she is my cousins favorite and she is the "target age group" she likes that she is a cowgirl.

Post Merge: March 10, 2014, 07:12:37 PM

Very smart I think the way they released these, if they came out with all the mane six right away wouldn't make much sense, it keeps people interested waiting for characters they want, and waiting a bit for her is smart since we gotta face it she is probably overall the least favorite from the mane 6 for the majority. They released very popular characters first to get people interested, then people want to complete the set, it's all about marketing and what not, and people are really loving Rarity more and more it seems, so people will be so excited when she is released.

Good point :)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
In the beginning they used to push AJ a lot I feel. She and Rarity were the first Fashion Style ponies to get released, she had one of the first playsets, first vehicle sets, she was featured in the pre-show molded figure set with Pinkie, Twilight, Spike, and Celestia. Maybe it had to do with her connection to G1, them bridging the gap between old and new MLP. I just think that over the years they have seen that AJ is the least popular with both little girls and adult fans. Bronies joke all the time about her being a "background pony" so she's left out of lines geared towards adult fans too like Funko's various products (yes, I know she's getting a Funko figure this year, but I mean POP!, Cupcake Keepsakes, etc.).

It just feels more deliberate lately with her being left out of the McDonald's set, left out of the TRU exclusive set, her brushable singles generally being left for last/only produced in small amounts. A lot of us don't care because we're sick of seeing mane six brushables or w/e but I do sort of feel bad for little kids who like her best. :P I think she's up next for a Build-a-Bear plush though if that's any consolation.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline okamigirl64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
In the beginning they used to push AJ a lot I feel. She and Rarity were the first Fashion Style ponies to get released, she had one of the first playsets, first vehicle sets, she was featured in the pre-show molded figure set with Pinkie, Twilight, Spike, and Celestia. Maybe it had to do with her connection to G1, them bridging the gap between old and new MLP. I just think that over the years they have seen that AJ is the least popular with both little girls and adult fans. Bronies joke all the time about her being a "background pony" so she's left out of lines geared towards adult fans too like Funko's various products (yes, I know she's getting a Funko figure this year, but I mean POP!, Cupcake Keepsakes, etc.).

It just feels more deliberate lately with her being left out of the McDonald's set, left out of the TRU exclusive set, her brushable singles generally being left for last/only produced in small amounts. A lot of us don't care because we're sick of seeing mane six brushables or w/e but I do sort of feel bad for little kids who like her best. :P I think she's up next for a Build-a-Bear plush though if that's any consolation.

That's what I'm hoping…but knowing Hasbro they will try for Luna or Celestia next BAB for a higher profit.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
I think she's up next for a Build-a-Bear plush though if that's any consolation.

Yeah, only because she's the LAST of the mane 6 left. And she's always last, because she always comes last in the polls of favorite mane 6, but a lot of that is brony-influenced. I don't think little girls dislike Applejack as much as some of you think they do. Here down south, it's pretty common to find adults AND children who love AJ. My mom adores the whole Apple family.

AJ is actually my 2nd fav pony next to Twilight. Used to be 3rd, but RD seems more and more overrated as time goes on so I've bumped up the AJ love. If Hasbro were more creative, they could make a lot of sales using AJ. Imagine an Apple Family-themed play kitchen, or an AJ cash register, they could have family farm-themed kits in the play food aisle with apples, pies, fritters, zap apple jam, etc. I think toys like this would do really well.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I have to say AJ is my least favorite character, but one of my friends absolutely adores her :)
My Wish List

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 08:11:45 PM »
I think she's up next for a Build-a-Bear plush though if that's any consolation.

Yeah, only because she's the LAST of the mane 6 left. And she's always last, because she always comes last in the polls of favorite mane 6, but a lot of that is brony-influenced. I don't think little girls dislike Applejack as much as some of you think they do. Here down south, it's pretty common to find adults AND children who love AJ. My mom adores the whole Apple family.

AJ is actually my 2nd fav pony next to Twilight. Used to be 3rd, but RD seems more and more overrated as time goes on so I've bumped up the AJ love. If Hasbro were more creative, they could make a lot of sales using AJ. Imagine an Apple Family-themed play kitchen, or an AJ cash register, they could have family farm-themed kits in the play food aisle with apples, pies, fritters, zap apple jam, etc. I think toys like this would do really well.

They still could have chosen not to make her! Originally they had just planned to make Pinkie and RDash. Their success influenced them to make more and they could have picked a pony they felt would make them more money.

I agree there is a lot they could do with the Apple family toy-wise. I don't think we've ever actually had an Apple sisters brushable playset (just molded figures). Apple Bloom is either with the CMC or random ponies like Pinkie. A Big Mac/AJ/AB playset would do so well. Get on it, Hasbro. :P

But I still think her being minimized in the toy line has a lot to do with her popularity with children. They are the target market and Hasbro generally isn't asking or looking at bronies for their opinion even if they toss them a couple bones by producing bg pony brushables. If she were popular with kids they would make more toys of her. I'm not saying kids hate her by any means, just that it seems, or at least Hasbro is acting like she ranks lowest on the favorites list and prefer the other five/the princesses.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:13:41 PM by Ice Crystal »

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:18 PM »
Man, this is so weird...I was thinking about this exact topic today!  I am wearing my second pair of HT MLP PJ pants and just freakin' realized she is the only mane 6 pony not on them  :enraged:!  My order of from favorite to least of mane 6 is:

Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie

I just don't understand the lack love.  I think it's awesome AJ has been in all the lines except G2 (got that covered with a custom for me though, also not counting G3.5).  I happen to have realized I have an army of her across generations.  I love that AJ is a cowgirl and wish there were more merch/adult stuff of her, not necessarily toys since I don't like them recycling the mane 6 and princesses constantly.  Where the heck is Big Mac and Granny Smith for brushables?!  The Apple family is pretty much awesome!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:51 PM »
Man, this is so weird...I was thinking about this exact topic today!  I am wearing my second pair of HT MLP PJ pants and just freakin' realized she is the only mane 6 pony not on them  :enraged:!  My order of from favorite to least of mane 6 is:

Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Rarity
Twilight Sparkle
Pinkie Pie

I just don't understand the lack love.  I think it's awesome AJ has been in all the lines except G2 (got that covered with a custom for me though, also not counting G3.5).  I happen to have realized I have an army of her across generations.  I love that AJ is a cowgirl and wish there were more merch/adult stuff of her, not necessarily toys since I don't like them recycling the mane 6 and princesses constantly.  Where the heck is Big Mac and Granny Smith for brushables?!  The Apple family is pretty much awesome!

Agreed. I am holding my breath for some more male brushables, starting with Big Mac (I would also just love having a male mold like that to work with for customs!)

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »

I would love an Apple Family-themed play kitchen!

I've been loving Applejack a lot more lately and she's been bumped up on my favorites list to #4 of the main characters now. I'm eagerly waiting for the Build-a-Bear plush that will hopefully come. I would totally buy her. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal