collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to go about picking a pony for a tattoo?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
Re: How to go about picking a pony for a tattoo?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »
Oh girl I didn't know you were wanting a pony tat! I picked twisty tail for mine cause she was a pony I had as a child whom I loved,  She was my favorite of the herd.
You must share pictures of your sketch when it's Ready!
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
If I were getting a pony tattoo, I'd go with my old favorite from childhood: Little Flitter.  :)  If you have a favorite pony, I think that would be the best place to start.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
How about you design your own pony for the tattoo? Then she will be exactly what you want, I'm in the process of designing my own for a pony tattoo I am getting in the future and it feels much better than deliberating over Snuzzle, or Pinkie Pie, or Bow Tie, or Desert Rose, or Fluttershy or...

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 05:43:30 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! After so much searching I still have no idea. Hahaha xD I am thinking perhaps baby Glory and baby Moondancer as they have all the colors I had in mind and are just so darn cute :3 anyone feel free to post pictures of your tats ^.^ I have yet to start sketching but once I do I will post it! :3
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
this is why I can't get a tattoo. I know once I finally picked a design, I would want a 'better' one two months later. I'm too non-committal for a tattoo.

Offline Tulip

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »
thankfully, the pony for me was an easy pick! Current G4 cartoon Pinkie Pie matches my personality perfectly, and is the friend I aspire to be. (Although I've yet to make balloons or cake appear from out of nowhere!)

I had the outline done last summer, and will be going back to have it coloured this summer! (I'm a poor uni student, didn't have enough to have it all done in one go, lol)
Back after a 6+ year hiatus!

Offline zabe77

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2014, 10:59:38 PM »
It looks like you've had lots of good advice here, so I don't have much to add. Other than, if you're really unsure, I wonder if you can get some sort of temp version of it made up so you can try it before you get it done permanently? Does that option exist?

I hope you share once you're done! I don't have any tattoos myself but love to see them on others. I think if I got one myself I'd go for a childhood favorite... if you're looking for specific colours though, there used to be a site that sorted ponies by colours... I'll have to see if I still have the link...

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! After so much searching I still have no idea. Hahaha xD I am thinking perhaps baby Glory and baby Moondancer as they have all the colors I had in mind and are just so darn cute :3 anyone feel free to post pictures of your tats ^.^ I have yet to start sketching but once I do I will post it! :3

Although Baby Glory and Baby Moondancer are my favourite G1 babies, I would just like to mention some things for you to keep in mind. Because these ponies are white, the white ink will fade faster, can possibly develop a yellowish tint over time, will require more shading time (therefore more pain from constantly passing over the same area) to get the desired colour and they don't work with every skin tone.

It's a good idea to discuss the design idea you want with your artist, even if you just want to discuss colours. Some colours are more prone to fading, while others reject easily, and some cause allergic reactions (even in people who have previous tattoos).

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Pretty much echoing the above, be careful about colors you want. Lighter colors fade faster and can distort on your skin, while darker colors can cause reactions (blue and red). I would get an appointment with an artist and bring a bunch of ponies you like, and they will help you decide which would look best on your skin, as skin is so vastly different than paper.

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
I don't have any pony tattoos, but I am heavily tattooed and worked in a shop for a few years. Yellow and white fade the fastest and will fade quickly with lots of sun exposure. As others have said everyone's skin is different though. I am very pale and still have white and yellow in my tattoos, but I also don't spend much time outside and take care to use uv lotion if I will be outside.

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information on tattoos! I had no idea certain colors are more prone to fading and that will definitely affect my decision. I have very pale, freckled skin so white ponies probably would not be the best choice :silly: I plan to put the tattoo over my rib area so it would hardly have any exposure to sun unless I were to wear a bathing suit which is maybe once or twice a year xD I need to find an artist in my area when time gets closer to getting it.
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information on tattoos! I had no idea certain colors are more prone to fading and that will definitely affect my decision. I have very pale, freckled skin so white ponies probably would not be the best choice :silly: I plan to put the tattoo over my rib area so it would hardly have any exposure to sun unless I were to wear a bathing suit which is maybe once or twice a year xD I need to find an artist in my area when time gets closer to getting it.
I was considering getting Rarity for my second pony tat, but my artist warned me that she would be mostly purple and blue shadows as it is very hard to do white.
Those two babies would look very cute together though!
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
None of my ponies (I have 3 so far) are actual ponies. I just picked out colors and cutie marks I like best. I've found that ponies with a contrasting body and mane seem to come out the nicest.

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
What about a persona? Either existing or one you create for yourself.

With yellow in a tattoo it really does depend on the individual. I have two tattoos both with different shades of yellow, I am very pale but both have held the yellow colour quiet well. One is a normal yellow (rainbow dash symbol) and I have a tattoo of my cat jack on my leg, one of his eyes is a sun yellow and very vibrant. This type of colour for a pony would probably more be used as shading over full colour.

Would love to see your end result!

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
It looks like you've had lots of good advice here, so I don't have much to add. Other than, if you're really unsure, I wonder if you can get some sort of temp version of it made up so you can try it before you get it done permanently? Does that option exist?

I hope you share once you're done! I don't have any tattoos myself but love to see them on others. I think if I got one myself I'd go for a childhood favorite... if you're looking for specific colours though, there used to be a site that sorted ponies by colours... I'll have to see if I still have the link...
Strawberryreef.com sorts ponies by color

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal