collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The 'average proportions' doll  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
The 'average proportions' doll
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »
I found this interesting article today about a new doll with the proportions of an average American 19-year-old female. Well worth the read, I think!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingiano/this-barbie-doll-has-the-porportions-of-an-average-american
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:26:39 PM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: The 'normal proportions' doll
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »
I saw this too. I think she looks really cute! I hope he's successful.

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
Kinda tempted to buy... Glad to see he's funded!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
I think this is such a beautiful initiative, and about time! I love this guys outlook, I do hope Lammily is a success! (not sure about the name tho)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »
I do remember this coming up a while back-  I love the idea of it although I think they would do better if they had cuter clothing (which I think is what kids focus on)

Love the jointed ankles

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:32 AM »
Looks nice, though I'm not sure how much it really matters what dolls look like. I think it's the real life people that mostly affect kids and their body picture.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »
Ill be interested in seeing what results pop up.

unfortunately, ill have to agree with real people affecting kids though.

The amount of times ive heard my own grandmother say some not soo nice things when both my sister and I were average was insane..and I don't recall caring what Barbie looked like figure wise.  But that was the past..and this is now.  So we will see :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying that kids' body image is based solely on dolls and toys, but as they are part of the world around us they will at least in part affect our ideals on some level, and I also believe there's been serious studies that have shown this to be the case.

Personally I think the key word is diversity. I think it's important to show young girls and boys that it's ok to be tall, short, skinny, curvy, blue eyed, have a wonky nose, whatever, as long as you are healthy. If dolls like this will affect 1 single child in a positive way, I think it's all worth it.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Oh she looks much better than her first rendition.  I agree variation is great! 

I hope they don't really mean it when they say she's going to only dress in "normal" clothes like GAP.  She's never to wear anything goth, steampunk, never in clothing from the middle ages, princess, wild west and so on?  I guess I don't like the implication that liking things like that isn't normal. :P

Oh... I guess I'm referring to a slightly different article.

"Most fashion dolls on the market are dressed like princesses or wear funky outfits," Lamm told HuffPost. "I wanted Lammily to wear clothes that Gap or J. Crew might design. There's no reason why simple everyday clothes design can't be transferred to doll clothes."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/normal-barbie-kickstarter-nickolay-lamm-lammily-doll_n_4826502.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:00:53 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline DireRabbit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »
I very much like this! :lovey: But, however, I would love to see a series of dolls with many different body types as opposed to always average.

...Also, I'm concerned about whether or not the dolls would catch on. Right now nothing "jumps out" at me besides the normal proportions, and I don't think children value that near as much as adult collectors.

papier

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
Oh she looks much better than her first rendition.  I agree variation is great! 

I hope they don't really mean it when they say she's going to only dress in "normal" clothes like GAP.  She's never to wear anything goth, steampunk, never in clothing from the middle ages, princess, wild west and so on?  I guess I don't like the implication that liking things like that isn't normal. :P

Oh... I guess I'm referring to a slightly different article.

"Most fashion dolls on the market are dressed like princesses or wear funky outfits," Lamm told HuffPost. "I wanted Lammily to wear clothes that Gap or J. Crew might design. There's no reason why simple everyday clothes design can't be transferred to doll clothes."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/05/normal-barbie-kickstarter-nickolay-lamm-lammily-doll_n_4826502.html

Yeah, and this is what will be the biggest barrier to its success.

Will this doll stand out among the myriad of fantastic, over-the-top doll lines that are out there right now? Is a little girl or boy going to pick this doll over a MH or a Disney Princess or an Equestria Girl? And the answer is: probably not.

If even Bratz is struggling to the point where the company puts it on hiatus for a year to get its proverbial shizz together, then how can this dowdy girl hope to compete? I'm all for different doll body types (although I hate the sense of righteousness these sorts of people seem to have, like they're saving people's children or something,) but ultimately it's a pointless gesture if the doll doesn't appeal to its target market.

eta: to clarify, her proportions are fine. That's not the problem. The problem is more with her image: will she stand out among the competition?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:26:30 PM by papier »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
^ Agreed.  It will have the same problems as trying to make a "normal" toy for boys by eliminating themes like space warriors, dinosaur hunters, alien robots and so on.  Instead they'd get a regular man wearing gap clothes.  That might work for little boys and girls. Playskool range.  But I think older kids want themes that inspire them.

Or maybe it's because I've met people who really dislike fantasy of any sort.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 03:46:12 PM »
I think it's a nice idea, but I'm not a fan of marketing it as "normal" proportions, even if they do mean it in the statistical sense - because how is that empowering for people who don't match that "normal" doll either?

Looks nice, though I'm not sure how much it really matters what dolls look like. I think it's the real life people that mostly affect kids and their body picture.
I don't think the creator is labouring under the assumption that kids define themselves 100% (or even mostly) in comparison to toys, but when the toys are in line with other cultural assumptions and norms (beauty ads, celebrities, family pressures, and so on) they're still a part of the bigger cultural picture.

Material things are rarely the most important thing, but that doesn't make them unimportant, y'know?

It will have the same problems as trying to make a "normal" toy for boys by eliminating themes like space warriors, dinosaur hunters, alien robots and so on.  Instead they'd get a regular man wearing gap clothes.  That might work for little boys and girls. Playskool range.  But I think older kids want themes that inspire them.

Eh, it's one toy - I think they guy's goal is to have it out there as an alternative, not to turn every toy into this one's clone.  Surely there's room in a kid's playroom (or a collector's shelf) for this doll and Monster High, and Barbie, and disney princesses, and action dolls and any number of other toys.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:48:43 PM by Hervoyel »

Blog

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »
eta: to clarify, her proportions are fine. That's not the problem. The problem is more with her image: will she stand out among the competition?

Good point. But perhaps she will stand out simply because she's the only one out there that isn't an over-the-top fantasy?

Material things are rarely the most important thing, but that doesn't make them unimportant, y'know?

Very wisely said!!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

papier

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »

Good point. But perhaps she will stand out simply because she's the only one out there that isn't an over-the-top fantasy?

I think it's possible, but if she's going into the 'girl next door' doll bracket like Liv or Moxie Girls, she still needs to have some kind of 'wow' factor  - outstanding clothes, fun gimmicks, interesting back story - it must be an engaging brand.

So far the main focus of the doll is entirely on her proportions being more PC than Barbie's, but that stuff is there to please the parents, not the kids. What will the kids love about her?

I sincerely wish this guy well, but I hope he's not planning on her proportions being her only selling point. I'm guessing he's not that stupid, but this has been tried before, several times. Dolls like this come around every so often and they always fail.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal