collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need (urgent) Sunfading Help!  (Read 170 times)

Offline FluffleNuff

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • ME MYSELF AND PONY
    • View Profile
Need (urgent) Sunfading Help!
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
My poor, poor Fizzy!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The marker stains are definitely recent, will that make them easier to remove?

There is also no shortage of sun in sunny Singapore, so I'm not worried there. I do need help in what to do and what not to do, how long I should sunfade and other stuff like that because I've never sunfaded before!

Please help me, this girl was given to me by a really dear friend of mine in Near Mint condition and I'd really like to restore her back to normal!
A PONY A DAY KEEPS THE SMILES ON YOUR FACE

Offline rosietrot

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Made it.
    • View Profile
    • RosieTrot's Pony Spot
Re: Need (urgent) Sunfading Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:14:26 PM »
That looks like a job for acetone, not sunfading.   Sun fading will make her entire body lighter, unless you mask it off, and with a dark color of marker like that it may actually set it in just a lighter version of that color over time.  I would first try isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol and in the highest percentage you can find, usually up to 99%) or simple dawn soap and water, if that doesn't work, then acetone (active ingredient in nail polish remover) and if it doesn't go for that you can choose something more intense like xylene (I've always had success with it but it's more dangerous and requires protective gear) or sunfading. 

Anyone else have magic cures?
Trades!<---some trades, sales and want list, as posted on the arena
Store!<---The "Official" Store (or as official as it gets...also all tradable!)
Want List!<---Stuff I'm looking for
ME! <--- and if you want to know who I am, a picture from my blog

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
Oooh, yeah, I've heard it's risky to sunfade anything other than white or yellow ponies, because it's very easy to sunfade the mark away AND the color of the plastic!! :( So you might end up with big white blotches to replace the blue marks!

I'd do as rosietrot suggested, but if those don't work, I'd say try covering the rest of her in tin-foil and test-fading a spot on her body that might not be as obvious. Could you try, say, the bottom of a hoof, and see how her plastic takes it?

Ultimately, you have to decide which is more annoying to you; blue stains, or white/lighter splotches, which is what sunfading might result in. :(

Here's an example of a much-darker pony than yours, just as an example; the "M" is gone, but now she has a greyish spot on her shoulder in the shape of the old mark!

For my own sunfading experiments, I think I did several weeks (three?) on each side, for the two-sided ponies, and there was a marked difference in almost all of my test subjects. (Age spots, however, did not fade, ditto for regrind and cancer.) So for such a delicate procedure, I'd check her at the end of every day, to make sure she's not fading too much!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:23:39 PM by Snapdragon »
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:17 AM »
Oh, acetone will likely take that right off.  :) Best of luck with cleaning her up!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
Be very careful on her cheek with the acetone though.  It will also stop the paint off her.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
I do agree acetone is a good first bet. And if you have no luck on that then a magic eraser is a better idea. If the staining is recent it has not had time to soak into the plastic and therefore will hopefully be easy to remove.

Sun fading however, especially if you are in a sunny country, and even as a last resort, will work for you. Excluding hair colour and paint on symbols, even if you popped a whole pony in the sun the staining of ink will fade before her body will. And even if it does cause a body colour issue, its a minimal fade unless you over expose the plastic. As per Snaps picture, it is possible for the colour to change but that really is not super common and it if you get a colour change with sun then you would just be as likely to get one with rubbing alcohol/acetone or even a magic eraser on that particular pony. Its all about doing things carefully and keeping an eye on the your work.

Good luck! I am sure you will get her looking great again. And if you do sun fade her make sure to cover her symbols and hair as those pink shades will fade pretty fast.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal