collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Special Treatment for Color-Changing and Crimped Hair  (Read 280 times)

Offline Bibsy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Special Treatment for Color-Changing and Crimped Hair
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
I recently added two ladies with crimped hair to my herd.  The first is Rockin' Beats Sweet Notes and the second in Sun Dazzle SHS Sunsplasher, one streak of her mane changes color.  Sweet Notes' hair is in good condition, but Sunsplasher's is frizzy at the ends.

Has anyone here had any luck taming crimped hair frizz without loosing the crimps?  I'm also wondering if there's anything I shouldn't do because the hair is color-changing.  I'd typically give them both a wash and overnight conditioner treatment (if it were straight, I'd use a flat iron), but wanted to check if something as simple as water, or warm water, could damage the crimps/color-change effect.

Thanks!

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Special Treatment for Color-Changing and Crimped Hair
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
I don't have an answer but I'll give this a bump because I wanted to ask about colour changing hair too! Seaflower is winging her way through the postal system to me, I've never had a colour changing pony before and was wondering if hot or boiling water would damage her.

Offline rosietrot

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Made it.
    • View Profile
    • RosieTrot's Pony Spot
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
I've never had a problem with a flat iron and it affecting color changing hair HOWEVER the color changing hair is more heat sensitive and more prone to stretching and melting so using a cooler iron is advisable.  I specifically use one that has a knob that shows the temperature instead of numbered settings and don't go above 285 (usually closer to 270) for color changing hair.  Straightening it with a leave-in conditioner seems to help even if it gunks up your iron a bit, (it's cleanable) although strangely, heat-"protecting" products like straightening serum seem to make it MORE likely to melt. Weird, I know. I make sure to move the iron quickly and go over it many times instead of going over it slower and fewer times since it's more sensitive, but it's never seemed to change the color-changing effects.  Anyone have a different experience?
Trades!<---some trades, sales and want list, as posted on the arena
Store!<---The "Official" Store (or as official as it gets...also all tradable!)
Want List!<---Stuff I'm looking for
ME! <--- and if you want to know who I am, a picture from my blog

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
I have had MAJOR problems with using heat on color changing hair (irons) on G1's. Not only did the frizz return after a length of time, but it destroyed the color changing properties in the hair. I strongly advise not to work with heat in the taming of the locks :(

Offline Bibsy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:13:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice/warnings.  I'm going to take some before photos on the color-change effect and then start by trying a soak/deep conditioner before I try any heat treatments.   It's great advice about special heat-treatment shampoo/conditioning products.  It's strange that they would be more likely to damage hair.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
I understand a low heat doesn't damage the hair, but I ruined my childhood taf sundance this way, and it was a pretty crippling feeling for a while knowing that I didn't help her at all and just made her worse. I don't wish that feeling on anyone.

Just be careful hunni <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
I completely agree with Kiss. While you can use straighteners/flat irons on colour changing hair you have to be so careful. It is so susceptible to heat that it will often melt. Its a very hard judgement call. If you are very careful, use a very low heat, flatten only very small sections at a time and never more than one or two heat swipes at a time in order to prevent heat build up in the hair. If you do it, just be aware you may end up with damaged hair. It will also destroy any remaining colour changing properties within the hair.

As for crimped hair you can still wash it - just ensure that you wash it gently and never with warm water. The hair is chemically treated to get the wave but enough heat and it will straighten to its natural straight position. Cup the hair in your hand and run water through it. Also do not allow it to dry with the pony standing up as the weight of water will pull the hair down - dry the hair lying on its side. However, while you can risk flat irons on it if you are brave, you will remove the crimp. Likewise a boiled water dip could have a similar effect. Personally I think you need to judge as to whether the issues are bad enough you want to loose the crimp. At best I would condition and wash it aware that you will loose some of the crimp and perhaps tame it a little but at least you will not loose the whole thing. A nice kids detangler, baby oil or even coconut oil rubbed through the hair the rinsed may also help you tame it a little without risking anything.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal